News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

Vegas Disney Fan

My guess is that for evey one Disney super fan that follows their history closely and studies the smallest details of every attraction?.....there are nine other guests that have no clue of what they are walking past and seeing.

Id say that 95% of the park guests never bothered to read the names in the main street windows and dont know why they are there. 95% just walk right buy oblivious to it all.

On last years trip we got stuck in traffic and our bus driver started trivia, I think I answered every question (after patiently waiting to give the kids a chance 😉), I was shocked that no one else knew when MK opened, when Epcot opened, the city Main Street is modeled after , etc. It’s easy to forget we’re the exception rather than the norm.

Well, that's why the Triskellion was built in the Potomac...
View attachment 661104

Speaking of sitelines… how much better would this (tower part) fit into Epcot than a big blue box?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only reason to raise prices is high guest demand. That's how the market works. If people are willing to pay more for your product, you raise the price. If people aren't willing to pay more, you keep the price flat. If demand is weakening, you lower prices. How is running a business disturbing?
Did you take a 300 level Econ class? Or did the test on the Micro curve fry the grey matter? 🤯
Yes, It's a flawed graph, but I thought it was a fun and relevant graph.. YMMV, obviously.

I just find it interesting to reflect on the consumer's decision making process.
Higher thought is always beneficial.

eliza61nyc

Probably a similar story for all theme parks. And yet we all still go. Us sillies.
It's very much the story for a lot of " non essential " items.
People just romanticize Disney. Lol there was an article in my neck of the woods about the Jersey shore. Prices for 1 week rentals are up almost 80% since covid. One explanation is that the beach was one of the first places to open and they are trying to recouped lost revenue.
I know the place I booked in 2018 went for 1700 for the week, this year I paid 3850.00.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People just romanticize Disney. Lol there was an article in my neck of the woods about the Jersey shore. Prices for 1 week rentals are up almost 80% since covid. One explanation is that the beach was one of the first places to open and they are trying to recouped lost revenue.
I know the place I booked in 2018 went for 1700 for the week, this year I paid 3850.00.
Make sure you put a lot of bandaids on that…you’ll lose too much blood 😱

GimpYancIent

I'm inbetween those :) The types that beat Disney are the types that still fight to keep towns like Middleburg the one-stop light village it is. The population growth and wealth growth has just been too big for the 'no development' advocates to hold off. What used to a remote old railroad stop in Manasses now has 800k tract homes on .15 acre lots. The residential boom can not be contained.

Obviously arlington/alexandria are fed and contractor hotbeds.. I mean it's the immediate boroughs directly outside the nation's capital :) I mean.. its like complaining brooklyn or Jersey City is too urban... they were the sisters to NYC. The area is quite diverse with tech+defense+federals+contractors both fed and civvie. It's one of the homes of the internet. Loudoun County is the biggest Data Center market in the country.. bigger than #2-5 COMBINED and still growing like mad. AWS, Google, Microsoft, etc continue to expand here.

Other major companies like Audi/VW have also made the area their new HQ as Virginia tries to pitch itself as biz friendly and the population base being a good worker pool. Obviously going deep in the Amazon HQ2 circus was a reflection of that too.. even with the reduced plans they are continuing with in Arlington.

Crystal City pivoted hard when the DoD contracted and relocated commands during BRAC and other changes. Amazon is probably the first big win for them in a long time after so much fleeing of major office space.
All true. Disney had an opportunity that I wish had happened, but it was not meant to be.

Disstevefan1

So, $3850 for 6 nights = $641 a night
I just checked the Grand Flo for Next week. Only outer buildings available, $681 a night (before tax)

zombiebbq

As we talk about staffing issues, I wonder what kind of response the College Program is getting these days.
Purely ancedotal, but I have a coworker who's daughter just started last week (two weeks ago?). She's thrilled to be there. They have her at Disney Springs, for now.

DisneyDebRob

So, $3850 for 6 nights = $641 a night
I just checked the Grand Flo for Next week. Only outer buildings available, $681 a night (before tax)
Then you need airline tickets…then park tickets…then tons of money for food. I can guarantee you can’t get a 15 dollar pizza in Disney to feed a family of 4 like you can in jersey. With all that said, both prices are crazy.

eliza61nyc

Then you need airline tickets…then park tickets…then tons of money for food. I can guarantee you can’t get a 15 dollar pizza in Disney to feed a family of 4 like you can in jersey. With all that said, both prices are crazy.
It is insane, the problem with the shore us if it rains it's dull. Lol
We rent from berger reality in oc. I did tell my realtor that they were fast approaching "Disney " prices.

I wonder if these places will price themselves out to the point people return to simpler vacations. I'm only 70 minutes from the shore and next year I've already said I'm only doing day trips

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Someone should keep Bob at arm's length at all times, if this is remotely close to reality:

Subscriptions (D+) and traveling/vacation are #'s 1 and 4, respectively. And Bob thinks people are willing to pay higher and higher prices. 🤔

Heelz2315

What are they doing at DL with the Magic Key renewals? My word! They opened the window to renew, and it's an hour long que to wait, AND you're not guaranteed a pass once you get in?

WHAT?? Are they limiting the #'s of basically AP's for DL? I pray that's not a sign of things to come for WDW

flynnibus

Premium Member
Someone should keep Bob at arm's length at all times, if this is remotely close to reality:

Subscriptions (D+) and traveling/vacation are #'s 1 and 4, respectively. And Bob thinks people are willing to pay higher and higher prices. 🤔

And now you know why companies love annual subscriptions :) Avoid spontaneous decisions :)

Disstevefan1

What are they doing at DL with the Magic Key renewals? My word! They opened the window to renew, and it's an hour long que to wait, AND you're not guaranteed a pass once you get in?

WHAT?? Are they limiting the #'s of basically AP's for DL? I pray that's not a sign of things to come for WDW
I am guessing that kind of messaging is just to cover themselves against lawsuits when the system crashes.

EPCOT-O.G.

In addition to adding the class action waiver, I hope they institute a rule that these passholders won't live stream, do SuperChats, or advertise their Disney branded items via social media while in the parks. Add an Influence Key starting at $25,000/year.

Disstevefan1

For folks with disposable income there is no such thing as inflation. These folks are happily paying and showing up. Bobby knows this and really only wants these people at the parks anyway.

EPCOT-O.G.

For folks with disposable income there is no such thing as inflation. These folks are happily paying and showing up. Bobby knows this and really only wants these people at the parks anyway.
Yes. And, sadly, as I've observed in a few Disney FB groups and the like, it's not just those with disposable income. There are lots of people already overextended (during "good" economic times) that have really gone all in on Disney despite what appear to be very precarious financial situations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom