Disney Bus Fatally Hits Pedestrian

wdwfan22

Original Poster
This just in ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- State troopers were on the scene of a fatal accident in front of Disney’s Port Orleans Resort just before 5:30 p.m. Sunday.

Florida Highway Patrol said an elderly man between sixty-five and seventy-five years old was hit by a Disney bus after he stepped in front of it.

Troopers say the man, who was on vacation with his family, was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center, where he later died.

Troopers determined the bus driver was not at fault.

Disney World released this statement regarding the fatal accident.

"We offer our deepest condolences to the guests' family and loved ones.

We are doing all we can for them during this difficult time," said Meg Crofton, President of Walt Disney World Resort.

from WFTV.com

Jimmy Thick

If you ever stop and look, people wander all over where they should not, you will constantly see people stepping in front of buses ALL the time. For something like this to happen, does not surprise me one bit. The fact the driver was not at fault is not shocking.

Jimmy Thick- Stay behind the lines...

s8film40

I certainly don't know the details of this incident and while every situation is different. There is definitely an issue at WDW with the quality of people they are able to employ. Was the driver at fault if the guy stepped in front of him of course not, but people step in front of buses every single day at WDW. They could have an incident like this every week and the fault would never be on WDW. Without all the details it's difficult to form an opinion on this, but looking at the whole picture it's difficult to say that Disney doesn't have some sort of fundamental problem. The truth of the matter is if your a good driver it's very difficult to work for WDW when you could be making twice as much with Mears. That doesn't mean that all WDW bus drivers are the bottom of the barrel but when your dealing with large number of employees it affects the odds of something happening when you have the lowest standards for selecting and retaining employees.

AlishaMisha

completely surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. I have seen threads that didn't seam all that bad be locked...so mods, where are you anyways?

For as "many" accidents as Disney has, I would say it's a positive number considering how many busses Disney has running at one time. Think of how many hours a week Disney busses are going and how few accidents occur.

State Police woulid most certainly issue a citation or charge a driver in a fatality accident or say it was pending if they didn't have enough information on scene. If they are already saying the driver is not at fault, they must have had credible witness statements to make such a bold press release right off the bat.

I feel sorry for the deceased and the driver. The driver, although not his fault, will have to live with this incident. It's truly sad people begin making statements about Disney, the drivers, minimum wage, and then "natural selection" with such disregard.

imthewalrus79

Reported...

BTW, I choose to not blame the victim in situations like this. Like I said, there's been a rash of accidents at WDW as of late and Disney doesn't seem to be doing a darn thing to curb the epidemic.

Why should it all be up to Disney? You can't just check your brain at the door because you're on vacation at Walt Disney World. Yes, they should always review any measures that will make things as safe as they possibly can for their guests and cast members. But guests need to take some responsibility for themselves and their children. When Disney is at fault, I think they should do what they can for the family of the injured. But nothing irks me more when someone wants to sue Disney, or any other company, because they or a family member was hurt or killed due to their irresponsibility.

Also, what epidemic is there with accidents with Disney transportation. If my memory is correct, the last accident reported was back at the beginning of April. If I'm right, that's just over eight months between accidents. For a transportation system the size of Disney World's and the amount of miles those buses must put in each day, that's a pretty amazing to me, especially considering how many accidents I see reported just during the morning rush hour on my local news each day.

As for this particular accident, we obviously don't know all the details and don't think it's fair to Disney, the deceased or his family for us to throw blame at any party at this point.

In closing, I wish his family nothing but the best at what must be a horrible situation.

Erika

completely surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. I have seen threads that didn't seam all that bad be locked...so mods, where are you anyways?

Can't speak for the others, but I've been celebrating the holidays with family in from out of town ;)

At any rate, I've cleaned things up considerably, so hopefully things will stay clean from here on out.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Calm down folks. Let's not hang anyone around here just yet.

I have a feeling this thread will no longer exist when I get home from work this afternoon!

floridabill

maybe the busses need that self breaking system that some cars have. Yes busses are heavier but maybe he wouldn't have been killed just injured. though we don't know the details, it doesn't mean he was a bottom of the barrel driver, it takes allot to stop a bus they are so heavy. I work in retail so i can tell you people are beyond clueless and you have top practically hold there hand and help them shop cause they don't know what they are doing.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have a feeling this thread will no longer exist when I get home from work this afternoon!

Probably depends on who decides to post in here between now and then.

As others, my sympathies to the family for such an unfortunate accident.

Fantasmic

Rather than pointing fingers of whose to blame, spare a thought for the poor gentleman who was killed, and his family... my deepest sympathies go out to them. Such a tragedy. :(

TRONorail10

Last year I might have been one of those people who was quick to blame Disney, but after continuously seeing how often guests disobey safety rules and have ill disregred for cast members, then I do put all the blame on the pedestrian. It was mentioned before, when people come on vacation, they think they are in "la la land." Disney World is a real place and its still in the real world. It has rules to insure the millions of people that pass through the gates every year are safe. But people have to take some personal responsibility. Disney doesn't need to be holding our hand, but the way some people act and think, it's almost getting to that point. I love Disney World, but I hate all of the ingnorant people it attracts.

shatech

We just got back from Disney a week ago, and I cannot tell you how many times buses would be pulling up and children would be in the ROAD. I could not believe the parents not paying attention to their kids! Not that that has anything to do with this unfortunate accident, I just could not believe what the poor drivers had to deal with, I would have had an ulcer! Anyway I did notice there were stops that had staffing to help load the buses and keep guests back, I have a notion that will become more common place. Not that this would have helped in this case, but I think people get so caught up on the beauty of the resorts and the landscaping that they forget to be aware of their surroundings. Condolences to the family as well as the driver and his/her family.:(

This is sad for all involved.

I agree that it seems like a lot of people check their common sense and their brains at the gate as soon as they hit Disney property. They leave their purses, etc., out and unguarded, they let their small kids wander aimlessly, and they walk in front of any moving vehicle without realizing it or fully realizing it and expecting the driver of the vehicle to simply stop.

It's like when you go shopping at a Michaels craft store or at a Home Depot store: people check their brains at the door and wander around aimlessly because they've got a project on their mind and they are completely and totally focused on what they need and on nothing -- or no one -- else. I've been walked into, had a hand/finger stuck in my face as people are making "air measurements", seen kids wandering around because their parents are too engrossed in toilets, etc.

Bottom line, though, it's a truly unfortunate accident. I wonder if this will cause any changes (such as school busses that have those long arms that flip out so someone can't pass too closely in front of the bus).

hrcollectibles

If you ever stop and look, people wander all over where they should not, you will constantly see people stepping in front of buses ALL the time. For something like this to happen, does not surprise me one bit. The fact the driver was not at fault is not shocking.

Jimmy Thick- Stay behind the lines...

As Jiminy Cricket says "Stop, look and listen". It is sad that another fatality happened on Property, but things like this are bound to happen when there are thousands of guests on property on a daily basis. How long before the family tries to sue?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Can't speak for the others, but I've been celebrating the holidays with family in from out of town ;)

At any rate, I've cleaned things up considerably, so hopefully things will stay clean from here on out.

Thanks as always Erika - you do a great job, it's appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom