Disney Attendances Summer 2001

Malc

Original Poster
I'm sure someone has mentioned recently that the crowds were down this year. Can anyone confirm?
Just preparing ourselves for an August trip!

markymark

There is a thread on here somewhere, but I cant find it at the moment. It said that attendance is down about 7%, but as Tramp has pointed out, for attendance of 40,000 originally that means it is now about 35,000 or so. Not really a big difference.

The Mom

Premium Member
An article was in the Florida Times Union 7/15 (AP) stating that attendance was down 7-8% at WDW, and 15% in Orlando overall. I think things might just be getting back to a managable level, after a few years of unbearable crowding.(I hope)

mightyduck

My family has gone to Disney every July/August for many years. I went last week and the only place I waited in line for more than 10 minutes for anything (using fastpasses) was in MK, and I made the mistake of going on early admission day so despite the torrential downpour all day, the crowds never really thinned.

Good luck!

Tramp

Originally posted by Malc
I'm sure someone has mentioned recently that the crowds were down this year. Can anyone confirm?
Just preparing ourselves for an August trip!

If you're going after August 13th, I'll be back to give you an honest, up-to-date opinion of the crowds...

Last year, we saw a substantial decrease in attendance on August 1st because the Florida kids went back to school and the South American tour groups vanished.

The only thing you may need to worry about is Mr. Lightbeer. He will be there in August and he has a tendency to draw crowds wherever he goes because he is second only to the Beatles as a popular British attraction.

mightyduck

Ah, yes, Tramp. I forgot Florida returns to school early. I think other places do, too. I live at the Jersey shore where tourism dictates most districts let the kids help out at summer jobs until after Labor Day--it's a short season here.

J

Gwen

We were at Disney the week of June 15th - June 22nd. The crowds were very light. This was our 12th trip and I have never experienced the lines so short. The majority of the rides had no wait. You just walked through the maze and got on. The only wait was for Splash and Test Trek which were maybe 20 minute waits. Fastpass really did not come in handy for us.

We commented several times during our stay that we felt the crowds were smaller than usually. We voiced our opinion to one of Disney's employees and she agreed with us. She said she felt that people were spending as much time at the surrounding parks (Universal, Sea World), as in Disney. :p

The Mom

Premium Member
The Florida school schedule may be a factor, Duval county returns August 6th, I don't know about the Orlando area schools. Maybe Sillyspook can let us know? My children are in private schools, so don't go back until the last week in August. If we weren't going north the 2nd week, I might hop down. (I still might, if the crowds are as few as reported!)

Tapestry2000

Originally posted by Gwen
We were at Disney the week of June 15th - June 22nd. The crowds were very light. This was our 12th trip and I have never experienced the lines so short. The majority of the rides had no wait. You just walked through the maze and got on. The only wait was for Splash and Test Trek which were maybe 20 minute waits. Fastpass really did not come in handy for us.

I went from June 16th-24th, and some of the lines were pretty long - Test Track had a 120 minute wait and all the Fastpasses were given out for the day, and that was around 10:00am. A CM said that the ride broke down and that's why the line was so long...we went back the next day, got our Fastpasses, and saw the standby line was only 45 minutes, which only was about 25 minutes.

Malc

Original Poster
OK everybody, thanks for your help and comments.
Sounds like its not going to be too crowded this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom