Disney California Adventure to launch food experience in March

TP2000

To be 100% honest Disney has dropped the ball on this.

I do think they get screwed by the shutdowns in Nov though. The current DCA food festival is going by "Project [NAME] 2.0" moniker internally. So I'm assuming (as an outsider) that they had plans previously for the park(s) to host a food festival.

(BTW: there's a hint in my previous posts here if anyone wants to know the actual project codename. ;) )

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure they had plenty of plans prior to November, 2020 when Newsom shut down the whole state again.

Plenty of TDA plans. Lots of Zoom meetings. Probably at least two or three really nice PowerPoints. And more Zoom meetings.

But no action. No actual product. No end result. No CM's called back from furlough. Just talk and Zoom meetings and PowerPoints that checked off almost every bureaucratic box that TDA has. But not quite enough boxes checked off to actually become a real thing.

In short, red tape and corporate bureaucracy and executive excuses for why it never actually happened. For an entire year. :rolleyes:

CaptinEO

It doesn't sound right to me either, especially since the parks have been closed for so long. In addition, Disney has proven that they can and will create new food offerings for the parks, specifically special holiday foods. They can and should do the same for this event.

It's been a long time since I've visited Knott's. I do like the park and do enjoy some of their food though. I hope you have a good time!
Thanks so much. I'm not even a fan of the Knotts themepark. Even though I am not scared of Roller Coasters, once I got into my 20s, unthemed roller coasters didnt do anything for me.

Last time I was in the Knotts theme park was 2017 and it was a very poor experience. I don't want to pretend it's some amazing themepark, it certainly was not last time I visited.

However, having been to DTD once and Knotts once since the shutdown, the experience at Knotts was a million times better.

CaptinEO

Eh. I dunno. We re in unprecedented times. I’m pretty sure most people will be ecstatic if they can get some Bengal bbq while walking around Grizzly Peak or eat some Plaza Inn fried chicken overlooking Paradise Bay. At worst even if it is deemed as laziness it doesn’t bother me in this case as the food wouldn’t be great even if they decided to do something special or different. Btw is this even a thing? I haven’t really heard much about what the food will be.
People would be ecstatic, but regardless of what garbage they serve this event will probably sell out. Maybe it's best to keep these experiences for when the park reopens? I think it's good to be patient. Disneyland may be shut down for two years but lets hope its up and running for many more.

Also I know I've said it before, but why do people go crazy over hyping up the Plaza Inn fried chicken? It's the driest caffeteria style chicken I've ever had and its been that way since I started going as a kid in the 90s. I've been back many times but have never been impressed.

PiratesMansion

Also, calling it now, coming this March....

Disneyland's Main Street USA is open for shopping and light dining as an extension of Downtown Disney.

DCA's Buena Vista Street closed off to the general public and used only for those who buy a DCA Food Festival ticket.
Probably not, since they already opened DCA for that brief period of time. And even TDA likely knows that if the choice for people was free-to-access Main Street and pay-to-acess DCA which choice people would make.
However, having been to DTD once and Knotts once since the shutdown, the experience at Knotts was a million times better.
The customer service at Knott's has been significantly better than DLR as of my last several visits.
Also I know I've said it before, but why do people go crazy over hyping up the Plaza Inn fried chicken? It's the driest caffeteria style chicken I've ever had and its been that way since I started going as a kid in the 90s. I've been back many times but have never been impressed.
I'm not going to pretend it's the world's best fried chicken, but it is WAY better than Knott's more famous chicken.

PiratesMansion

This is blasphemy. I'd strongly urge you to give Knotts Chicken another try. Heck, it's the whole reason the themepark exists in the first place.
I've given it several tries. Love the restaurant, love the value, love the park, but I am firmly convinced that the reason it became such a phenonmenon is that no one in Southern California at the time they started making the dinners had any idea what fried chicken was supposed to taste like, and then it became a tradition and people didn't know any better (I have similar suspicions about people who enjoy White Castle).

Plaza Inn chicken, to me, is much better.

More recently I did try their chicken TENDERS, and those are more to my liking vs. the actual fried chicken. They're something I can order in the restaurant, still get all the sides/chicken dinner experience/etc, and then get a nice slice of Boysenberry Pie a la mode for dessert.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

So how much you think a ticket to this thing will cost? more than the latest Knott's festival which is $45 per person? If so we talking $70 or $100 plus or lower?

Last edited:

TP2000

So how much you think a ticket to this thing will cost? more than the latest Knott's festival which is $45 per person? If so we talking 470 or $100 plus or lower?

You have to factor in that they'll reopen Disneyland's Main Street USA for shopping and light dining as an extension of Downtown Disney.

But I think TDA thinks they have a really hot property with their DCA Food Festival brand. I think it's not as hot as they think it is, but that's another topic.

They will price it higher than Knott's Berry Farm's Boysenberry Festival happening this spring. You just know they took that into consideration and think they've got something better. Even though at Knott's you can actually see them make the food you order, instead of just having a Nice CM inside a white plastic box plop a scoop of food product from an industrial tray into a paper cup for you.

Darkbeer1

You have to factor in that they'll reopen Disneyland's Main Street USA for shopping and light dining as an extension of Downtown Disney.

But I think TDA thinks they have a really hot property with their DCA Food Festival brand. I think it's not as hot as they think it is, but that's another topic.

They will price it higher than Knott's Berry Farm's Boysenberry Festival happening this spring. You just know they took that into consideration and think they've got something better. Even though at Knott's you can actually see them make the food you order, instead of just having a Nice CM inside a white plastic box plop a scoop of food product from an industrial tray into a paper cup for you.

Who says Main Street is opening?

Nothing I have seen from the company's actions shows any sort of plans to reopen Main Street in the near future. No CM recalls or anything else. Heck, they are featuring Main Street Food at the DCA thing.

mickEblu

People would be ecstatic, but regardless of what garbage they serve this event will probably sell out. Maybe it's best to keep these experiences for when the park reopens? I think it's good to be patient. Disneyland may be shut down for two years but lets hope its up and running for many more.

I think the Plaza Inn fried chicken is pretty good. I mean yeah it probably gets bonus points for being in a theme park and for its vintage Disneyland ambiance. Eating outside on the patio under those umbrellas feels like one of the most “Disneyland” things you can do. I love it. When I look back at trips in the past with family and friends It’s always the stuff in between the rides that stick out.

Last edited:

TP2000

Who says Main Street is opening?

Nothing I have seen from the company's actions shows any sort of plans to reopen Main Street in the near future. No CM recalls or anything else. Heck, they are featuring Main Street Food at the DCA thing.

Just my hunch. They'll reopen Main Street USA as an extension of Downtown Disney once they turn DCA into a hard ticketed Food Festival venue next month.

Otherwise, Downtown Disney is a pretty dull place to be without a Disney theme park component to help draw shoppers in.

mickEblu

Does anyone know anything I should buy with my sisters 30% off Legacy AP discount? Only have a few more days left to use it. And by 30% off I mean 10% off because they probably raised the prices by 20%

TP2000

Does anyone know anything I should buy with my sisters 30% off Legacy AP discount? Only have a few more days left to use it. And by 30% off I mean 10% off because they probably raised the prices by 20%

Maybe those higher priced and decent quality sweatshirts? Or some of the Disney branded kitchen equipment they sell?

Otherwise, all the stuff in World of Disney just seems like cheap clothing and plastic crap made by slave labor in Communist China that anyone can honestly do without. It's all just waste and decadence, branded with Disneyland on it.

mickEblu

Maybe those higher priced and decent quality sweatshirts? Or some of the Disney branded kitchen equipment they sell?

Otherwise, all the stuff in World of Disney just seems like cheap clothing and plastic crap made by slave labor in Communist China that anyone can honestly do without. It's all just waste and decadence, branded with Disneyland on it.

Yeah good suggestions thanks. Or Maybe Off the Page has something like that huge POTC piece of the Pirate with the Pigs that I have no use for but have had my eye on for a couple years.

TP2000

Yeah good suggestions thanks. Or Maybe Off the Page has something like that huge POTC piece of the Pirate with the Pigs that I have no use for but have had my eye on for a couple years.

There you go! Off The Page has better stuff, more lasting and more impactful, than the tourist junk they sell in World of Disney.

I think they have discount restrictions on "limited edition" artwork, but Off The Page still has plenty of stuff to tempt you. I've purchased a few good books at that store myself.

mickEblu

Yes, that haunted mansion gargoyle. Best thing they've come out with in years.

I think that's its a quality sculpt/piece of Merch but for whatever reason the gargoyle just doesn't appeal me. Neither does that Devil/Ghoul on the Haunted Mansion sign. Id love a talking POTC skull or the bathing elephant from the Jungle Cruise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom