News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Darkprime

Finally an update from CADE. Doesnt really tell us anything new tho.

The Plenary of the Administrative Council of Economic Defense (CADE), in its acronym in Portuguese) approved a proposition from commissioner Paulo Burnier to send official letters in order to gather more information regarding the acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox by The Walt Disney Company.

The merger was notified to Cade on July 20, 2018. Among other markets, the companies operate in the distribution of motion pictures to movie theaters, as well as in the distribution and licensing of TV contents, licensing of merchandising and programs on cable TV.

In December of the last year, CADE's General Superintendence (SG/CADE) decided to send the case to the Court analysis. After reviewing the data collected throughout the initial phase of the process, SG/Cade verified that the companies' business merger raises competition concerns on the cable sports channels market - which include ESPN and Fox Sports.

According to the Superintendence, currently, there is only one large audience competitor capable of competing with those channels and there is no probability of a future scenario for the next years with newcomers on this market. Furthermore, ESPN and Fox Sports are currently the closest competitors that broadcast international sports content.

The case is still under review by CADE´s Administrative Tribunal. The legal deadline is 240 days, which can be extended for more 90 days. Until now, there is no final decision from the authority.

Darkprime

Sometimes I wish I could just forget about this deal. let a few months go by and log on one day and see its been completed. Being so invested as a marvel fan and following every step makes it seem like its taking forever.

mab7689

Mexico IFT update (automatically translated into English on Google Chrome mobile browser)
If I'm comprehending this right, it looks like they haven't set a date to meet on it yet but their decision won't be revealed publicly when they do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212-222528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-222528_Chrome.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20190212-222549_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-222549_Chrome.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 45

Darkprime

Mexico IFT update (automatically translated into English on Google Chrome mobile browser)
If I'm comprehending this right, it looks like they haven't set a date to meet on it yet but their decision won't be revealed publicly when they do.

well that sucks. at least it seems slightly more positive than Brazil. Hopefully IFT approves with conditions. Maybe CADE is waiting to see what IFT does? Im sure both IFT and CADE are talking since both have "concerns" about sports channels.

Darkprime

Some good news at least. Bloomberg seems to confirm that Brazil and Mexico are the final approval's needed.

There are still some loose ends, including approvals in Brazil and Mexico and the sale of 22 Fox regional sports networks required by the U.S. Justice Department. The company has 90 days after the close of the Fox deal to complete that.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

It seems weird that Disney would be willing to divest in America the Fox RSNs, but in Brazil and Mexico they want to keep the Fox Sports channels.

It's not a coincidence they were willing to divest the RSNs so quickly after Roberts and friends made a serious offer. I feel very confident Disney would have fought tooth and nail for the RSNs if Comcast never came in the picture with a very serious bid.

Darkprime

So I did a little research and from what I can tell it looks like CADE never intended to approve the deal at Tuesdays meeting as the meeting was a clarification on an information request. As confirmed by CADE in a press release on Monday which I posted at the top of this page. It looks like Disney got one of those letters of a clarification information request. Iger was there to clarify his stance on Fox Sports Brazil and his reasoning for acquiring it his presence was probably requested by CADE. Sad to see Bloomberg sink so low into clickbait. He probably did a little wine and dining with the regulators who were holding up the approval process.

bartholomr4

So I did a little research and from what I can tell it looks like CADE never intended to approve the deal at Tuesdays meeting as the meeting was a clarification on an information request. As confirmed by CADE in a press release on Monday which I posted at the top of this page. It looks like Disney got one of those letters of a clarification information request. Iger was there to clarify his stance on Fox Sports Brazil and his reasoning for acquiring it his presence was probably requested by CADE. Sad to see Bloomberg sink so low into clickbait. He probably did a little wine and dining with the regulators who were holding up the approval process.

I totally agree..... Just think about it.... the official government anti-trust regulator can’t decide if a deal is good or bad, the CEO of the combined company shows up, they have a meeting, and then miraculously the deal is automatically approved, everyone stands in front of the ABC news cameras and say’s “ We were so confused, but now that Bob has explained it to us, now we see the light, and we approve the merger”?????? Never was going to happen. He may have clarified things, and provided some reassurance, and answered real time “what-if” questions, but he was never going to walk away with the approval..... even if he did get approval assurance, they wouldn’t annouce it until they meet, on the 27th.

I also think Iger going there and meeting with them face to face is a high risk strategy. If anything it makes it harder for the CADE to approve the thing. It would look as though they were bending to his pressure..... He must be willing to give them what they want (spin off or sale of the Fox Sports rights), and he wants to get on with the start of the new company.

From the CADE perspective, what are their options? Make him sell Fox Sports Brazil to someone else? Close it down? Some other entity is going to purchase it, and want to make money, and probably charge the good people of Brazil a pay-per-view price to watch the channel (Same in Mexico). If they really want everyone to see these games, then Bob can give them assurance (like he did with Sky) that he will make no changes to the current broadcast situation (over the air, everyone gets it for free, and has to watch too many commercials) for say 10 years.....

This is about the CADE saving face (in my opinion)..... we will see, but don’t be surprised if we aren’t still speculating about this in May!

Darkprime

Interestingly. Disneys new deadline for the exchange of offers and consent solicitations is now Feb 26th the day before CADE is next set to meet.... Fingers crossed this means we should get some good news on the 27th. And yea I agree with you it would look suspicious if they approved it the day after they met with Iger.

brodie999

Interestingly. Disneys new deadline for the exchange of offers and consent solicitations is now Feb 26th the day before CADE is next set to meet.... Fingers crossed this means we should get some good news on the 27th. And yea I agree with you it would look suspicious if they approved it the day after they met with Iger.
I agree. I hope they wait until Mexico's IFT approves the deal beforehand because they wanna know the deal proves it doesn't harm competition. The deal is in its final steps to being completed in the next few weeks. Hopefully, Brazil will set it sooner than the 26th or 27th because Bob Iger is very persuasive in making deals.

JoeCamel

I totally agree..... Just think about it.... the official government anti-trust regulator can’t decide if a deal is good or bad, the CEO of the combined company shows up, they have a meeting, and then miraculously the deal is automatically approved, everyone stands in front of the ABC news cameras and say’s “ We were so confused, but now that Bob has explained it to us, now we see the light, and we approve the merger”?????? Never was going to happen. He may have clarified things, and provided some reassurance, and answered real time “what-if” questions, but he was never going to walk away with the approval..... even if he did get approval assurance, they wouldn’t annouce it until they meet, on the 27th.

I also think Iger going there and meeting with them face to face is a high risk strategy. If anything it makes it harder for the CADE to approve the thing. It would look as though they were bending to his pressure..... He must be willing to give them what they want (spin off or sale of the Fox Sports rights), and he wants to get on with the start of the new company.

From the CADE perspective, what are their options? Make him sell Fox Sports Brazil to someone else? Close it down? Some other entity is going to purchase it, and want to make money, and probably charge the good people of Brazil a pay-per-view price to watch the channel (Same in Mexico). If they really want everyone to see these games, then Bob can give them assurance (like he did with Sky) that he will make no changes to the current broadcast situation (over the air, everyone gets it for free, and has to watch too many commercials) for say 10 years.....

This is about the CADE saving face (in my opinion)..... we will see, but don’t be surprised if we aren’t still speculating about this in May!
I wonder if a suitcase full of cash was involved?

bartholomr4

News - Bloomberglaw.com
Brazil Antitrust Regulator Could Ask Extra Meeting to Disney-Fox
Posted Feb. 14, 2019, 10:54 AM

Brazil antitrust regulator member responsible for the merger case between The Walt Disney Co. and 21st-Century Fox, Polyanna Vilanova, said that there is still no decision regarding a possible date for the case to go to trial. The Legal deadline for the case to go to ruling is March 17, but from now to then there is only one Cade session scheduled, on February 27, said Vilanova in an interview. Vilanova said that she could ask for an extraordinary meeting of the Cade if the requested responses from competitive firms are not ready by the pre-meeting deadline.

brodie999

News - Bloomberglaw.com
Brazil Antitrust Regulator Could Ask Extra Meeting to Disney-Fox
Posted Feb. 14, 2019, 10:54 AM

Brazil antitrust regulator member responsible for the merger case between The Walt Disney Co. and 21st-Century Fox, Polyanna Vilanova, said that there is still no decision regarding a possible date for the case to go to trial. The Legal deadline for the case to go to ruling is March 17, but from now to then there is only one Cade session scheduled, on February 27, said Vilanova in an interview. Vilanova said that she could ask for an extraordinary meeting of the Cade if the requested responses from competitive firms are not ready by the pre-meeting deadline.
You got a link? Because I'd be surprised if Brazil approved the deal in that extra meeting. I hope it's before the 27th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom