News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

seascape

I wonder if Disney can somehow add movie ticket ordering on their streaming services. They are a major investor in Atom and it could allow them more information on their customers.

bartholomr4

I think that becomes the benefit of the Comcast ownership with international expansion particular in Europe. (Disney will be fine 100% without Comcast in India with the domination that Star has on the market). However in US and Europe, who already owns a international broadband service that can now bundle Hulu boosting the number of subscribers? Comcast. What program does that Comcast has that already aggregates all APP data so you don't have to switch apps but still access and subscribed to all your services? Comcast Xfinity which will move to Sky this year. Hulu likely no matter where will have some form of low cost AVOD which Comcast part ownership would assist in. While that deal benefits Disney more especially if Comcast stays for international expansion, there are still ways Comcast can exploit such as bundling Hulu+/Disney+ to sell more Sky packages overall with ease of access concept. Additionally in regards to international expansion, a strength Comcast has that will help drastically in Asian markets is their ownership of a ton of anime (over 450 IPs)/Korean drama titles (200 titles last time I checked)/ and foreign distribution of Chinese dramas (I don't know much as this is hard to find but from what I've seen is a decent size. (when it comes to adult Asian content outside India, Fox and Disney both lack as well as neither invested heavily in anime which is a popular genre in the East to this day).

I saw you mentioned Comcast streaming service overall goal isn't to be a Disney+/Netflix Killer as its going to already be provided for free to Sky and Comcast customers (Not even AT&T is doing that with their service). So if every Sky and Comcast gets it and uses it and no one else subscribers...lowballing both Sky and Comcast lets say Sky has 12 million subscribers and Comcast has 25 million subscribers. That's 37 million contributing to ad revenue not just domestic but worldwide which puts ad space even more at a premium. That will help reduce costs for Comcast.

As for 5G, I get the hyped but one thing most people forget about is the power output/device technology/and cost of 5G for both companies and consumers in the near future will be brutal. I don't think Comcast is going to rush a 5G rollout .

All good points.... Even if Comcast doesn't invest in 5G, they will have to respond to it as a competition and increase the speed of their wired lines. 5G will eat into their revenue, one way or another.

Also the Comcast NBCU streaming service is free everywhere with advertisement.... Its going to be like over the air tv for NBCU content like using the old rabbit ears. Nothing special and free as long as you like to feed their advertising revenue stream (8 commercials every 10 minutes).

Bottom line to me..... Comcast will be struggling on multiple fronts to pay for their ambitions..... I am thinking Disney will have the upper hand, and at the minimum, Comcast position in Hulu will shrink, in the short term and eventually be sold to Disney. Again, just my opinion.

Quinnmac000

All good points.... Even if Comcast doesn't invest in 5G, they will have to respond to it as a competition and increase the speed of their wired lines. 5G will eat into their revenue, one way or another.

Also the Comcast NBCU streaming service is free everywhere with advertisement.... Its going to be like over the air tv for NBCU content like using the old rabbit ears. Nothing special and free as long as you like to feed their advertising revenue stream (8 commercials every 10 minutes).

Bottom line to me..... Comcast will be struggling on multiple fronts to pay for their ambitions..... I am thinking Disney will have the upper hand, and at the minimum, Comcast position in Hulu will shrink, in the short term and eventually be sold to Disney. Again, just my opinion.

More like 300 seconds of commercials every hour. As to the format of how it will be done is currently unknown. I've heard they may sandwiched before and after, I've heard they would do ads during, I have heard maybe doing ads at the end before the next episodes of a show plays. So that will be interesting to find out.

But I do Comcast will pull out of Hulu, I just don't think anytime in the next 3-5 years.

seascape

I agree with you that Comcast has major expenses coming soon due to wireless competition. AT&T and Verizon will have major pushes into wireless 5G internet. They will have an easier time signing up customers with multiple homes because those consumers can take a small device between their homes and only have to pay for one service.

Overall because of streaming and the decisions Disney has made they are in much better position for their movies, television and themepark business than Comcast. Disney owns the movie box office, their streaming service Disney Plus will easily be number 2 behind Netflix but when included with Hotstar will blow Netflix away. Then with their themeparks continuing growth and Comcast having to spend more on internet service while losing video customers the money will have to come from their parks.

One thing to keep in mind is that Comcast has slightly less than 25 million customers in the US and Sky has about the same in Europe. Hulu currently only has about 10% of that for Hulu with live TV but about the same amount of customers for their standalone service. With proper marketing Hulu with live TV, combined with Disney plus should exceed Comcast's customer base in the US. Europe will be harder to catch Sky but the overall share Disney gets will be large. In Asia and Central and South America Disney/Fox/Star will continue as number 1. Hotstar in India alone has 75 million subscribers.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

@bartholomr4

Seems like you're onto something when you say that if investments aren't made they forfeit a percentage of their equity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/business/media/netflixs-main-rival-is-hulu.html

When Time Warner bought a 10 percent stake in Hulu in August 2016, it paid $583 million, implying a valuation of $5.8 billion. Nearly two years later, Disney’s advisers pegged Hulu at a $9.3 billion valuation. This month, after AT&T sold its 9.5 percent stake for $1.43 billion, the valuation shot up to $15 billion. (Note: AT&T forfeited 0.5 percent of its stake when it didn’t make continued investments into Hulu. That small portion went back to Hulu.) That means Hulu’s valuation jumped by 2.6 times in two and a half years.

Quinnmac000

Rodan75

This seems a little suspect. I don’t believe Disney would make a purchase in the gaming space for at least another year.

I suspect Iger feels burned by his previous attempts to increase their gaming revenue. Although I suspect Disney will buy a publisher at some point, but only if that purchase brings in a leader who has vision. A Lassiter or Feige type person to avoid the previous missteps.

Indy_UK

They could buy a game developer and bring them in house for a lot less than this Japanese mobile game company wants for itself.

bartholomr4

This seems a little suspect. I don’t believe Disney would make a purchase in the gaming space for at least another year.

I suspect Iger feels burned by his previous attempts to increase their gaming revenue. Although I suspect Disney will buy a publisher at some point, but only if that purchase brings in a leader who has vision. A Lassiter or Feige type person to avoid the previous missteps.

I totally agree. Iger has been asked about his interest in purchasing a gaming company 3 or 4 times this year, and he has waived off the questioner. I think he will leave this to a successor.... Lot to work on with the 21CF integration.

erasure fan1

And he really knows nothing about the game industry so why tarnish his acquisition record with a huge flop. The best thing they can do in the game space is farm it out to other developers but DO NOT give it exclusivity like they did with EA and star wars. If Iger had wanted to play in the game space they wouldn't have shuttered Lucas arts, and all their other studios over the years as well.

Rodan75

I totally agree. Iger has been asked about his interest in purchasing a gaming company 3 or 4 times this year, and he has waived off the questioner. I think he will leave this to a successor.... Lot to work on with the 21CF integration.

Agreed. I also think that Disney should buy Square Enix or Ubisoft. Neither of which Iger would touch. Although it is a way for Chapek to prove himself.

VJ

Agreed. I also think that Disney should buy Square Enix or Ubisoft. Neither of which Iger would touch. Although it is a way for Chapek to prove himself.
disney buying square enix is the video game equivalent of disney buying oriental land company

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom