Disney cancelling shows -- a necessary move

KBLovedDisney

Many people on the internet sound upset that Disney is cancelling many shows such as Festival of the Lion King, but I believe we as fans of WDW need to support this and other layoffs, as well as any price increases, to help Disney survive. Disney is in quite a financial bind right now. They've been strapped of cash even before 2020 thanks to the purchase of Fox, the building of the two Galaxy's Edge, Shanghai Disneyland, (which costs 5 billion and earns 50 million per year, so it will be 100 years before Disney can get their investment back!). The losses in Onward, Mulan and other failed movies didn't help. And now, the limited opening of Disney World and Disneyland is disastrous, they are losing millions on a daily basis.

While none of this is us the fan's fault, we will eventually be the ones paying for it all to help Disney World survive. In the coming years, we must expect to pay more for less and hope that it is good enough. In time, Disney World should completely recover and we will get everything back: shows, fireworks, parades, and freedom from health measures. But it might take 3 years or more

Personally, I can deal with all of it except one thing: masks. I'll go back to Disney World when masks are no longer required, even if Disney cuts all the shows, the rides, everything. If they just open up all the hotels and restaurants and use the parks as shopping malls, like they are doing with Disneyland, I'll take it. But I can't do masks. I mean, if you were to give me a free WDW vacation if I would just wear a mask, I wouldn't do it. Because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.
Wait....
looking up weird al yankovic GIF

think minnie mouse GIF

asks russian GIF

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Wait, y'all ain't knockin' my beloved Six Flags are ye? :p

Seriously, my local Six Flags seems to be ok atm. Of course in Texas many people deny the Covid monster.
I’m slightly bitter with Six flags for when they purchased Geauga Lake in Ohio then sold it to Cedar Fair only for them to close it down :(

in Ohio, Cedar Point and Kings Island seem to be functioning decent here as well. Lots of deniers here as well.

The Empress Lilly

Many people on the internet sound upset that Disney is cancelling many shows such as Festival of the Lion King, but I believe we as fans of WDW need to support this and other layoffs, as well as any price increases, to help Disney survive. Disney is in quite a financial bind right now. They've been strapped of cash even before 2020 thanks to the purchase of Fox, the building of the two Galaxy's Edge, Shanghai Disneyland, (which costs 5 billion and earns 50 million per year, so it will be 100 years before Disney can get their investment back!). The losses in Onward, Mulan and other failed movies didn't help. And now, the limited opening of Disney World and Disneyland is disastrous, they are losing millions on a daily basis.

While none of this is us the fan's fault, we will eventually be the ones paying for it all to help Disney World survive. In the coming years, we must expect to pay more for less and hope that it is good enough. In time, Disney World should completely recover and we will get everything back: shows, fireworks, parades, and freedom from health measures. But it might take 3 years or more

Personally, I can deal with all of it except one thing: masks. I'll go back to Disney World when masks are no longer required, even if Disney cuts all the shows, the rides, everything. If they just open up all the hotels and restaurants and use the parks as shopping malls, like they are doing with Disneyland, I'll take it. But I can't do masks. I mean, if you were to give me a free WDW vacation if I would just wear a mask, I wouldn't do it. Because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.
I've been here fifteen years and this is it, the 🙂 post I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.

Maybe you can help Iger through these troubled times by transferring a tenner. He needs it, only made a billion dollars in bonuses from milking us for all we're worth. Remember how you got shoved out of the MK by security at 5pm for a private party, even though they took your full day payment? I do!

As for his movies crashing, maybe send him a note not to film next to concentration camps while removing family favourites at home to show how politically woke he is.

ppete1975

I've been here fifteen years and this is it, the 🙂 post I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.

Maybe you can help Iger through these troubled times by transferring a tenner. He needs it, only made a billion dollars in bonuses from milking us for all we're worth. Remember how you got shoved out of the MK by security at 5pm for a private party, even though they took your full day payment? I do!

As for his movies crashing, maybe send him a note not to film next to concentration camps while removing family favourites at home to show how politically woke he is.
should we start him a gofundme?

J4546

28000 people, assuming they are making around 30-35k a year is roughly 1 billion dollars a year. Thats a lot of money

Pirate Magic

Disney made a choice in it’s marketing department to cater towards a specific king of guest, once-in-a-lifetimers and the super-elite. Once-in-a-lifetime guests don’t know the difference between what was there and what was not. Those people are currently (mostly) unable to enter the country. Elites are mostly doing safer outdoor activities now, especially because most upcharge events, D23 experiences, etc. are unavailable. They have purposefully let the middle, presumably those who love the parks going once yearly or every other year, or those that have some sort of annual pass, those that return regardless of up-charge events and that first-timer magic, drop out.

This is a conscious decision that Disney made, in hopes that by reducing overall experience options for the “middle” and adding more and more upcharge events (see the multiple Club 33 buildings, the Festival model’s many upcharge experiences, the way that queues were artificially inflated with Fastpass in order to increase the value of EMH and hotel accommodations that don’t their price, etc.). Now the parks are relying on the middle. This is not Disney’s choice, but it is what happened.

Yes I do agree with you about the above quote, but and this is only my opinion since the pandemic and with the Disney parks being closed for quite some time (plus Disneyland still being closed). I do believe that Disney is going to see more and more that they are going to need those “middle guest” to survive. Whether Disney wants to admit it there are more of the “middle guest” than the Elites and the once-in-a-lifetimes. The “middle guest” are the ones that are spending the money when they visit.

Pirate Magic

Also with the massive layoffs, they are getting more bad PR right now. And the Executives/Shareholders are cleaning up on the backs of all those CMs who are the backbone of their parks. Not some Executive sitting in a office. They need to get their “heart back” for their CMs, guests and themselves. Just my opinion.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Like hell they’re in a “financial bind.”

Don’t like masks? Don’t go. Your choice.

Unless you want to go to show your support of course.
I almost hope the place goes bankrupt, sits abandoned only for that goldmine to be bought and opened as it was since you would have to be stupid not to. Someone who really lives the Disney parks enough to spend trillions on the land. If only it were that easy. All in all if there’s any tiny chance Disney would get new ownership the opportunity for that could be around the corner. I’d love to see some billionaire Disney guru buy the place out, privately own it and make things right with the place again.

Last edited:

DisAl

The entertainment is a key part of a WDW trip for us. Doing away with the entertainment is like going to a 5 star restaurant and finding out when you get there that they are only serving ice water and crackers that day, but you will still be paying for a full meal. We currently have a family trip scheduled for late May 2021 but will continue to evaluate whether or not the cost vs. value is there for us
I do fully understand that if you don't have revenue coming in you can't continue spending but I question some of the decisions they have made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom