Disney California Adventure: ‘I liked it better as a parking lot’ - OCR/SCNG

Spokker

You know what else is a shame? That all those DCA 1.0 defenders and cheerleaders we interacted with from the early 2000's are no longer around. (For the young'uns, Darkbeer and I and a couple others go way, way back over 20 years online in various forums.
Amazing that almost 20 years later and people are still butthurt about the original Disney's California Adventure. In reality, 2001 DCA was a no-nonsense park for winners, and I'll tell you why.

First, it was for fit and active people. You stayed in shape because there was nowhere to sit and you always had to be on the move. I'd lose a ton of water weight too, since there was no shade and you'd sweat profusely.

Second, the people who go to Disneyland have nothing better to do with their time but wait in line for world-class attraction after world-class attraction. Some of us have places to be, kids to take care of and TV shows to watch. Today, I would really appreciate a park that can be done in 4 hours and I miss DCA for that.

Third, since the park was so empty, you could sit in a nice corner of the park and sell cocaine to passers by.

It's a misunderstood park, and I'm glad to set the record straight.

Ismael Flores

would be nice if they had a second season to this show. There is still so much stuff they can tap into for episodes. Maybe make them focused on how certain projects that have finished evolvedl, kind of like a blue sky cellar that actually evolves thru different episodes.

would be great to be able to see models and ideas of how an idea started and changed and then finalized and reasonings on why some of those changes happened.

Maybe we can learn how they started with a pretty cool idea for Paradise Pier remodel and then was half done and how it all of a sudden shifted to Pixar Pier. stuff like that

truecoat

would be nice if they had a second season to this show. There is still so much stuff they can tap into for episodes. Maybe make them focused on how certain projects that have finished evolvedl, kind of like a blue sky cellar that actually evolves thru different episodes.

would be great to be able to see models and ideas of how an idea started and changed and then finalized and reasonings on why some of those changes happened.

Maybe we can learn how they started with a pretty cool idea for Paradise Pier remodel and then was half done and how it all of a sudden shifted to Pixar Pier. stuff like that

The cliffhanger of every episode would be an exec coming in to tell the Imagineers they need to shave 30-40% off the budget.

DavidDL

Not going to lie, I have a soft spot for DCA 1.0 but it is purely nostalgia based. My nostalgia glasses are heavily tinted.

Obviously Disneyland was the better park and DCA 1.0 wasn't up to that standard when it opened but it opened around the time that I was really starting to get into the Disney Parks fandom because my family became annual passholders through my father's work. At that time, the entire dynamic of the park(s) shifted for me. No longer was this some, mythical, unreachable place that I visited one a year if I was lucky, but instead, it became a weekly visit with my family.

Because DCA didn't offer much for the whole family the way Disneyland did though, my parents didn't spend much time there and as a youngin', I was made to follow. But as I got older and even more interested in the parks (during middle school and high school I really started getting into the history of the parks, Imagineering books, insider articles online, etc), I was granted more freedom. Thus, the elusive and seldom visited DCA became a point of exploration for not just me, but all my friends at the time too.

I know that sounds lame, but it was our experience. We soon discovered that DCA offered us the ability to do some things that Disneyland wouldn't like riding "bigger" more "thrilling" attractions for a fraction of the wait time (due to the park's creative failures). It became a kind of fun, hot-spot for us to spend time hanging out, grabbing a bite to eat, hopping on some pretty fun/thrilling attractions with little to no wait.. in a sense, we became that crowd I think Eisner was trying to appeal to in the first place.

-and while even at that young age we were obviously able to tell that there was a substantial difference in quality between an area like New Orleans Square and the giant burger over in Paradise Pier, it was still a fun experience to be had by us all because it was so.. *ahem*.. "different". I'm not trying to make excuses for the park's past failures or creative choices and I know that the reasons these memories are so special to me are mostly in part to who I was with rather than where I was.. but at the end of the day, I still look back fondly on my time in early DCA. Ironically, the things that made it a failure and drove others out of it were the things that made it so strangely alluring to the friends I still have in my life today. In a sense, the park (for all it's flaws), still brought me together with folks I care about and was a place I could have fun with others.

I was excited with the direction the park was starting to head around that 2008 time frame, though a small part of me did feel a little bit of selfish sadness (which makes little to no sense from a creative standpoint, I admit) because I knew the park was going to get "better" and start bringing in the crowds and that a piece of who I was growing up would be disappearing forever. But as a Cast Member at the time, I knew it was for the best in the long run. I was still looking forward to it. But now, I have to agree with others that the sense of direction which formerly seemed to make a little bit of sense, has been lost.

Last edited:

TROR

I never went to DCA as a kid, but I have fond memories of going to Disneyland and seeing the Mickey loop on California Screamin, Sun Wheel, MaliBOOMer, Grizzly Peak, and Tower of Terror all from beyond the berm. I miss that skyline. It was a prettier park than it is now.

Phroobar

I'm gonna be called CRAZY for this .....but from DCA 1.0 I ***REALLY*** liked the EUREKA parade and a slightly refreshed 20th anniversary version would be welcomed by me.
I wonder if vloggers would crucify Disney for bringing Eureka back. It was a good Epcot-like parade and highly underrated. It's so much better than that stupid Magic Happens parade.

planodisney

AMEN 1000 times to this comment.
Can you imagine if DCA 1.0 had an updated version of The Great Movie Ride where SSL was, a couple aa grizzlies and a few static animal figures on Grizzly River, ToT and a California show on the level of American Adventure instead of the Whoopi movie, 1 dark ride in The Pier and Buena Vista Street entrance how different the park would have been received?

Sharon&Susan

Michael Eisner is the ultimate 1930's hipster: half of the first park built under him was dedicated to an idealized version of the Golden Age of Hollywood, he proposed 30's Hollywoods for most of the Disney parks or a park dedicated to Hollywood's Golden Age, multiple movies made under him set in Hollywood of the 1930's, and a hotel in Hong Kong.

All while distancing those projects from "modern Hollywood". I imagine he must be a legend in the very common "Gatsby Gang" of hipsters.

Phroobar

Buena Vista Street is boring. It's what a hipster thinks hollywood looked like in the 30s, when truthfully it was rundown and trashy.

California Adventure Mural and Golden Gate Bridge were great. Why anyone would prefer the Hollywood Studios entrance is beyond me.

I hope one day they make a park entrance idealized to show what a street in California was like in the 80s to represent Michael Eisner's arrival to TWDC.
So something like this

disneyland-guest-uses-return-ticket-won-as-prize-for-30th-anniversary-in-1985.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom