President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Related threads:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sheesh. The only thing they point out that they could make happen on the Board would be getting a successor to Iger. But even then, they're only two votes. And Peltz would just want someone who can make further cuts or sell off assets in order to get his precious dividends.

Neither have experience with media. What could they do to make movies better? Or to better navigate the ever-changing milieu of the death of linear and conversion to streaming? Will Perlmutter have their ear to learn how to create a bigger disaster than Inhumans?

And as far as cutting costs... under Iger, they're cutting $7B. What else could they cut?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sheesh. The only thing they point out that they could make happen on the Board would be getting a successor to Iger. But even then, they're only two votes. And Peltz would just want someone who can make further cuts or sell off assets in order to get his precious dividends.

Neither have experience with media. What could they do to make movies better? Or to better navigate the ever-changing milieu of the death of linear and conversion to streaming? Will Perlmutter have their ear to learn how to create a bigger disaster than Inhumans?

And as far as cutting costs... under Iger, they're cutting $7B. What else could they cut?
Not only that but Disney just last month re-instituted the dividend. So Peltz has even less cause for trying to get seats other than to try to break up the company, which we know he wants to do.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Will Perlmutter have their ear to learn how to create a bigger disaster than Inhumans?
I enjoyed Inhumans a lot more than Eternals. And more than a couple of the Disney+ Marvel shows. And the Netflix shows and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter were WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than any Marvel shows that have been done since, IMO.

That said, I don't credit those to Perlmutter, pet se. I think Jeph Loeb oversaw Marvel TV in that era.

And tossing Rasulo's name into the ring seems a slap at Iger and his bringing Mayer & Staggs back to "consult". It's certainly not because Rasulo would be particularly welcome back at the company. The better suggestion would have been Dick Cook who was Disney through and through before he was unceremoniously dumped.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
So we know the combatants:

Against Disney:
  • wanting 2 seats on the board: Peltz and Jay Rusolo, and then making Rusolo the CEO
    • Nelson Where's My Dividend Peltz
    • Ike Smash Iger Perlmutter

For Disney:
  • ValueAct Capital with Mason Morfit. They penned an information-sharing agreement with Disney's BoD and will act as an advisor.

Sorta For Disney:
  • Blackwells Capital. Jason Aintabi, Chief Investment Officer just publicly slams Peltz as awful.
  • However, they're not totally on board with Disney's BoD, and are recommending three people for the board:
    • Jessica Schell, a former Warner Bros. and NBCUniversal exec;
    • Tribeca Film Festival co-founder Craig Hatkoff;
    • and TaskRabbit founder Leah Solivan.

TsWade2

I was going to root for Nelson Peltz until he brings back the worst Disney executive ever, Jay Rasulo. I can't support him! He ruins Disneyland! Probably worst than Josh D'Amaro!

TsWade2

So we know the combatants:

Against Disney:
  • wanting 2 seats on the board: Peltz and Jay Rusolo, and then making Rusolo the CEO
    • Nelson Where's My Dividend Peltz
    • Ike Smash Iger Perlmutter

For Disney:
  • ValueAct Capital with Mason Morfit. They penned an information-sharing agreement with Disney's BoD and will act as an advisor.

Sorta For Disney:
  • Blackwells Capital. Jason Aintabi, Chief Investment Officer just publicly slams Peltz as awful.
  • However, they're not totally on board with Disney's BoD, and are recommending three people for the board:
    • Jessica Schell, a former Warner Bros. and NBCUniversal exec;
    • Tribeca Film Festival co-founder Craig Hatkoff;
    • and TaskRabbit founder Leah Solivan.

Are they really good? And how bad is Peltz? What did he do?

TP2000

I was going to root for Nelson Peltz until he brings back the worst Disney executive ever, Jay Rasulo. I can't support him! He ruins Disneyland! Probably worst than Josh D'Amaro!

Huh? Jay Rasulo was the Parks Chairman in the 2000's and not only allowed the $1 Billion+ remake of DCA to go forward, but gave the Imagineers carte blanche to do it without shoehorning IP in everywhere (a 1930's Buena Vista Street with fan-nerdy Walt references, a plussed up Grizzly Peak, a Victorian styled Paradise Pier without a single baby on a pole, etc., etc.) That was also the time that Tony Baxter was doing lovely little plus-ups of Disneyland, like the upgraded Rivers of America in 2009, etc.

Rasulo was also the Parks Chairman who not only fired Cynthia Harriss invited Cynthia Harriss to spend more time with family, but he also chose Matt Ouimet to swoop in and save Disneyland in time for the 50th. And it worked beautifully.

I can certainly criticize Rasulo for a few things, but "ruins Disneyland" is not one of them.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

One of his goals:

Target and achieve Netflix-like margins of 15-20% by FY 2027

Nice... but how? You can only do that with hiking up the price to as much as Netlfix charges.

Also, his website:

Makes it very clear this is all about the stocks. Last time, he pretended he was concerned about people's experience of the parks and movies and wanted to make it all magical.

His new site makes it clear: It's all about the dividends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom