Rumor Disney Characters Being Added to IASW

Castle Cake Apologist

Almost half of the opening day attractions at Disneyland were IP based.

That's not really true at all.

Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad
Main Street Cinema
Main Street Shooting Gallery
Disneyland Street Railway
Jungle River Cruise
Mark Twain Riverboat
Golden Horseshoe Revue
Stagecoach Ride
Sleeping Beauty Castle
King Arthur Carrousel
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
Peter Pan’s Flight
Snow White’s Adventures
Dumbo The Flying Elephant

Autopia
Tomorrowland Boats
Space Station X-1

So 7 attractions out of 18, and all contained in Fantasyland.

mickeyfan5534

That's not really true at all.

Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad
Main Street Cinema
Main Street Shooting Gallery
Disneyland Street Railway
Jungle River Cruise
Mark Twain Riverboat
Golden Horseshoe Revue
Stagecoach Ride
Sleeping Beauty Castle
King Arthur Carrousel
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
Peter Pan’s Flight
Snow White’s Adventures
Dumbo The Flying Elephant

Autopia
Tomorrowland Boats
Space Station X-1

So 7 attractions out of 18, and all contained in Fantasyland.
Cinema showed Mickey cartoons and Jungle Cruise was based on the True Life Adventures. That makes 9.

disnyfan89

Getting that count usually involves stretching the definition of IP. It also ignores the very clear trend over the next decade of adding more original content. Even then, none of the IP content in early Disneyland would have been approved under today’s franchise mandate.

Oh haven’t you heard... Disneyland park was based on the hit IP television show Disneyland! :cool:

Castle Cake Apologist

Cinema showed Mickey cartoons and Jungle Cruise was based on the True Life Adventures. That makes 9.

Main Street Cinema did not show Mickey Mouse shorts when it opened. It showed short films of cultural importance to the time period in which Main Street is set.

On opening day, Main Street Cinema showed:
"A Dash Through the Clouds," a 1912 drama about biplanes
"Dealing for Daisy," a 1915 western
"Fatima's Dance," a short film depicting a belly dancer
"Gertie the Dinosaur"
"The Noise of Bombs," a Keystone Kops Comedy
"Shifting Sands," a 1918 Gloria Swanson melodrama

Jungle River Cruise was very very loosely inspired by their work on True Life Adventures, but it was not an attraction about the documentaries, nor was it meant to promote them. There's a significant difference. Aside from that, True Life Adventures are nature documentaries. Unless you believe that Disney owns the rights to lions and nature, I'd hardly call it IP in the traditional sense.

Last edited:

Minthorne

The whole point of the ride is a celebration of the common humanity of peoples from around the world and the potential of the youth to build a better world by forging connections across geography and cultures.

Or is that too deep for today’s Disney?

Let's go deeper. Like the bottom of the pit. They are soul-less dolls that wanted to dominate all of humanity through musical subjugation.

JayKZ

I'd be happy with an IP update if it also means doing something with the ceiling: fiber optic fireworks like in Gran Fiesta, or the planets of the solar system showing our world is all we have, etc...

And if they did a better job with Africa and other parts of the world where they didn't know how to make puppets for them and instead populated that region with animals... kinda insulting.
How about some black paint and lighting changes so the drop ceiling isn't quite so visible throughout the ride?

ImperfectPixie

Actually it was quite the reverse...the show was used as a way to market the park...
I loved Sunday nights with the Wonderful World of Disney (and its variations). I wish they'd find a way to bring it back and do more "behind the scenes" specials. (Hopefully they'll include the ones they've already done on Disney+. That's the kind of thing I don't just watch over and over, but also use as background noise when I'm doing other stuff.)

FigmentJedi

"Oh boy, I can't wait to see my favorite Disney character The African Lion from the documentary The African Lion" is a sentence that no one has ever thought of when going on the Jungle Cruise.

Nature documentary animals don't really count as IP to people and the fact that Disney had to shoehorn animated characters into Rivers of Light is proof of that.

the.dreamfinder

"Oh boy, I can't wait to see my favorite Disney character The African Lion from the documentary The African Lion" is a sentence that no one has ever thought of when going on the Jungle Cruise.

Nature documentary animals don't really count as IP to people and the fact that Disney had to shoehorn animated characters into Rivers of Light is proof of that.
You forgot to add the ™s and ®s because when I visit the Walt Disney World Resort™ in Florida I love to ride Dinosaur® at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park ™, based on the Disney animated classic “Dinosaur®”!

rowrbazzle

I loved Sunday nights with the Wonderful World of Disney (and its variations). I wish they'd find a way to bring it back and do more "behind the scenes" specials. (Hopefully they'll include the ones they've already done on Disney+. That's the kind of thing I don't just watch over and over, but also use as background noise when I'm doing other stuff.)

Some of those will show up on TCM from time to time. I really enjoy watching them, along with other old Disney programs that they air. It'd be great if they are on Disney+.

tirian

Main Street Cinema did not show Mickey Cartoons when it opened. It showed short films of cultural importance to the time period in which Main Street is set.

On opening day, Main Street Cinema showed:
"A Dash Through the Clouds," a 1912 drama about biplanes
"Dealing for Daisy," a 1915 western
"Fatima's Dance," a short film depicting a belly dancer
"Gertie the Dinosaur"
"The Noise of Bombs," a Keystone Kops Comedy
"Shifting Sands," a 1918 Gloria Swanson melodrama

Jungle River Cruise was very very loosely inspired by their work on True Life Adventures, but it was not an attraction about the documentaries, nor was it meant to promote them. There's a significant difference. Aside from that, True Life Adventures are nature documentaries. Unless you believe that Disney owns the rights to lions and nature, I'd hardly call it IP in the traditional sense.
You beat me to it.

Also, Walt described the Jungle Cruise as being loosely based on Paramount’s Humphrey Bogart movie “The African Queen,” not because it was literally about helping a missionary, but because it was about traveling into the jungle. It was as basic as you could get (even the jokes were added during a later refurb).

Bottom line: the parks have always been about overall experiences, not about plugging IP. Sometimes those experiences include characters, and we love them for that (e.g. Peter Pan’s Flight); other times, they don’t (e.g. Pirates). The argument isn’t whether IP should be included: of course it should! The question is whether every single thing needs to be tied to cartoons. Up until now, that answer has always been no. Walt himself planned for the Florida Project to have a single theme park; it’s not always about characters, even though we do love them.

aladdin2007

How about some black paint and lighting changes so the drop ceiling isn't quite so visible throughout the ride?

if you mean in GranFiesta specifically couldn't agree more, and or add the fog effect back in at least, how it was meant to be? Everything the original Imagineers made amazing they have found ways to either cut all together, change too much, and or not finish it thinking no one will care or notice, so sad.

tirian

if you mean in GranFiesta specifically couldn't agree more, and or add the fog effect back in at least, how it was meant to be? Everything the original Imagineers made amazing they have found ways to either cut all together, change too much, and or not finish it thinking no one will care or notice, so sad.

It’s like how fan forums are gushing over the updated entrance to Epcot, which is actually just a return to the way the park’s original designers planned it to be.

The original Imagineers didn’t have today’s tech, but they created incredible experiences that were more than the sum of their parts. Peter Pan is a great example: it’s a simple dark ride that captures the idea of a magical flight and commands long queue waits for some black light paint and almost static figures.

KikoKea

I'm not crazy about the idea, but the IP characters at TDL and DL are not terribly out of place, IMHO, and will be fun for little ones. I'm more concerned about the shabby look of IASW and its desperate need for an new carpet, ceiling, lighting, and so on. It's one of my favorites and we ride it multiple times every trip, but it needs quite a bit of love. If they simply stick a few IP characters in there and that's all, it will be a disappointment and a shame. I expect better out of Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom