Disney Character Training Videos Narrated by Jack Wagner

brb1006

After watching the Training Video for Mickey Mouse, which uses a modified version of "Mickey Mouse Birthday Parade" at the end. It made me think for a moment about the parks then and now. There's something about old school parade music for Disneyland and WDW between the 1970s and early to mid 80's that had a certain charm that's difficult to describe. Parade music from that era was more laid back, relaxing, inviting, and a bit energetic (not to the level of bombastic as modern music for the parade).

The best example is the soundtrack for Mickey's 50th Birthday Parade from 1978, most of DL and WDW parades from the 80s, and Mickey's 60th Birthday Parade.

Mickey Our Hero Parade 1984

Mickey's 60th Birthday Parade 1988

That's the best I can describe Disneyland and WDW parade music from then and now. Feel free for anybody who grew up in that era to chime in for a more detailed explanation for what I'm thinking. @TP2000 might find this interesting.

DisneyChris.com which has been active since 2013, deserves more credit on this site. His website contains so much archive audio from Disney's past attractions, shows, and parades. It's the only website where you get to hear actual soundtracks for Disneyland's older parades and tries to find audio with the best audio quality. This page is dedicated entirely for DL's parades. DisneyChris is also a co-host on the podcast "Jiminy Crickets! Podcast".

Last edited:

brb1006

Back when characters would not only wander around the park, but they had a lot more freedom. Especially for WDW, as seen in this home video recording from the 1970s.

This video from 1972 shows Mickey strolling by himself on Main Street with an Umbrella (since it rained that day according to the RetroWDW podcast) seen at the 05:01 mark

At least wandering characters are still alive at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Notice how the characters are not mobbed by people. Kids could just interact and play with the characters. It wasn't a formal line and take picture thing like it is now.
Because:

A) Kids were better behaved and disciplined back then
B) The concept of the social contract was alive and well
C) The character interactions were mainly for children not "adults" looking for a selfie for the 1,567th time

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
DisneyChris.com which has been active since 2013, deserves more credit on this site. His website contains so much archive audio from Disney's past attractions, shows, and parades. It's the only website where you get to hear actual soundtracks for Disneyland's older parades and tries to find audio with the best audio quality. This page is dedicated entirely for DL's parades. DisneyChris is also a co-host on the podcast "Jiminy Crickets! Podcast".

I absolutely love DisneyChris and his contributions to the online community. His podcasts are incredibly well researched and so thorough. They're long but well worth it especially if the topic is interesting.

My favorite was his two part on the Tiki Room- covered everything from development to creative influences as well as the original sources for each song. Then the changes made to the attraction and how it was adapted to different Disney parks. I plan on listening to his Pinocchio episode soon...

brb1006

I absolutely love DisneyChris and his contributions to the online community. His podcasts are incredibly well researched and so thorough. They're long but well worth it especially if the topic is interesting.

My favorite was his two part on the Tiki Room- covered everything from development to creative influences as well as the original sources for each song. Then the changes made to the attraction and how it was adapted to different Disney parks. I plan on listening to his Pinocchio episode soon...
I always love the "Jiminy Crickets! Podcast" it doesn't upload new episodes that often (not for a long period) but it's the perfect podcasts to relax and lesson alongside Jim Hill's Podcast (I don't care if he's liked or not, I love hearing some obscure Disney facts and stories instead of just Disney facts that every Disney Youtuber/Vlogger would know.)

TP2000

Someone uploaded a bunch of old school Disneyland character training videos narrated by Jack Wagner, complete with lots of old school Disneyland footage. Really enjoyable to watch-

Mickey Mouse
Mickey and Friends
Pinocchio and Friends
Peter Pan
Brer Fox and Brer Bear

These videos are hysterical! Thank you for sharing them with us, and how have they been sitting there on YouTube for three years without us knowing about them?

I can only imagine how crazy these videos must make the uptight types in TDA.

That is, if TDA was still in business. 🤣

Phroobar

Because:

A) Kids were better behaved and disciplined back then
B) The concept of the social contract was alive and well
C) The character interactions were mainly for children not "adults" looking for a selfie for the 1,567th time
Man-children ruin everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom