Disney announce an opening timeframe for Princess Fairytale Hall

TheDisneyMagic

It may take such a long time due to things like Asbestos removal (Isn't that what caused It's a Small World's long refurb length when it had it's overhall?).

Stupido

According to that description, it sounds like each Princess will be getting her own room, as opposed to the tent, where all three stood awkwardly. If so this is really good news, because you can now pick and choose exactly what princesses you want to meet, and it will certainly help with traffic flow moving from princess to princess.

Daannzzz

And here I was thinking they would be ready to gut the "temporary" meet and greet by the end of 2014 to put in the next dark ride.

lebeau

In other news, Disney has announced they will be putting up a new planter sometime in early 2014. This will be a fantastically themed planter, I'm sure.

Stupido

You have to see the timeline from a business perspective. They're purposely scheduling these things out in intervals to keep people coming back:

• Early 2012: Opening of first phase of StoryBook Circus
• Summer 2012: The rest of Storybook Circus
• Late Fall 2012: TLM and BatB
• First two quarters of 2013: Nothing needed (TLM and BatB will be the draw).
• Late Fall/early Winter 2013: Princess Fairytale Hall
• Early 2014: SWMT

Don't forget about the Bathrooms/Walkway that's going to themed after Tangled. I'm sure they'll conveniently open those when some hype starts dying.

jt04

Here is my take....

They talk about an "airey space with a high ceiling" so I think that means at least part of the roof is going. That makes this a fairly major refurb.

If there is asbestos, and likely there is, that takes a long time too.

My guess is the phased opening of the FLE is startegic (duh) and that they want something big (in the eyes of the intended audience) to market for Christmas 2013. Can't say I blame the mouse. It seems they may have adopted a strategy for something new with each big tourist season (summer AND Christmas). If true, then I think they are making a great decision and we will all reap the rewards over time no matter which demo we are in. See new Test Track for this Christmas for example. :D

Finally, and most imporatant, this looks more and more like a permanent addition to me. And I am fine with that as long as they remember they owe us a dark ride. Heh.

I wouldn't be suprised if they decided that whatever was planned for this space after the princesses may now be planned for another space. Phiharmagic has a limited shelf life IMO. :lookaroun

EpcotForever82

Finally, and most imporatant, this looks more and more like a permanent addition to me. And I am fine with that as long as they remember they owe us a dark ride. Heh.

I wouldn't be suprised if they decided that whatever was planned for this space after the princesses may now be planned for another space. Phiharmagic has a limited shelf life IMO. :lookaroun

They're building Little Mermaid, which is a dark ride.

-Adam

wogwog

They might also be closing SWSA early to recycle the AA figures for the Mine Train, but that dose seem like a long time to build a meet and greet
Two ideas being floated and could easily be done at a very low cost. The TST Princess area could be for The ducks and dogs or villains.

JeffH

I think it was just a mistake

I'll bet they meant 2012 and just got mixed up...it would make far more sense to open when the rest of the Princess area opens because it would be SO STUPID to still have princesses scattered about on Main Street and in Adventureland when the new (Princessland) area opens. I'll bet it and the Tangled meet and greet will all be open to greet Christmas and the New Year (and the capacity crowds they bring)

Ignohippo

It's possible they could be closing it now because it's so easy to get construction vehicles to that area after hours since so much of the area is still a construction zone.

Once the walls come down for TLM and BatB, it will be much more difficult to bring construction vehicles through the FLE without doing damage.

Like the SWMT, they'll probably do the major construction now and then move to the internal cosmetic work once TLM and BatB open.

Rob562

It's possible they could be closing it now because it's so easy to get construction vehicles to that area after hours since so much of the area is still a construction zone.

Once the walls come down for TLM and BatB, it will be much more difficult to bring construction vehicles through the FLE without doing damage.

Like the SWMT, they'll probably do the major construction now and then move to the internal cosmetic work once TLM and BatB open.

The alleyway between the tents and Little Mermaid was designed specifically to give access to construction and maintenance vehicles. There's also the alley between Mansion and Small World, which would give a much more direct access to the center of Fantasyland.

-Rob

Lets say new Fantasyland/Storybook Circus is open by 2014. How does it compare to the not new version of Disneyland's Fantasyland & Toontown combo? Especially when it comes to darkrides or just rides in general?
Disneyland = 8 darkrides: Snow White, Peter Pan, Small World, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad.
DisneyWorld = 4 darkrides: Dwarf Mine Train, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Small World.
Remember as well Disneyland has Pooh & Mermaid darkrides in other locations. Also I really love that Storybook Boat ride and Casey Junior Coaster in Disneyland's Fantasyland. Now I'm not saying this to try to say DL is better - I live closer to WDW and want desperately to my home park shine. But I can't help to feel that our new Fantasyland is a little lite on the attractions.

IlikeDW

Lets say new Fantasyland/Storybook Circus is open by 2014. How does it compare to the not new version of Disneyland's Fantasyland & Toontown combo? Especially when it comes to darkrides or just rides in general?
Disneyland = 8 darkrides: Snow White, Peter Pan, Small World, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad.
DisneyWorld = 4 darkrides: Dwarf Mine Train, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Small World.
Remember as well Disneyland has Pooh & Mermaid darkrides in other locations. Also I really love that Storybook Boat ride and Casey Junior Coaster in Disneyland's Fantasyland. Now I'm not saying this to try to say DL is better - I live closer to WDW and want desperately to my home park shine. But I can't help to feel that our new Fantasyland is a little lite on the attractions.

you forgot pooh at DisneyWorld

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Indeed. It might very well be that there's more that needs to be done than we can imagine. Might also be that SWSA has been held together with sum and bailing wire long enough and they just want to close it already to be done with the maitenance.

I am thinking this might be a big part of the length of the refurb. SWSA is one of the original rides at Magic Kingdom and has only had one major re-furbed in 1994. It's very possible that a considerable amount of work needs to be done on the building and this might be the first chance in 40 years to do it.

chargerag

I have watched shopping centers get built in 6 months. There is no way this is more complex then that even if they have to take it all the way to the ground and start over.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have watched shopping centers get built in 6 months. There is no way this is more complex then that even if they have to take it all the way to the ground and start over.
Really? Have you seen the demolition plans for this structure? What about the hazardous materials removal plan, or any one of a dozen other things that happen when retrofiring a 30-40 year old commercial structure? Shopping centers are frequently stock plans that have been built dozens if not hundreds of times. That is the reason they go up in 6 months. The two projects are as comparable as the manufacturing of a hot wheels car and the restoration of a classic car.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom