News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

5thGenTexan

Is not just a Disney thing this week. Selim Bassou, the new head honcho at Six Flags.

1660262670295.png

Vegas Disney Fan

That is definitely going to hurt their stocks and reputation.
Their reputation was already the Walmart of amusement parks, I’m not sure it can get worse.

Six Flags has been bottom tier for at least a decade, which is too bad given their impressive ride lineups, they are known for being a teenagers park though and unfortunately for them that’s an age group without much money and with a lot of problems associated with it.

I hope they do change to a better clientele, I’d love to spend more time at Magic Mountain but a park comprised largely of teenagers is not a place I like spending a lot of time.

Vegas Disney Fan

The instant people heard that the parks were empty, they would start planning another trip.

Most of the guest experience issues can be attributed to bursting attendance.

If they offered a day with attendance capped at 50% we’d happily pay double for it. Many of us have already done just that by paying a premium price for Christmas and Halloween parties just to be in the parks with lower crowds.

Jrb1979

Is not just a Disney thing this week. Selim Bassou, the new head honcho at Six Flags.

View attachment 659660
I don't agree with how he said it but he's not wrong. They don't call them the discount chain for nothing. I know regional parks rely on pass holders but I would love to see Six Flags follow Cedar Fair and Herschend's path and price passes high enough to price out the teens. Six Flags cheapest pass is $8 a month.

5thGenTexan

Their reputation was already the Walmart of amusement parks, I’m not sure it can get worse.

Six Flags has been bottom tier for at least a decade, which is too bad given their impressive ride lineups, they are known for being a teenagers park though and unfortunately for them that’s an age group without much money and with a lot of problems associated with it.

I hope they do change to a better clientele, I’d love to spend more time at Magic Mountain but a park comprised largely of teenagers is not a place I like spending a lot of time.
Growing up Six Flags Over Texas was my park. It was a real theme park, not amusement park. Each area was themed with rides, shops, uniforms, background music reflective of each of the six flags that once flew over Texas. So, a Texas area, Mexico area, Spain area, etc. All that is gone now. All merchandise is the same, all music is the same, no special uniforms. Just puke your guts coasters and bad food.

matt9112

Chapek isn't all that great at communicating, but these calls are meant for investors and not consumers. Disney has to show the people that actually own the company, that they are capable of making money, and to some degree, make it better than the next guy. Capitalism isn't great, but it's the system we've got.

New attractions don't lower demand... it raises it. And I'm coming off another thread where I was assured that Disney has to appeal to the middle class (and keep prices low) because they fundamentally can't attract higher spenders.

So you've painted them into a corner where they need to
-Radically increase spending on multiple new attractions and increase capacity
-Reduce revenue to keep prices low so more and more people can come into the park.

So a perfectly built out MK under this scenario would be free to enter and have 300+ E tickets over 20 square miles?
Demand is not Linear like that. If you built 50 rides tomorrow attendance wouldn’t double or quadruple etc….there’s only so many people who wish to go on a disney vacation…a base line of sorts. There’s clearly room to go but there is a saturation point like any good or service.

Ps they could stop treating every new ride like it’s gods gift with marketing to tamp down your fears of induced demand….

wdwfan4ver

I do see it more as Bob Chapek having a tin ear when talking.

To be fair, reading the actual comment, Chapek says prices will go up if demand continues to rise and can be lowered if it softens. So, that does suggest that if the travel surge wears off they can also adjust in the other direction. It's not pleasant to hear and there are a whole range of other issues involved (e.g. lack of investment in capacity, maintenance, other cutbacks, etc), but the comment is not that insane or out of line with how Disney has been operating for a long time.
It depends on Chapeks meaning of prices lower. What I mean by that is Disney doing deals to draw guests into the parks or add perks. I don't see Chapek as that type of a CEO though.
I wish I was more interested in Nintendo. I'm just not.
My dad made us get Intellivision - The Intelligent Television. 😄

I do love Universal Monsters though.
My past doesn't stop me from wanting to see Super Nintendo Land for Epic Universe. Intellivision and Atari was where I first played Nintendo games.

The intellivision did have Nintendo games on it although one or 2 of the Intellivision games can't be be played on Intellivision II;). Coleco gave released The 2 Donkey Kong games on it and Parker Bros. released the Nintendo Arcade game Popeye on it.

Intellivision II was my first system, but I have a system charger for it that allows me to play 2600 games including Popeye, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr. on it.

Atari 7800 was one of my video game systems growing up. I played Nintendo and Sega games on it too including Mario Bros. The 7800 plays 2600 games besides 7800 games.

dreday3

It depends on Chapeks meaning of prices lower. What I mean by that is Disney doing deals to draw guests into the parks or add perks. I don't see Chapek as that type of a CEO though.

My past doesn't stop me from wanting to see Super Nintendo Land for Epic Universe. Intellivision and Atari was where I first played Nintendo games.

The intellivision did have Nintendo games on it although one or 2 of the Intellivision games can't be be played on Intellivision II;). Coleco gave released The 2 Donkey Kong games on it and Parker Bros. released the Nintendo Arcade game Popeye on it.

Intellivision II was my first system, but I have a system charger for it that allows me to play 2600 games including Popeye, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr. on it.

Atari 7800 was one of my video game systems growing up. I played Nintendo and Sega games on it too including Mario Bros. The 7800 plays 2600 games besides 7800 games.

Nintendo wasn't really around when I was playing video games. And by 1985/86, I moved on to make-up, clothes and boys. 😀

UNCgolf

Is it possible they are building the best theme park in Orlando? Would Comcast have the stones?

I would guess no, solely because it seems like the whole park will be reliant on a small handful of IPs. Even if the attractions and theming are top-notch, it still affects the overall experience if 50% of the park is themed towards IPs that don't resonate with/interest you. There aren't many IPs that work as a whole themed land.

To be fair, both Nintendo and Monsters aren't exactly a single IP, but it sounds like the Nintendo land is essentially going to be Mario Land. Mario is admittedly one of the IPs that probably does work as a whole themed land, though.

I also think going to HP for a third time is risky, partially due to the supposed location they're using -- especially if it's based on the Fantastic Beasts franchise. People don't really care about those films. If they were building Hogwarts as their new HP land I'd feel differently.

That doesn't mean it won't be a great park, of course.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom