Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The original Lion King had no trouble winning over a global audience. What's driving this current film is not its quality, but nostalgia and Beyoncé. Just like the new Beauty and the Beast's appeal was nostalgia and Emma Watson. The appeal with these remakes is that people get to relive their childhoods/ and share a pivotal movie experience with their kids, even if that new take on the movie is less than the original (although IMO The new Jungle Book is more than the original. I think it's the superior film, but not just because of stellar CGI. The script was excellent, much more Kiplingesque than the original, which, in its defense, was never meant to be a Kipling film. It added more menace, more authentic animal behavior, and a stronger Mowgli. Just really excellent overall). I do wonder when audiences are going to realize that remaking an already-perfect film is just an exercise in cynicism, and how long they're willing to bankroll it?
I agree with you...except “cynicism”

Not sure the definition cuts it hard enough. Disney’s entire 2019 movie slate is the most blatant profiteering by a ceo in Hollywood history. It looks like a predetermined retirement plan/swan song. Which is why the smart money is still on Bob to “want to spend more time with his family” next year.

They have nothing really to tent pole beyond December.

jt04

The original Lion King had no trouble winning over a global audience. What's driving this current film is not its quality, but nostalgia and Beyoncé. Just like the new Beauty and the Beast's appeal was nostalgia and Emma Watson. The appeal with these remakes is that people get to relive their childhoods/ and share a pivotal movie experience with their kids, even if that new take on the movie is less than the original (although IMO The new Jungle Book is more than the original. I think it's the superior film, but not just because of stellar CGI. The script was excellent, much more Kiplingesque than the original, which, in its defense, was never meant to be a Kipling film. It added more menace, more authentic animal behavior, and a stronger Mowgli. Just really excellent overall). I do wonder when audiences are going to realize that remaking an already-perfect film like The Lion King is just an exercise in cynicism, and how long they're willing to bankroll it?

You can't compare the global market in 2019 to the early nineties. Entirely different scenarios with the proliferation of screens and the massive growth of the middle class.

Magenta Panther

You can't compare the global market in 2019 to the early nineties. Entirely different scenarios with the proliferation of screens and the massive growth of the middle class.

Um, okay. That comment does not speak to the idea that you proposed that the new version of the Lion King has more appeal to international audiences than did the original. There's not a speck of evidence to support that. In fact, it's the familiarity with the original film that is driving box office for the new one. There can be no doubt of that.

jt04

Um, okay. That comment does not speak to the idea that you proposed that the new version of the Lion King has more appeal to international audiences than did the original. There's not a speck of evidence to support that. In fact, it's the familiarity with the original film that is driving box office for the new one. There can be no doubt of that.

I think I said that for a large segment of the global audience this is their first viewing of the story. And an even larger number to see it in theaters. Even in the states.

Comparing the two probably does not provide the clearest picture of how it will do globally. IMO.

Animaniac93-98

I do wonder when audiences are going to realize that remaking an already-perfect film like The Lion King is just an exercise in cynicism, and how long they're willing to bankroll it?

If you look at Disney's historically best-selling home video titles, Disney has remade or is remaking most of them as of now:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Bambi
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty

One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Jungle Book

The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King

^ This was the list as of 2000, and what was the basis for the Platinum/Diamond/Singnature DVD lines. The ones in bold have already been released (Lady and the Tramp will be on Disney+ this fall), or are in active development like Cruella.

The less popular titles like Pete's Dragon and Dumbo, did not result in big business. I don't think audiences are smart enough to be cynical, or have very high standards, but I think interest will dampen after the major titles are done. With Lion King already in theaters, it's likely all downhill from here as far as box office is concerned.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True...but you also can’t account places where there has been a retraction in spending power of the middle classes either.

In a word: NATO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you look at Disney's historically best-selling home video titles, Disney has remade or is remaking most of them as of now:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Bambi
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Jungle Book

The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King

^ This was the list as of 2000, and what was the basis for the Platinum/Diamond/Singnature DVD lines. The ones in bold have already been released (Lady and the Tramp will be on Disney+ this fall), or are in active development like Cruella.

The less popular titles like Pete's Dragon and Dumbo, did not result in big business. I don't think audiences are smart enough to be cynical, or have very high standards, but I think interest will dampen after the major titles are done. With Lion King already in theaters, it's likely all downhill from here as far as box office is concerned.

They’re pretty much tapped out now.

What’s ironic is the “best” of the live actions weren’t remakes of the cartoons...but rather different spins on them:

Malificent, jungle book, and Alice.

And because they’re weren’t copies - they had the most franchise potential.

Dumbo tried...but Tim burton is so Damn weird. I’m surprised Depp didn’t play the elephants

RunningKoen

Lion king had the great opening scene...but other than Mufasa it didn’t make a lot of sense. Maybe it was the talking animals? I don’t know. This isn’t hindsight. I had the same feeling in 1994 when I saw it: “it was good...yeah...it was...but”

Have to disagree. It has a good story line. It got even better when it was changed to the story line for the musical.

I might be biased because Lion King still is my favorite Disney movie, tied with Hercules, and both stayed with me because of the combination of story, music and humor.

Several of the ' classic movie' have their roots in fairytales that have been around for ages and other stories (poetry, myths)
Lion King is the easier to understand and shorter version of Hamlet, Hercules is the greek mythology without all the adultry.

Disney excelled in cleaning them up with some story changes to make it more appropriate. Hamlet is legendary and the greek myths have survived for centuries, some would say they are from many eons ago. Guess these movies have some decent storylines

Last edited:

Jedijax719

I have to agree that the live action remake thing is getting tapped out. Just because immensely popular animated films yielded immensely successful live action remakes doesn't mean they can just do it to all of them and expect the same results. Mulan is iffy because of the changes to a more serious film. TLM will be very successful, or at least should. We'll see if it can hold up. But beyond that? I don't think so. The early ones that weren't based on the renaissance years were different enough to be seen as fresh (Alice, Maleficent, and Jungle Book). Cinderella wasn't all THAT successful but was a decent hit. However, they deviated from the musical aspect and it was geared strictly to females who enjoyed it. It was never meant to be a 4-tier film and was 2-tier at best. No interest from males whatsoever.

The well will dry out in a couple of years and Disney+ will be the release medium for future remakes. The call has been made by fans and audiences. Despite what will be HUGE success from TLK, Disney has hopefully heard that call which is to make new, fresh stories. Accusations of a lack of creativity and originality have risen and Disney will have to show that they will at least try.

erasure fan1

Just because immensely popular animated films yielded immensely successful live action remakes doesn't mean they can just do it to all of them and expect the same results.
Oh yea, watch them.
Here's a great article that sums up the difference between the old and new Lion Kings - it spoke to me AND for me:

Good article. I unfortunately don't see Disney changing how they do things. As much as I loved Princess and the frog, it really sealed the fate for traditional animation. I think it's a mistake but the instant dollar is what is most important to Disney.

BalooChicago

The thing I don’t understand about the remakes is why they’re releasing them on each other’s backs - I would think they might be better received if there was some space between them. If nothing else it might keep some stink from a dud off a better film.

jt04

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

“...is there NOTHING Bob can’t remake??!!!”

If TWDC decided to create sequels to some of these blockbuster remakes it could be a massive new component of their theatrical releases. New stories with familiar and new characters. Rather mind boggling.

Iger sure has made it 'easy' for the next CEO. Both with theatrical content and the potential of Disney+.
But also with the infrastructure upgrades to parks and resorts. And you can't see any of it due to bias.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If TWDC decided to create sequels to some of these blockbuster remakes it could be a massive new component of their theatrical releases. New stories with familiar and new characters. Rather mind boggling.

Iger sure has made it 'easy' for the next CEO. Both with theatrical content and the potential of Disney+.
But also with the infrastructure upgrades to parks and resorts. And you can't see any of it due to bias.

Well...I suppose that’s one way of looking at it

jt04

Well...I suppose that’s one way of looking at it

Yes. The next CEO won't have to worry about rebuilding the animation division, holding WDW together as opposed to selling off chunks of it, or having content and a means to distribute it. Globally.

So there's that. And a couple new cruise ships too. 🚢

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. The next CEO won't have to worry about rebuilding the animation division, holding WDW together as opposed to selling off chunks of it, or having content and a means to distribute it. Globally.

So there's that. And a couple new cruise ships too. 🚢
Wait...you do know Eisner retired, right?

I’m glad you read Storming the Magic Kingdom...but it was written in 1985

Darkprime

The thing I don’t understand about the remakes is why they’re releasing them on each other’s backs - I would think they might be better received if there was some space between them. If nothing else it might keep some stink from a dud off a better film.

Im certain its because of Disney+ launching in November. Their getting everything out in the first and second half of the year so the 90 day theatrical window will pass by the time Disney+ launches. Its already slated to host Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 at launch.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Im certain its because of Disney+ launching in November. Their getting everything out in the first and second half of the year so the 90 day theatrical window will pass by the time Disney+ launches. Its already slated to host Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 at launch.
Frozen 2 would release in the theater about a week after the streaming service

Disneyfanman

I’m convinced that this is a large part of the reason. Remember too that Malificent was PULLED forward from 2020 to this year and crammed into an already crowded fall. It didn’t make any sense because Disney already was set to own the year. Then they dropped dates for their VOD service. They are setting up a constant flow of big premiers for the first few months of their service. Also the big story for them all next year will be the streaming service, but this year it’s still revenue, income, and rollover. From a stock price protection perspective, the strategy makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom