Disney at Walmart

uklad79

Anyone who is considering (or has been) shopping at Walmart would be well advised to do their homework, google the company, and maybe even watch a documentary about the company. There are plenty of resources out there. :cry:

I am sure all 100m weekly shoppers will take that advice. I also suggest they google Apple and china too. At least Walmart's abuses bring low prices and a more affordable life for people not just huge profits.

NewfieFan

Maybe I'm missing something, maybe things are different in Canada, maybe things are just different in Newfoundland... but Walmart doesn't have the same stigma attached to it here that a lot of folks in this thread have hinted at (or come right out and stated it). Everyone shops Walmart here and I mean everyone! Maybe it's b/c it's the only department store we have!?! :shrug:

I wish our Walmart carried more Disney branded items. I have no way to get a little Disney during the year except for Walmart. And no, we can't order from the Disney Store... have you seen the prices for international shipping? :eek:

Anyways, after reading the blog this doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me... no matter what your thoughts on Walmart are!

ToTBellHop

Disney should have at least gone with classier Targét.

This would all be a non-issue if it weren't such a metaphor for the last 10 years at WDW.

Uncle Lupe

So why not make people seek out your own line of stores?
Walmart still has a good bit of an image problem even with those who shop there. It is still very much a pragmatic place to shop, not a destination at which one expects to find an experience.

Accessibility. 3000+ Walmart stores in the US. The nearest Disney store to me is 2 hrs away. I wish I could visit a Disney store in a whim but it is not possible.

Honey, can we make a 4 hr round trip of driving alone, to get a Mickey overlay slide for my smartphone pics?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Disney should have at least gone with classier Targét.

This would all be a non-issue if it weren't such a metaphor for the last 10 years at WDW.

It IS at Target....big end cap with lamps, shades, photoframes, mickey icon bank...which I could not refuse as it is bigger than my older mickey bank to save more $$ in....:lol:. I don't mind seeing Disney at any store....I refuse to go to Walmart excepting the time we could not find a specific Ben and Jerrys limited flavor ice cream and had to enter therein....:lookaroun. The most special items I have always found IN park, else ebay from someone else who bought an item at park over the years...:king:.

and YES we all know where we were when we did a photo session with Mickey....we paid for it!!!! I think it's great they have a fastpass for it now....:king:

lazyboy97o

Accessibility. 3000+ Walmart stores in the US. The nearest Disney store to me is 2 hrs away. I wish I could visit a Disney store in a whim but it is not possible.

Honey, can we make a 4 hr round trip of driving alone, to get a Mickey overlay slide for my smartphone pics?
This is not happening at all Walmart stores. Part of creating an experience is exclusivity.

uklad79

This is not happening at all Walmart stores. Part of creating an experience is exclusivity.

Since when is creating an experience anything to do with exclusivity? :rolleyes: I had an experience going up the Empire State Building years ago it wasn't exclusive millions of people have done it but that doesn't mean it wasn't an experience.

CBOMB

Nothing says "World-Class Vacation Destination" like a partnership with Wal-Mart.

One thing, though. If WDW was truly "Wal-marted," wouldn't it avoid high-end prices? If anything, current management likes to charge Neiman Marcus prices for a Wal-Mart product.

I'm sure the Four Seasons Resort chain is just champing at the bit to set up booking kiosk in Wal-Mart stores...or possibly a simulate facade of a Four Seasons Hotel where you can have your picture taken. After all. We wouldn't want to leave anybody out of the complete Disney experience.

dramamama

I am glad to be able to purchase Disney related merchandise at my local Wal-mart along with my groceries, household items, clothing, etc. I lived a frustrating 2 years in a no Walmart zone and am happy to be back in the land of Wally World. Frankly, if I had to shop at non-discount stores I would never be able to afford to go to WDW. I am sorry if that offends the elite. I don't recall Walt saying he wanted to create a place for only rich families to create memories.

uklad79

I am glad to be able to purchase Disney related merchandise at my local Wal-mart

I think that goes for many people too except the rabid fans who will post on here condemning the whole idea while wearing the Mickey gear they got at the local Walmart.

It all made in china by people earning $10 a month if you bought at WDW or Walmart so it's not like people are doing anything other than lining Mickey's pocket anyway.

Snobbery is rife on this forum.

Deadmanwalking

Walmart already sells other Disney branded products this isn't much different. Note that the article says "virtual Disney Character" which means they are probably taking a picture against a green screen and pasting it in with one of the characters.

Exactly. We already always stop at the Wal-Mart in Orlando when we go to Disney so we can get autograph books at a fraction of the price Disney sells them for in MK... and when you consider its all so someone in a furry suit can sign it... why would you pay the higher MK price.

devoy1701

Since when is creating an experience anything to do with exclusivity? :rolleyes: I had an experience going up the Empire State Building years ago it wasn't exclusive millions of people have done it but that doesn't mean it wasn't an experience.

But the experience is exclusive to New York City...which is exactly the point that people are trying to make about being able to snap picture with Mickey...that it should be exclusive to the Disney Parks (or the Disney Stores as well). Way to go in nullifying your example.

I think that goes for many people too except the rabid fans who will post on here condemning the whole idea while wearing the Mickey gear they got at the local Walmart.

It all made in china by people earning $10 a month if you bought at WDW or Walmart so it's not like people are doing anything other than lining Mickey's pocket anyway.

Snobbery is rife on this forum.

Present company included it seems...

dixiegirl

I actually picked up my favorite Disney T-shirt at Old Navy. American Flag Mickey head. And the shirt it s a better quality then I have been able to get through Disney.

Is'nt that sad about the quality? I've noticed that over the yrs..Shirts I've bought yrs ago holding up better than shirts I bough last yr...I don't mind paying if its good quality..

tracyandalex

Maybe it's just me, but I feel bad for the kids getting these fake pics with the characters. These kids will forever have a memory of going to a store and taking a picture with screen and getting to pretend that they actually met a character they would probably give anything to meet for real.

wilkeliza

Maybe it's just me, but I feel bad for the kids getting these fake pics with the characters. These kids will forever have a memory of going to a store and taking a picture with screen and getting to pretend that they actually met a charter they would probably give anything to meet for real.

I didn't even think of that. To use the application you have to have a smart phone and data plan. So many people complain about the cost of taking a family trip (my extended family trip it isn't just Disney it is any trip even to the local park) but they don't realize if they only used a standard cell phone or gave up smoking or were willing to live with out HBO and Showtime or Cable in general then they could put all that extra money away and use it for a good family vacation. Those are just examples from my family but I always say most people can cut back. Heck I just cut HBO and Showtime myself because I realized that extra 40 a month could be better spent somewhere else.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
er...I don't consider self a snob by not shopping at Walmart...as I happen to live in a huge area outside a major city that has dozens and dozens of retail opportunities discount and non....I DO shop at discount stores, never pay retail for clothing or shoes etc....it's the plain fact we even have a nice new shiny toy Walmart, in fact TWO of them within a few miles...my two times shopping there, once for ice cream and the first time for something DH bought for online pickup....left me with the worst customer service experience...there wasn't any and what was there left me never wanting to return. I also feel that way about Kmart and Sears....extremely bad service each and every time and I wonder how they survive with so much competition even in today's market.

I understand if you live in a smaller town without options, that Walmart perhaps is a way of life both for convienence and social gathering....but my inlaws who roadtrip allover stop at them and tell us of great discrepencies in their experiences. So I am sure no two stores are the same....I still cringe at the thought of having to return to the one I was last at.:lookaroun

PeoplemoverTTA

er...I don't consider self a snob by not shopping at Walmart.

Yeah, I'm not sure how people commenting on the Walmarting of WDW quality is somehow derogatory to people who shop or work at Walmart. :lookaroun

My aunt has worked in management at Walmart for 7 years (unhappily). Their status as one of the worst companies for employees is fairly well documented, so I won't go into it. I choose not to shop there, and I don't consider myself elite in the slightest. I've been out of work several times in the past few years, and since going into business for myself I make a livable wage. But I choose to own fewer things so that I can afford a better quality. I don't buy mass consumer junk, regardless of the price. And I choose to buy locally whenever possible.

That's how I am able to afford my Walt Disney World vacations. It's no better or worse than people who choose to shop at Walmart. And I'm pretty sure no one implied as much, except for those who were "offended."

lazyboy97o

But the experience is exclusive to New York City...which is exactly the point that people are trying to make about being able to snap picture with Mickey...that it should be exclusive to the Disney Parks (or the Disney Stores as well). Way to go in nullifying your example.
Exactly as devoy1701 said. Exclusivity is not just in terms of numbers of people or economics, but also geography and number available. There is only one Empire State Building. There are only a few buildings in the world with a comparable height. Very few people would pay $20/person to see the view from the top of a six story building, but they will pay to go up 85 stories (and more to go to the very top) because there are not many places where one can do that. That you paid and remember going up the Empire State Building is a result of its exclusivity. It would hardly be as memorable if you were up that heigh on a daily basis.

People by and large do not go to Walmart for the experience of being at Walmart. The motivations are pragmatic. It has the best prices. Its the closest. It has the biggest selection. Its open at this ungodly hour of night. Etc. There is no sizable group that goes to Walmart just to experience being at Walmart, as compared to someplace like The Disney Store twenty years ago or the Apple Store today. Walt Disney World, despite being so popular, is still exclusive because there is only one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom