Disney at Walmart

WDW1974

You really didn't think that they would let just anyone post anything that they thought, did you?

True.

I mean this is only America ... and what's more American than free speech and Mickey Mouse? :ROFLOL:

~Bringing It Home to Evil, Pinko, Godless, Commie China!~

Prototype82

Sometimes my friends and I play the "count how many times you see the Disney brand when you walk through Walmart" game. Okay, well I do. They just roll their eyes. It's amusing though. It feels like it's a quarter of the store. :ROFLOL:

fauzha7

Every loves to laugh at Walmart. I know how much Disney merchandise goes through their doors every day. I've been working for them for over 20 years. All I can say is that they pay me enough money to raise my family and pay for my yearly WDW trips. I find it funny that not once have I ever had a travel agent refuse to take my Walmart earned money to pay for my trips. BTW, that 4' square display is just a place to display the many different types for media that Disney sells to Walmart to sell to us. And the 6 set DVD Disney Park collection that is sold at the parks and other online Disney "fan" sites for up to $70? I bought mine at Sam's Club for $18.88. That adds up to $50 in my trip fund. Thanks Walmart and Sam's Club.

Captain Chaos

Every loves to laugh at Walmart. I know how much Disney merchandise goes through their doors every day. I've been working for them for over 20 years. All I can say is that they pay me enough money to raise my family and pay for my yearly WDW trips. I find it funny that not once have I ever had a travel agent refuse to take my Walmart earned money to pay for my trips. BTW, that 4' square display is just a place to display the many different types for media that Disney sells to Walmart to sell to us. And the 6 set DVD Disney Park collection that is sold at the parks and other online Disney "fan" sites for up to $70? I bought mine at Sam's Club for $18.88. That adds up to $50 in my trip fund. Thanks Walmart and Sam's Club.

And of course never admit to actually shopping there.. :lol:

disneyrcks

Thanks for sharing. I applaud you and your hard work. We work our off too for a vacation.

Maybe Disney is going in a different direction. Maybe it is time that some of you gave up on it going back to what it was before. If you and your stance has not been heard by now, then maybe it will not be. I have seen many people say it here, they will continue with what makes them money.

TalkingHead

Nothing says "World-Class Vacation Destination" like a partnership with Wal-Mart.

One thing, though. If WDW was truly "Wal-marted," wouldn't it avoid high-end prices? If anything, current management likes to charge Neiman Marcus prices for a Wal-Mart product.

The Duck

I wonder if K-Mart will team up with 6 Flags and offer virtual photos with Bugs Bunny? :lookaroun Anyway, this doesn't seem like such a big deal. Disney's just trying to make a buck and not everyone can afford a Disney vacation so it's a Win/Win for Disney and the average consumer.

uklad79

I guess now the rich have pushed the poor out of the Disney vacation market this is the closest the poor kids will get to meeting Mickey. It will give them an early start on why capitalism is the best system at controlling lines at WDW not fastpass.

I can see how the middle class and the wanna be middle class are disgusted by this as Disney should be a quality (read expensive) product which the poor don't have access to. No one wants there vacation to WDW cheapened by poor people they should stick to six flags with other rednecks and hobos.

Thankfully you shouldn't have to see such atrocities unless you have the misfortune to have to shop at Walmart which I am sure as decent middle class people none of you do.

~The "middle class" shop at Walmart further away from home, can't have the neighbors seeing~

The Duck

I guess now the rich have pushed the poor out of the Disney vacation market this is the closest the poor kids will get to meeting Mickey. It will give them an early start on why capitalism is the best system at controlling lines at WDW not fastpass.

I can see how the middle class and the wanna be middle class are disgusted by this as Disney should be a quality (read expensive) product which the poor don't have access to. No one wants there vacation to WDW cheapened by poor people they should stick to six flags with other rednecks and hobos.

Thankfully you shouldn't have to see such atrocities unless you have the misfortune to have to shop at Walmart which I am sure as decent middle class people none of you do.

~The "middle class" shop at Walmart further away from home, can't have the neighbors seeing~

I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic (at least, I HOPE that you are ;)). I admit that there's far too much elitism on many Disney boards and this board is relatively tame compared to some of the others. Personally, I'm glad to see people from all walks of life enjoy WDW and I feel that Walt would also.

b94ronman

This is nothing new for Disney.....maybe I'm old, but Disney had an exclusive deal with sears back in the mid through late 80's. In high school, I worked at sears as a stock boy and we sold many exclusive Disney items. I remember one was an exclusive box set of snow white when it was released on VHS, plus with that, sears released a plush dwarf each week that you could purchase. I bought them all for my girlfriend at the time. So Disney has always partnered with company's that reach the 'everyday person'.....sears is nowhere the company it was in the 80's.....why? Mostly because of Walmart.

Disney, like any other company needs to make money, and not only make money, but show a profit better than the year before, and they are very smart on finding EVERY other way to bring in non-traditional revenue...they have never only appealed to the elite class....it might have seemed that way....but the cost of airfare and other things have dropped over the past 20 years allowing people who have only dreamed of going, the chance to actually go....

Disney is at a crossroads.....they've discounted for many years now, can't blame them, we all know the economy plunged and they found away to keep people in the parks. Now it's rebounding, but the low cost of low airfares no longer exist. I first took my kids in 2006 and it cost me $400 round trip from Pittsburgh, now I'm paying at least $1000. Well, the econemy hasn't rebounded that much, it just stopped falling.....if I'm the average family, I'm thinking can I can afford a trip to Disney? Disney needs these people to come, we all see state of maintenance now, just think what it would be like without the crowds they get now. I can't see how they will ever stop the discounts..... Thats why they continue to raise the rates....makes it sound like a great deal, but is any room on that property really worth $400 plus a night?

I'm not a fan of the 'walmarting' of the Disney parks....the merchandise has really gone down hill in the last 10 years, but that has nothing to do with their partnership with Walmart. Partnering with Walmart only helps bring money into the Disney company, it effects nothing when it comes to merchandise, but without that money....it would definitely effects the operations of the company which trickles down to the parks.

Disney is very smart when it comes to marketing and embracing new ways to make money, how many parks had company's actually sign contracts to sponsor pavilions? Very few. Sponsorships are going by the wayside, but national company's like McDonald's and Walmart, which appeal to the average person, have lots of money to be an exclusive partner when it comes to merchandise in their particular stores....this only helps Disney meet their projections each year. These are mass appeal company's that reach almost everyone alive in some way...it's a genius way to reach everyone, and get paid to do it....it's nothing new....they have done it for years....now it's with Walmart instead of sears and McDonald's.

DisneyFan 2000

Won't stop people here from about it. I saw it too, if you weren't looking for it you'd walk right past the display.
I don't think with most it's about the so much as it is at laughing at the comedy of it because lets face it, with all the recent fan complaints about Disney becoming another Walmart this just seems like the punchline to the joke! :king: I do agree actually, it's not that big a deal at all.

dixiegirl

Yes, where else can you get a gallon of milk, $7 jeans, your diabetes prescription, and a picture with Mickey all in one place.

Now if they sold alcohol (and I don't mean the rubbing kind, although I guess you could use it for rubbing but that would lead to other,eh you get the idea), it would be complete!!!

dixiegirl

As much as I miss the Disney Store, I like that I can go to a target or Walmart or even Old Navy and get some real cute Disney Shirts for a quarter of the price I would pay at Disney store...Unless they had a sale! But I so miss the Exclusive days of being able to buy Disney Merchandise only at Disney or if your lucky and had one near you The Disney Store.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As much as I miss the Disney Store, I like that I can go to a target or Walmart or even Old Navy and get some real cute Disney Shirts for a quarter of the price I would pay at Disney store...Unless they had a sale! But I so miss the Exclusive days of being able to buy Disney Merchandise only at Disney or if your lucky and had one near you The Disney Store.

I actually picked up my favorite Disney T-shirt at Old Navy. American Flag Mickey head. And the shirt it s a better quality then I have been able to get through Disney.

lebeau

I actually picked up my favorite Disney T-shirt at Old Navy. American Flag Mickey head. And the shirt it s a better quality then I have been able to get through Disney.

3 years ago, our Disney Store closed and I didn't miss it at all. But last year we got a new Disney Store. And I would miss it terribly if it disappeared.

I'll give the Disney Store credit. They have greatly improved over 3 years ago. I'm still not buying a lot of T-shirts there, but I have picked up a lot of coffee mugs lately. For $6 or less. They have a really nice Spider-man mug on sale right now for $3. I got a mug with Pluto and Chip and Dale where Chip is sculted onto the handle. Very nice. Plus, this weekend they are offering 25% off (Happy25 is the code) and Free Shipping (ShipToday).

I have bought a lot of sleepwear for the girls. Again, the regular prices are steep. But they frequently run buy one/get one or two for $20 deals. Works out great since I have 2 girls. And the plushes are second to none. In fact, the toys have really improved over the generic stuff at Wal-Mart. Again, you have to watch for deals. They aren't worth the sticker price. But if you watch you can get them for a steal.

With the 25% off deal this weekend and two birthdays coming up in the spring, I just dropped a lot of money at the Disney Store website this morning!

lazyboy97o

Won't stop people here from about it. I saw it too, if you weren't looking for it you'd walk right past the display.
So why not make people seek out your own line of stores?

Walmart still has a good bit of an image problem even with those who shop there. It is still very much a pragmatic place to shop, not a destination at which one expects to find an experience.

Timekeeper

Anyone who is considering (or has been) shopping at Walmart would be well advised to do their homework, google the company, and maybe even watch a documentary about the company. There are plenty of resources out there. :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom