News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

Vegas Disney Fan

Don’t bother with “early entry” for slinky, mine train, flight of passage, or rat…is my advice. The line starts at 75 minutes…it’s like the 4th dimension or something?

I second this, everyone ran towards Seven Dwarves and we walked right on Peter Pan and then got on IASW during MK early entry, we got a later return time for Seven Dwarves.

Did similar at AK, everyone ran to FOP and we walked on Navi River and then got in line for the Safari, we got a return time for FOP later.

We did Midway Mania and then got lucky and managed to get Slinky right as it opened in HS and did Soarin and Living in the Land in Epcot.

Going to a ride that will have a long line later in the day but isn’t the #1 choice of everyone at rope drop seems to be a better option during Early entry. This works well for us because we have DAS but should work equally well with Genie+/ILL.

EPCOT-O.G.

That said, I just wouldn't do it and if I missed a major attraction for that reason so be it. I'd rather sleep in and enjoy my life before going back to work. Ah, I miss those E-Ride nights!
Given how they’ve monetized those rides, and after hours parties, I don’t think those are ever coming back, sadly

Dan Marino

I do see it more as Bob Chapek having a tin ear when talking.

To be fair, reading the actual comment, Chapek says prices will go up if demand continues to rise and can be lowered if it softens. So, that does suggest that if the travel surge wears off they can also adjust in the other direction. It's not pleasant to hear and there are a whole range of other issues involved (e.g. lack of investment in capacity, maintenance, other cutbacks, etc), but the comment is not that insane or out of line with how Disney has been operating for a long time.
When have you EVER seen them lower a price? Adjusting in the other direction only means fewer multiple price increases in a year.

Walt and his family are long gone from the management and operation of the Disney Company. It's not just Disneyland in California, or Disney World in Florida, it's also Disney Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. All of the parks were lumped together in the same ecosystem, so even if one or a few were doing fine, they had to cover any budgetary shortfalls of the other. DL in 🇫🇷 had too much differed maintenance from the previous partnership that ran it so when Disney bought out the remainder, it inherited that to fix. Even with the partnership with Communist China being a minority participant (can't say owner as only the state can own land, everyone rents it), it still took 5.5 Billion dollars out of the collective budget for 5 years to build Shanghai and they are expanding Hong Kong.

So in a nutshell, Disney is spending the majority of its capital on other parks. How they believe they will recoup the investment in Communist China under Xi Jinping (Aka Winnie the Pooh) is beyond me.
First all, Hong Kong is not communist and his government is like Macau. That is, it is independent and doesn't work like mainland China. I had the opportunity to live in Hong Kong because worked for the University. Moreover, we were annual pass and I can say that Hong Kong is more capitalist than we thought. As a matter of fact, the have a Disney Dining Plan and many facilities that Disney World has left behind.

On the other hand, there have been several refurbishment in the park recently. As a matter of fact, they decided to change the castle because the first one was so small. Moreover, they have built a roll and costed dedicated to Ironman as well as a Marvel Zone.

In contrast, Disney has always been updated and the prices have been more or less. However, now Bob Chapek speaks about Tron and many people think it is a big investment and it is necessary multiply prices. Personally, I don't understand, Walt Disney World has been changed a lot since the first time I went in 2004 and I have never experienced this form of increasing prices.

I know Walt will not be anymore. Nevertheless, if Walt had never existed, we wouldn't enjoy the parks. In my view,the parks should maintain alive the philosophy of Walt.

Lilofan

Technically about 5 miles away from a historic battlefield, and now the land they were going to build on is golf courses, subdivisions, and condos as far as the eye can see… not sure that’s any better.
Who knows if Eisner's #2 , Frank Wells didn't die in the helicopter crash in 94' if Disney America in VA would have happened. Wells was a key project guy for TWDC. I can see the logic , many millions visit the DC area, and America theme park would have been a good fit.

Smiley/OCD

Eisner planned to have Disney America built in Northern VA but the locals fought back and won. Disney backed down and the park was never built.
Now, in 2022, with the political climate that we have now, not building a park/resort that “celebrates” the country was probably a blessing in disguise…somehow I think many aspects would have been found to be “problematic” and Disney would be spending more cash to change it then it cost to build it….and that whole idea just makes me ill thinking about it.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
First all, Hong Kong is not communist and his government is like Macau. That is, it is independent and doesn't work like mainland China. I had the opportunity to live in Hong Kong because worked for the University. Moreover, we were annual pass and I can say that Hong Kong is more capitalist than we thought. As a matter of fact, the have a Disney Dining Plan and many facilities that Disney World has left behind.

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to Xi's moves in Hong Kong to consolidate control over the region. The local governing council is composed of candidates approved by the Central Party (No one else was allowed to run). What democratic processes once existed have been systematically dismantled since 29.12.2021 including the press. Its not what it once was. Those able to leave are.

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to Xi's moves in Hong Kong to consolidate control over the region. The local governing council is composed of candidates approved by the Central Party (No one else was allowed to run). What democratic processes once existed have been systematically dismantled since 29.12.2021 including the press. Its not what it once was. Those able to leave are.
By the way, I was living that moment. You are speaking about democracy but I am speaking about Disney. I can say Hong Kong Disneyland is not communist.

Anyway, I remember you that this forum is to speak about Disney and not about politics.

MagicHappens1971

Do you think Abigail Disney could be the new CEO and all this stuff cool off? I see a petition in change https://www.change.org/p/replace-bo...ed_by_id=b416a730-2202-0130-7528-00221964dac8

Maybe it is a good idea that a Disney personality runs the enterprise.

While it sounds nice, she doesn’t have the business expertise to run a multi-national entertainment company, I also think the Disney family lost the right to criticize the “money-hungry” ways of the new order. They sold any remaining holds to the company years and years ago.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
By the way, I was living that moment. You are speaking about democracy but I am speaking about Disney. I can say Hong Kong Disneyland is not communist.

Anyway, I remember you that this forum is to speak about Disney and not about politics.

And I was referring to the heavy investment of Disney into the Hong Kong and Shanghai parks at the expense of the other parks. There won't be a return on investment and subsequently the domestic parks and French parks won't see any budgetary relief.

While it sounds nice, she doesn’t have the business expertise to run a multi-national entertainment company, I also think the Disney family lost the right to criticize the “money-hungry” ways of the new order. They sold any remaining holds to the company years and years ago.
I take your point, but maybe she is different. Why not woman running a company like this? It is generally accepted that women control the economy in houses and they do it well.

Anyway, I would like to read the whole proposal of her. I am a little bit reluctant but who knows.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

All the Disney heirs combined only own less than 3% of Disney and are not business people, just recipients of trust funds. Walt actively steered his children and grandchildren away from the Disney business.

MagicHappens1971

I take your point, but maybe she is different. Why not woman running a company like this? It is generally accepted that women control the economy in houses and they do it well.

Anyway, I would like to read the whole proposal of her. I am a little bit reluctant but who knows.
I didn’t say anything about her being a woman? She’s a philanthropist, and has been apart of creating some smaller films. She has never had a part in a company that is equally as big as TWDC. She’s not qualified, if she was a man, a woman, a horse, a queen, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom