Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

Goofyernmost

That ignoramus Shakespeare!

quote-friends-romans-countrymen-lend-me-your-ears-mark-antony-77-60-76.jpg
For heavens sake, if you cannot see the difference between that usage addressing a non-specific grouping to identify them as a group and using it in the way the Disney thinks CM's should use it, then there is no sense in continuing this discussion. There are many acceptable ways to use the word Friend, just not the Disney way.

UNCgolf

I suspect you didn’t open the spoiler. The examples I shared are all from the English language, as recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary. “Friends” has been used for centuries in English as a friendly (!) way of addressing people you don’t know. Walt Disney himself used it in the clip I shared a few pages back.

I posted several pages earlier and I don't think anyone knew what I was talking about, so I may be the only person that likes golf/loves watching the Masters, but Jim Nantz (a sportscaster) opens the Masters TV broadcast every day with "Hello friends." He's been doing it for decades now.

Last edited:

JohnD

And if you need to get their attention?

"Hello, head over behind the yellow line."​
"Hello, head over behind the yellow line."​
"HELLO, head over behind the yellow line."​
"HELLO!! HELLO!! OVER HERE. PLEASE HEAD OVER BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE!"​
"What, you talking to us?"
Social phrases like: "sir, ma'am, friend, pal, chief, guys, son, mister, miss, etc..." are used to establish a social link to give a direction, or ask a question. Seems odd to just start suddenly talk to someone not paying full attention to you.
I would agree with "Sir" and "Ma'am" but you can't use those anymore. They're "cisgender" and you could be "misgendering" don't you know. So we get called "Friend" instead. My response? "Yes, pal?"

But in your example, after "You talking to us?", a simple "Yes" would follow.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I would agree with "Sir" and "Ma'am" but you can't use those anymore. They're "cisgender" and you could be "misgendering" don't you know. So we get called "Friend" instead. My response? "Yes, pal?"

But in your example, after "You talking to us?", a simple "Yes" would follow.
Do you need an explanation of these terms you put in quotes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom