Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

GLaDOS

They are not on the same level of overall franchise. Not unless JK steps outside what she has said she would do, and creates MORE POTTER.

As a super fan of both franschises, I have to say one thing: GTFO. Both are the two top franchises in the world for fandoms. Both have multiple, huge, yearly conventions dedicated to them, and both have fans passing them down to their kids. Neither will fade from the public consciousness within our lifetimes, and likely within our children's lifetimes.

LithiumBill

Really? Uncalled for there?

I kinda said I read all the books, right? Loved them. Read the first to out loud to my kids... Not a huge fan of the movies because they did not live up to the books, IMO.

My point was, there will be more Star Wars. There is a hit TV show on right now. More movies will follow, more TV... the merchandise is still selling huge numbers from toys to games to apparel... It is NOT on the same level of Potter. Fact.

Does not call yours (and mine) love for Potter false. I t just means, right now JK has stopped all Potter. Nothing new will come. (until she changes her mind)

But, GTFO is a bit harsh dude.

lazyboy97o

When did The Walt Disney Company announce its intention to acquire Marvel Entertainment?
When did The Walt Disney Company officially acquire Marvel Entertainment?
When did The Walt Disney Company announce a new theme park experienced based on a Marvel property?

Despite what Lasseter said back when Pixar Was purchased, there has been no evidence to show any interest on Disney's part to move quickly in regards to theme park developments. Given Iger's love of caution I really have a hard time seeing a new attraction until after Episode VII has made an acceptable amount of money.

disney fan 13

That's a tough call. I have stuck my toes into the EU a bit and found it muddled
and cliquish. Really wasn't enchanted with how that all was handled, but there
are some clever and interesting ideas in there. I'm one of those who is a fan,
and doesn't care much for it.

And, again, there's going to be a split, but really I think everyone's going to be
curious to see a George Lucas-free Star Wars. I'd sure rather have Clone Wars,
the original animated Tartovsky series, than more Jar-Jar.

Bottom line, these things happen. We need to move on. James Bond got
recast. Now Star Trek did a pretty good job with a reboot.

At least they're not rebooting the darn thing. Seems like we're going to get
Lucas' outline for the new trilogy, anyway.

Well, I think between us we've pretty much settled the nerd debate forever,
now. The internetz can go back to whatever they were doing, seems like
it's all over. :)

The EU is a interesting place. There are a lot of good book series post ROTJ (Thrawn,X-wing,NJO,and some of the Bantam one hit wonders are good as well.) and comics as well (Dark Empire,Legacy etc) that are pretty good, and it would stink to have them lost in a corporate takeover...

As for the movies, I really hope we see a Legacy era trilogy because mainly... it's familiar with the old trilogy plot wise, the big three are dead and it doesn't touch "Sacred Ground".

But yeah, debate solved :)

JustInTime

Really? Uncalled for there?

I kinda said I read all the books, right? Loved them. Read the first to out loud to my kids... Not a huge fan of the movies because they did not live up to the books, IMO.

My point was, there will be more Star Wars. There is a hit TV show on right now. More movies will follow, more TV... the merchandise is still selling huge numbers from toys to games to apparel... It is NOT on the same level of Potter. Fact.

Does not call yours (and mine) love for Potter false. I t just means, right now JK has stopped all Potter. Nothing new will come. (until she changes her mind)

But, GTFO is a bit harsh dude.

I disagree. Harry is the same level and the franchise has proved itself. AND Rowling said in an interview last month that she is playing with the idea of revisiting the Wizarding World. She is done with Harry but she still feels connected. She working on something and if there is a story to tell, she is going to tell it. I just wish the Star Wars franchise could have maintained the same integrity Harry Potter has.

kapeman

FWIW, I am very pleased that Kathleen Kennedy will be in charge of all of the Lucasfilm IP. I think she will protect the integrity of the product.

I just hope she doesn't get over-ruled by her new bosses on anything.

Taylor

I disagree. Harry is the same level and the franchise has proved itself. AND Rowling said in an interview last month that she is playing with the idea of revisiting the Wizarding World. She is done with Harry but she still feels connected. She working on something and if there is a story to tell, she is going to tell it. I just wish the Star Wars franchise could have maintained the same integrity Harry Potter has.
Give it time everyone gets greedy and only goes for money eventually

JustInTime

How long before JK starts turning out the prequels and sequels to Potter, now that her big "adult" book flopped horribly?

I loved the HP books, and the movies were "MEH" - nothing compared to the books.

How long before Potter fades with no support? No new movies. No new books. No new toys (those NEVER equaled SW). No new apparel, I see SW everywhere, Potter nowhere. GO to any toy store, how big is the Potter section? Is there a potter section? Now, Star Wars, that gets an entire aisle.

They are not on the same level of overall franchise. Not unless JK steps outside what she has said she would do, and creates MORE POTTER.

How did the book flop horribly? It's on track to be the best selling hardback of the year...

LithiumBill

That is great news then, because I would inhale more Potter books, I really did enjoy them.

There was a solid story told in the Potter books, there was no JAR JAR to be found, no prequel mess to sully the image of the rest of the movies... agreed.

Which franchise is bigger is determined by the merchandise sales, right (heck I could be wrong). Go to target, or walmart, or Toys R Us... tell me who has more merchandise, and which sells better? That is the only point I am trying to make. It's fact. Star Wars has been selling merch since 1977. Not saying the quality is better than potter. But on any given school day, I'll wager I see more Star Wars t-shirts than Potter.

JustInTime

Give it time everyone gets greedy and only goes for money eventually

Not Rowling. Count on it. She is different. She has creative control and is the richest woman in the world. It's not gonna happen. If it was going to happen, it would have happened when she was still struggling with little money and Steven Spielberg tried to turn her seres into a CGI-american-high-school-drama. She denied the biggest director in the world and turned down undisclosed amounts of money - all because she knew her own vision. As long as she is alive, the franchise will be protected.

novawildcat18

I don't think the prequels sullied the series of Star Wars. I think only Episode 1 was questionable, Episodes 2 + 3 are good, with 3 being a fantastic overall movie. I am excited at the thought of Disney owning Lucasfilm and I think the possibilities are endless.

I also tend to agree that Harry Potter is a franchise that has an incredible amount of staying power and influence. It would be great if JK expanded on the universe (I'm hoping for an Encyclopedia of some sort) but I am quite content with what she has given us.

JustInTime

Oh it will sell ok, pre-sales won the day with that. Read the reviews. There will be no magical movie from that book.

I've read the book, wasn't too impressed. It was OKAY. It's the most depressing book i've read in years. But it was a pretty big success commercially and financially. Reviews for the book where mixed. Not bad for her first adult novel, you have to admit.

LithiumBill

Not Rowling. Count on it. She is different. She has creative control and is the richest woman in the world. It's not gonna happen. If it was going to happen, it would have happened when she was still struggling with little money and Steven Spielberg tried to turn her seres into a CGI high school drama. She denied the biggest director in the world and turned down undisclosed amounts of money - all because she knew her own vision. As long as she is alive, the franchise will be protected.
As it should, she's not the put a logo on everything type of person Lucas is. Potter is staying pure, and true to her vision... I admire that. Lucas built this giant Star Wars machine, not everything is of high quality, we all know that - but it's huge. The fan base is there, drooling for something to get behind and re-energize it.

LithiumBill

I've read the book, wasn't too impressed. It was OKAY. It's the most depressing book i've read in years. But it was a pretty big success commercially and financially. Reviews for the book where mixed. Not bad for her first adult novel, you have to admit.

I've not read it to be fair. But I've not seen a good review... A departure, and probably a cleansing TBH. Too many years of POTTER, needed to clean out her pipes, so to speak.

I agree with you on the longevity of the Potter franchise, but The Casual Vacancy is horrible. The critics definitely got it right on that one. It only sold because everyone was hoping to recapture some Potter magic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom