Disney cancelling shows -- a necessary move

Goofyernmost

I almost hope the place goes bankrupt, sits abandoned only for that goldmine to be bought and opened as it was since you would have to be stupid not to. Someone who really lives the Disney parks enough to spend trillions on the land. If only it were that easy. All in all if there’s any tiny chance Disney would get new ownership the opportunity for that could be around the corner. I’d love to see some billionaire Disney guru buy the place out, privately own it and make things right with the place again.
Be careful what you wish for, just because someone buys it doesn't mean that it survives. Most of it's value might be for scrap not necessarily someone that wants the Magic to continue.

Lilofan

I’d love to see Disneyland operated as a non-profit with a focus on preserving the park as Walt envisioned it.

Kinda like Henry Ford’s greenfield village.
That's a cool idea. Henry Ford village accepts donations to help it operate. Also it also offers membership rates with perks at different giving levels. Disney can run with that idea and the membership perks could include meet and greet / wine tastings with Disney Legends, etc .

TrainsOfDisney

That's a cool idea. Henry Ford village accepts donations to help it operate. Also it also offers membership rates with perks at different giving levels. Disney can run with that idea and the membership perks could include meet and greet / wine tastings with Disney Legends, etc .
They have events like that there, a poetry night at Robert Frosts home for example.

The ceo there is still grossly over paid but such is America in 2020.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I’d love to see Disneyland operated as a non-profit with a focus on preserving the park as Walt envisioned it.

Kinda like Henry Ford’s greenfield village.

No, they need to keep improving Disneyland so that it becomes "more timeless, more relevant [and] more Disney" because Walt Disney wasn't "Disney" enough.

Chef Mickey

Disney is financially fine, but they aren't a charity. You either work or eventually get laid off, regardless of circumstances.

Dagmar

Disney made a choice in it’s marketing department to cater towards a specific king of guest, once-in-a-lifetimers and the super-elite. Once-in-a-lifetime guests don’t know the difference between what was there and what was not. Those people are currently (mostly) unable to enter the country. Elites are mostly doing safer outdoor activities now, especially because most upcharge events, D23 experiences, etc. are unavailable. They have purposefully let the middle, presumably those who love the parks going once yearly or every other year, or those that have some sort of annual pass, those that return regardless of up-charge events and that first-timer magic, drop out.
Spot on! I've been wondering often who their target audience has been lately? Dubai?

MickeyLuv'r

Afraid of a 4" by 8" square of fabric? I feel for you. I do wonder though, how many of us would have coped with life in any prior era, if we struggle so much with such a minor inconvenience.

Just 175 years ago, life was very different....people lived without AC, toilet paper, dishwashers, hearing aids, department stores, electric appliances, automobiles, recorded music, most modern vaccines...

Air conditioning - 1902
White House added indoor running water -1833
First commercial toilet paper in USA - 1857!
Dishwasher - 1889
Hearing aid - 1898, First commercial hearing aid - 1913
Measles vaccine - 1963 (MMR vaccine - 1971)
First American department store - 1875
First commercially available record player, the Victrola - 1896

In 1900, approximately half of all children died before reaching adulthood, about 25% in their first year. I'm not sure most of us can wrap our head around how much harder life was for our ancestors.

What would they, with all the hardships they endured, think of us?

JIMINYCR

Be careful what you wish for, just because someone buys it doesn't mean that it survives. Most of it's value might be for scrap not necessarily someone that wants the Magic to continue.
Exactly. Most of the billionaires or investment groups that are looking to buy out struggling companies, as they have in the past, are looking to get a fast return by buying up then cashing out, selling off whats there for a quick return. They wouldnt be buying because they are interested in the day to day grind of running an amusement park and turning it around.

celluloid

[QUOTE="MickeyLuv'r, post: 9515370, member: 14940"] Afraid of a 4" by 8" square of fabric? I feel for you. I do wonder though, how many of us would have coped with life in any prior era, if we struggle so much with such a minor inconvenience. Just 175 years ago, life was very different....people lived without AC, toilet paper, dishwashers, hearing aids, department stores, electric appliances, automobiles, recorded music, most modern vaccines... Air conditioning - 1902 White House added indoor running water -1833 First commercial toilet paper in USA - 1857! Dishwasher - 1889 Hearing aid - 1898, First commercial hearing aid - 1913 Measles vaccine - 1963 (MMR vaccine - 1971) First American department store - 1875 First commercially available record player, the Victrola - 1896 In 1900, approximately half of all children died before reaching adulthood, about 25% in their first year. I'm not sure most of us can wrap our head around how much harder life was for our ancestors. What would they, with all the hardships they endured, think of us? [/QUOTE]
Well said. I often think of how easy we have had it. Plenty of tragedies but it has been generations since something this long term and global that directly effect homeland.

TrainsOfDisney

Walt wanted to continually change and upgrade the park. To Walt, Disneyland would never be completed.
Greenfield Village continues to change and be upgraded.

For the most part, I don’t think Walt would disapprove of the majority of changes so far to Disneyland Park. Star Wars is a miss imho, but it doesn’t destroy the park and actually enhanced the railroad and riverboat imho.

It’s the next possible phase that could sadly undo so much of the core fabric of Disneyland.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I mean, it's not long before they bring the entertainment back. Some "anonymous" source already dropped the concept art for the new "Hoop De 2" into my inbox. It looks awesome! I can't wait.

k-OneManBand.jpg

StarshipDisney

I do not enjoy saying this, but there is absolutely no way that I am paying premium price for what right now amounts to a 2nd rate Disney vacation; now perhaps even 3rd rate. I am not going just to support Disney. That is not how the market works.

Until things get significantly better at Disney and at a minimum they have the fireworks, fastpass, and some shows back; then I cannot justify the premium cost of staying at my beloved Contemporary Resort. That is not to say that I absolutely won't go back during that time; but certainly a much cheaper vacation is in order to align with the great reduction in "Magic". I will probably just get a nice hotel on International Drive and go cheap...well...compared to staying at Disney anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom