Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

Californian Elitist

0B2A53A4-6859-4CC9-9441-F207F2F5B276.jpeg

Jedijax719

Still struggling a bit on the mouth and expressions. Aslan from 2005's Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe seemed to have more expression than what I have seen in the LK's teasers/trailers/promos. Kind of makes me nervous.

Jedijax719

The mouth movements in the clips are so...hmmm...I don't know. So far they don't look as good as the animation from the 2005 Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe.

Disney Analyst

57% on Rotten Tomatoes. I feel like Disney is in a rough patch right now... People are really starting to be over the remakes, Galaxy's Edge barely moved the needle at Disneyland... I'm feeling disheartened for the first time in my Disney fan career.

Villains0501

I think part of the problem with some of these recent remakes is that they're fighting an uphill battle against the sheer strength of the originals. It's one thing to re-adapt 50+ year old films like Cinderella, Alice, Sleeping Beauty, and Jungle Book, which, for all their positives, do feel a bit creaky and ripe for a reevaluation or new perspective. But redoing the best films from the Renaissance period? That was bound to be risky from the start. The originals still feel contemporary and are so structurally sound and beautifully crafted, I don't see how you can possibly improve upon them without veering into superfluity (i.e. time-traveling, plague epidemics, and the Napoleonic Wars in 2017's Beauty and the Beast). I wish Disney had shown a touch more delicacy in picking and choosing which films of their oeuvre to re-adapt. The good news is it sounds like the upcoming Mulan and Hunchback remakes will deviate more from their parent films in a good way. Of all the 90s Disney films, they're probably the two best suited for the remake treatment anyway.

Animaniac93-98

I feel like Disney was banking on high praise for this one, or else they would have kept the embargo up until the Wednesday before, like Aladdin.

Negative pre-release word of mouth could hurt its opening weekend, although many tickets have already been sold.

Princess Leia

I feel like Disney was banking on high praise for this one, or else they would have kept the embargo up until the Wednesday before, like Aladdin.

Negative pre-release word of mouth could hurt its opening weekend, although many tickets have already been sold.
That didn’t hurt Aladdin.

Whenever I tell someone that I’m not seeing this one in theaters, they express shock. But from the start, I have had zero interest seeing it. I’ll just pull out my Lion King blu-ray next weekend instead, or finally go see Far From Home

Jedijax719

$1 billion would be disappointing. This was poised to get close to $2 billion. $700 million domestic was all but certain while $650 million was absolutely certain. The reviews are devastating. I would have thought that 70's or 80's on RT would be expected if the movie didn't hit all cylinders. But 57%? With 8 days still to go? Even Aladdin was hovering around 60% for a few days.

Strong messages have been sent by critics about the live-action remakes.

Mike S

That didn’t hurt Aladdin.

Whenever I tell someone that I’m not seeing this one in theaters, they express shock. But from the start, I have had zero interest seeing it. I’ll just pull out my Lion King blu-ray next weekend instead, or finally go see Far From Home
Far From Home was great. Hopefully the credits scene hasn’t been spoiled for you. It’s amazing :happy:

Jedijax719

Ah but Aladdin and TLK are different in terms of pre-RT. Aladdin was destroyed on social media. It was cinematic catastrophe with little to no positive feelings. Between Guy Ritchie, Will Blue Nightmare, the horrid Prince Ali clip, stale acting, blue shine on the desert, etc., it was clobbered left and right. It was expected to be in the cellar in terms of ratings-maybe 40's, 30's, or even 20's. We're talking Ritchie's King Arthur or even Justice League/Dawn of Justice levels. But every single criticism, when put in context with the movie, was met with a different reaction. The reviews came out as "not great but better than we expected". In other words, the criticisms didn't match the actual reviews of the films and even reviewers who gave it low scores didn't do so because of ANY of the problems cited by social media for several months.

For TLK, it seems to be polar opposite. Non-stop positive vibes. People who saw parts of it in test screenings acted like it was the second coming. People blew off the lack of animal expression as being just holding back. This movie had all the hype and positive vibes and, after Aladdin's critical rating but doing well at the box office, TLK was expected to be absolutely ridiculously amazing. So.....this 57% is MUCH more of a shock than Aladdin's which was expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom