News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Darkprime

Just wondering now that the deal has closed could Disney appeal the DOJs condition to sell the RSNs if they struggle to find a buyer or is it too late for that?

Rodan75

Just wondering now that the deal has closed could Disney appeal the DOJs condition to sell the RSNs if they struggle to find a buyer or is it too late for that?

That would be unlikely. They agreed to the spin off. While technically I believe it is possible, it would likely hurt them in the long run.

Darkprime

That would be unlikely. They agreed to the spin off. While technically I believe it is possible, it would likely hurt them in the long run.

Thing is I got the impression they never wanted to sell them in the 1st place and only agreed to it to get a timing advantage over Comcast. If Comcast wasn't in play I think Disney would have talked with the DOJ a bit more and maybe got approval with behavioural remedies. Instead. Could Disney request an extension at least? I feel like 90 days just won't be enough I believe Brazil gave them until 2020 to sell the Latin America Networks that's a bit more reasonable.

Last edited:

Rodan75

Thing is I got the impression they never wanted to sell them in the 1st place and only agreed to it to get a timing advantage over Comcast. If Comcast wasn't in play I think Disney would have talked with the DOJ a bit more and maybe got approval with behavioural remedies. Instead. Could Disney request an extension at least? I feel like 90 days just won't be enough I believe Brazil gave them until 2020 to sell the Latin America Networks that's a bit more reasonable.

I think @seascape postulated that they could ‘spin off’ the sports networks instead of out right selling them. Which would give them a path to reabsorbing them again in the future. Honestly I think it is better to sell them and then use the proceeds to wage a war to get Streaming NFL Sunday Ticket.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

None of that is likely. Paramount will never let Indy 1-4 and Titanic leave their hands no matter how much money Disney throws at them, the Clone Wars distribution rights from WB have probably already expired (it's no longer in print on any other platform, physical or digital, besides Netflix, which also streams the whole series) and AT&T has made it clear they only want to offload the Hulu stake to reduce debt load, and Disney can afford it without borrowing more money or making a trade (enough with the trade theories, fans!).

I guess technically money for assets is a trade, but other than that I didn't suggest any trade in the post you quoted. Not too long ago people were saying it was impossible for X-Men and Fantastic Four to ever go back to Marvel, but look at it now.

I have seen no indication that the distribution rights for the Clone Wars has expired. Do you have a source besides it's not for sale on physical or digital?

Regarding Disney's wants to buy licensing of their IPs from 3rd parties, Iger was asked that question in a recent financial quarter. He was asked specifically about the Star Wars that Turner got in 2016 that will expire in 2024 and he replied some akin to, "there has been some reports on the matter and I'll say is that we are talking to 3rd parties that have licensed our content to see if we can amend the contract". So yeah, I believe Disney would want to get Clone Wars and the streaming rights from WB if they buy the 10% Hulu stake from them.

Not at all. It has everything to do with money. The Indy movies and Titanic are huge cash-cows for Paramount and they will demand a significant premium from Disney for both movies. The reason Paramount still has distribution rights to the Indy movies is because they gave up the rights to future movies and all merchandising rights to Disney in exchange for keeping the rights and financial participation for future movies. Getting Titanic out of Paramount's hands will be next-to-impossible because they foot part of the bill and own part of the copyright for it (Fox sold the North American rights to them during production because they were afraid it would lose a huge amount of money if it flopped) and so Disney would have to take out even more money just to get their portion of the copyright and rights.

Given that they've already spent tens of billions of dollars for assets they're still trying to integrate, everything will be staying put. A few movies are not going to be the draw that gets people to subscribe to their service (and if they are, their service is doomed to fail).

How much money do you actually think Indy movies and Titanic net Paramount each year? My guess would be 7 digits or low 8 digits between streaming, VOD, DVD/Blu Ray, and cable. Star Wars - a much bigger franchise - netted ~275MM over 8 years at Turner. That was for 10 movies and included newly released theatrical movies. The 4 newer films were estimated to have been accountable for at least 140-160MM of that amount, which would give the rights to the 6 legacy ones about 14-17MM per year. I doubt the 5 aforementioned movies would command even close to this amount. You are free to your opinion and it's valid to say it'll never happen, but they are not huge cash cows IMO. It may never happen, but Disney bought Paramount's Avengers, Cap America, Ironman, and Thor distribution rights in 2010. The deal for the aforementioned movies should be cheaper than the one for the 6 Marvel movies was, which included some that still hadn't seen a theatrical release. If I had to guess it would be around the same amount Disney paid to acquire distribution rights to Ironman, Ironman 2, Thor, and Captain America in 2013 from.......Paramount. But you may be right and it may be something they are not interested in pursuing.

Disney's deal with Paramount in 2013 for Indy was just for marketing and distribution of future movies. Lucas already owned all the merchandise rights to Indy and that transferred over to Disney in the 2012 acquisition.

I do agree that these are not necessities, but nice to have. I never suggested otherwise. People will actually sign up for the service based on original content (i.e. The Mandalorian and Loki).

I think @seascape postulated that they could ‘spin off’ the sports networks instead of out right selling them. Which would give them a path to reabsorbing them again in the future. Honestly I think it is better to sell them and then use the proceeds to wage a war to get Streaming NFL Sunday Ticket.

I concur.

capsshield

I hope they reboot Indy with a younger actor and plan out a series of movies, or make a new Indy movie using a grandson or daughter of Harrison Fords character and give the franchise a fresh start.

Now that the deal has happened, I can't wait to see and hear what comes next.
Personally I hope they cancel the Dark Phoenix and new mutant movies I feel releasing them will only further damage future X-Men movies. What Fox did to the X-Men is terrible. No understanding at all of who the characters are.

I know they are working on Black Widow, but I feel that movie should go to Disney Plus. My gut feeling is it will be a quick easy low cost way to fill a slot. Black Widow has never been a major player or successful property as a comic. It is a "C" level property at best. I'm positive it will do big box office numbers but I suspect it will fall short of what many of the other franchises have done and the studios expectations. Gut feeling is that this film will help fill the void Capt. America or Iron Man is leaving.

The Eternals does have potential to be huge and can fill the void Thor has left. I think it is a "D" level property, however that give them more freedom to shape it to fit the MCU. The rumored character list introduces a lot of Missing Avengers that could spin off on their own and the movie could help explain the different factions of deities.
If there is a Captain Britain and Black Knight film it will also help fill the Iron Man, Captain America void, and could lead to the Avengers / Defenders war. (no way we will not see this 5-10 years down the road)

Planet of the apes is the one big franchise that fox had that I hope gets a lot of love and a reboot. I would be happy with any platform.

Rosso11

I hope they reboot Indy with a younger actor and plan out a series of movies, or make a new Indy movie using a grandson or daughter of Harrison Fords character and give the franchise a fresh start.

I’ve always thought they should set it up like The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles where they have an older Indiana Jones, played by Harrison Ford, tell stories of when he is younger with a new actor playing the young Indiana. I think the public would be much more willing to accept a recast in this scenario and make the transition better. The problem with doing the movie based on his kids or grandkids is the time period in my opinion. The closer it gets to modern time the less it will feel like Indiana Jones. It needs to be more in the age of exploration.

Quinnmac000

kurtk

I may have missed it here in this thread, but I was wondering how much of the $71B Disney will be getting back for the properties they need to sell off. I would assume this would somewhat reduce the actual cost since they are not going to get those .
Has that ever been discussed here?

bartholomr4

The article isn't even right as the films rights are owned by King Features Syndicate....not Fox or Disney they likely were licensed to Fox.

Ya, that’s why I put it here... I did read the reference article in Variety, and it suggested that Fox had Licensed the character for a movie.... Would love to know more....

bartholomr4

I may have missed it here in this thread, but I was wondering how much of the $71B Disney will be getting back for the properties they need to sell off. I would assume this would somewhat reduce the actual cost since they are not going to get those *.
Has that ever been discussed here?

Yes, in detail (probably back last summer when Disney won the bid against Comcast).... Rough numbers, Disney got about 19 billion in cash with the purchase which Fox Had on hand, most of that coming from the Sale of the 21CF stake in Sky to Comcast. Disney is hoping to get somewhere between 13.5 and 15 billion from the sale of the Regional Sports Networks.... Fox paid a net of 6 Billion to Disney for Debt which Disney absorbed which are related to the New Fox Assets, and lastly, an unknown proceeds Disney will get for the sale of 1) Fox Sports in Mexico, 2) Fox Sports Brazil and 3) A&E Europe.... There may be something I am missing... if so someone will chime in....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom