News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Rodan75

Since this is a family-friendly forum I can not spew out profanity, but I am happy that Brazil is set to approve soon, but dang Mexico please at least before Brazil approve it with conditions, so it can meet the end of January deadline.

I suspect that Disney already knows what is happening with Mexico and that is why so much of the paperwork is in motion now.

bartholomr4

https://www.elespectador.com/econom...y-fox-se-integren-en-colombia-articulo-833298

Green light for Walt Disney and 21st Century Fox to integrate in Colombia
Economy
10 Jan 2019 - 1:29 PM

The Superintendence of Industry and Commerce (SIC) announced its decision to authorize the integration of these two companies in the country, which in the national territory are listed as The Walt Disney Company Colombia SA . and Fox Channels Colombia LTDA . As announced by this entity, the agreement also stipulated that Disney can keep the film and television studios of its acquisition, as well as the respective cable entertainment networks and international television companies. With the endorsement given by the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce, The Walt Disney Company will be able to acquire 21st Century Fox, in addition to its film and television studios, among others.

Disney's intentions to stay with 21st Century Fox , had an important milestone in July last year when the shareholders of the first approved this purchase. Beyond commercial intentions, the legal impact that one of these acquisitions can represent, such as the endangerment of free competition to other companies present in the market, leaves several rungs to climb. In Colombia, an advance was recorded this morning.

brodie999

This means that Mexico will most likely approve since Colombia a fellow Spanish speaking Latin American country approved it.
And Brazil will approve the deal since Colombia shares the northwest of America with Panama, Venezuela, Ecuador and Peru. Not only that, but it shares its limits with the Dominican Republic too. Brazil and Mexico are likely the only regulatory approvals left since all the other countries approved it in secret quietness.

bartholomr4

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/fox-disney-regional-sports-networks-bid-1203105421/

Fox Confirms It Won’t Bid on Disney’s Regional Sports Networks
By Cynthia Littleton

The new-model Fox Corp. will not be a bidder in the auction of the 22 regional sports networks that Disney is set to buy from 21st Century Fox.

Fox confirmed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Friday that it “does not intend” to make a run at any of the RSNs about to change hands. The Disney-21st Century Fox transaction is expected to close by early March. Disney has to sell the local cablers to comply with the terms of the agreement it reached last year with the Justice Department clearing the way for the $71.3 billion transaction.

There’d been speculation that the new Fox set to emerge after the Disney deal is done would try to buy back those 22 outlets. The RSNs were valued at about $20 billion in the terms of the Disney-21st Century Fox transaction. It’s still unclear how robust the market is for Disney’s mandated sale process. RSNs have become a lightning rod in the pay-TV arena because they command high per subscriber fees, driving up MVPD bills. But long-term there’s also concern about whether RSNs will be able to hang on to local sports rights as deep-pocketed digital giants barrel into the premium video business.

brodie999

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/fox-disney-regional-sports-networks-bid-1203105421/

Fox Confirms It Won’t Bid on Disney’s Regional Sports Networks
By Cynthia Littleton

The new-model Fox Corp. will not be a bidder in the auction of the 22 regional sports networks that Disney is set to buy from 21st Century Fox.

Fox confirmed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Friday that it “does not intend” to make a run at any of the RSNs about to change hands. The Disney-21st Century Fox transaction is expected to close by early March. Disney has to sell the local cablers to comply with the terms of the agreement it reached last year with the Justice Department clearing the way for the $71.3 billion transaction.

There’d been speculation that the new Fox set to emerge after the Disney deal is done would try to buy back those 22 outlets. The RSNs were valued at about $20 billion in the terms of the Disney-21st Century Fox transaction. It’s still unclear how robust the market is for Disney’s mandated sale process. RSNs have become a lightning rod in the pay-TV arena because they command high per subscriber fees, driving up MVPD bills. But long-term there’s also concern about whether RSNs will be able to hang on to local sports rights as deep-pocketed digital giants barrel into the premium video business.
Man, the deal really is taking a long time to be finalised. By the way, could someone please give us a list of which countries approved the deal and which haven't yet? It's always good to keep the list updated.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disney buy Comcast out of Hulu? While that sounds like the best thing in the world for Disney, they could just rely on the Hulu contract that forces NBC to supply content for Hulu so that NBC's streamer's content will be diluted, and not because NBC wants to license their content out but because they have to feed Hulu which they part-own.

brodie999

Disney buy Comcast out of Hulu? While that sounds like the best thing in the world for Disney, they could just rely on the Hulu contract that forces NBC to supply content for Hulu so that NBC's streamer's content will be diluted, and not because NBC wants to license their content out but because they have to feed Hulu which they part-own.
Agreed. And in order to buy Comcast/Universal, they'd have to navigate the laws and convince regulators they need the next 30% control of Hulu and the only way to make another MCU Incredible Hulk movie is to let them buy out the distribution rights to the character which Universal still owns.

seascape

Agreed. And in order to buy Comcast/Universal, they'd have to navigate the laws and convince regulators they need the next 30% control of Hulu and the only way to make another MCU Incredible Hulk movie is to let them buy out the distribution rights to the character which Universal still owns.
Back in December 2017 no one would have predicted Hulu would have over 25 million subscribers. In fact many people thought Netflix owned the market with little chance of Hulu ever making a profit. Now just 14 months later and in my opinion because of all the Disney Fox merger publicly and Iger's input Hulu now will be highly profitable by 2021. So Universal may decide it's in their interest in keeping their 30%. Hulu needed a majority owner to force it onto the right track and Netflix made a major mistake dropped their Marvel shows leaving them to Hulu. It was actually the Marvel Shows on Netflix that made me subscribe to Hulu and now I will be dropping Netflix.

Rodan75

Back in December 2017 no one would have predicted Hulu would have over 25 million subscribers. In fact many people thought Netflix owned the market with little chance of Hulu ever making a profit. Now just 14 months later and in my opinion because of all the Disney Fox merger publicly and Iger's input Hulu now will be highly profitable by 2021. So Universal may decide it's in their interest in keeping their 30%. Hulu needed a majority owner to force it onto the right track and Netflix made a major mistake dropped their Marvel shows leaving them to Hulu. It was actually the Marvel Shows on Netflix that made me subscribe to Hulu and now I will be dropping Netflix.

I think at some point it becomes counterproductive for Disney, AT&T and Comcast to continue to work together on Hulu. AT&T and Comcast will have competing content destinations with much of the same content they are licensing to Hulu. It would make more sense for both to sell to Disney between now and 2020. It is in Comcast's best interest though to stay a part of Hulu for as long as possible to get that competitive insight.

Also with Comcast doing this NBCU streaming service, I wonder if that changes the calculus on how Disney is treating ESPN in regard to Streaming vs. Cable content. I think that is an interesting development.

bartholomr4

I think at some point it becomes counterproductive for Disney, AT&T and Comcast to continue to work together on Hulu. AT&T and Comcast will have competing content destinations with much of the same content they are licensing to Hulu. It would make more sense for both to sell to Disney between now and 2020. It is in Comcast's best interest though to stay a part of Hulu for as long as possible to get that competitive insight.

Also with Comcast doing this NBCU streaming service, I wonder if that changes the calculus on how Disney is treating ESPN in regard to Streaming vs. Cable content. I think that is an interesting development.

We will know if Comcast really wants their 30% of Hulu, once Disney starts to spend more on Marketing and International Expansion (which will require investment above the amount of profit Hulu is generating). If Disney puts the money in, and Comcast and/or AT&T (both in heavy debt) fail to invest, then Disney’s control (and resulting equity) will rise..... I am waiting to see the 4th Quarter and 1st Quarter 10K’s to see if Comcast/AT&T continue to invest....... If they are not, then their hand will be tipped.... If however, ifthe annual “true-up” payments are made, then I would surmise no sale will result any time soon. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Hulu Board meetings...

Quinnmac000

Comcast literally said in the press reslease they planned to keep their stake in Hulu.

Additionally the service will be free to comcast subscribers so it’s not a money making service. It’s more for retention

Rodan75

Comcast literally said in the press reslease they planned to keep their stake in Hulu.

Additionally the service will be free to comcast subscribers so it’s not a money making service. It’s more for retention

Yes. But it is also ad supported. Like Hulu. But also for sale to non-cable subs. There will be original content, like Hulu. They plan to offer the service internationally, like Hulu. And they plan to give cable subs access. Like their TV Everywhere service (which opens some interesting options for ESPN.

This is definitely a for profit service that will directly compete with Hulu.

Quinnmac000

Yes. But it is also ad supported. Like Hulu. But also for sale to non-cable subs. There will be original content, like Hulu. They plan to offer the service internationally, like Hulu. And they plan to give cable subs access. Like their TV Everywhere service (which opens some interesting options for ESPN.

This is definitely a for profit service that will directly compete with Hulu.

Steve Burke stated later it will also be provided to Charter and DirectTV consumers and those outside the pay-tv network will those that would pay a fee to use.

Again if all cable users get it for free...it’s not gonna make money. It’s a retention tool.

And as stated and iterated by Comcast leadership
At the same time it builds out a new streaming organization under the leadership of longtime cable guru Bonnie Hammer, NBCU will continue to play the long game with Hulu, Burke confirmed. As one of the original content partners behind the 12-year-old streaming service, NBC has a 30% stake in it. Once Disney closes its $71.3 billion deal to acquire most of 21st Century Fox, Disney will control 60% of Hulu. But Bob Iger and his team see Hulu as one of the three pillars of Disney’s streaming strategy, along with ESPN+ and Disney+. Even as a minority owner of Hulu, NBCU has seats on its board, data from its 25 million subscribers to be gleaned and a financial profit motive to stay invested. True, Hulu loses money (about $1.5 billion last year), but the asset is estimated to be worth $5 billion.

bartholomr4

Steve Burke stated later it will also be provided to Charter and DirectTV consumers and those outside the pay-tv network will those that would pay a fee to use.

Again if all cable users get it for free...it’s not gonna make money. It’s a retention tool.

And as stated and iterated by Comcast leadership

Just for Grin's, lets agree that Disney and it's 60% will drive the expansion strategy. Currently Disney = 60%, Comcast = 30% and AT&T = 10%. Using the numbers above, that put's Disney's Equity value at 3 Billion, Comcast at 1.5 Billion, and AT&T at .5 Billion. Again for Grins, lets say Disney wants to spend 3.5 Billion on Expansion. That will increase the yearly loss to $5 billion. My question is would Comcast and AT&T Cover that $5.0 Billion or just stay pat?

Again, for Grins, lets say they don't participate. Using a little math, Disney's equity would rise to 84.6%, Comcast would Fall to 11.5% and AT&T to 3.8%. I know Comcast has said they want to "Play the Long Game" with Hulu, but the cost of playing along makes it harder for Comcast to reduce its Post Sky Acquisition debt level, (Same with AT&T and Time Warner). In game theory there are signal's sent, and the comment above is what I would say too..... Not sure it is what I would do if I were Comcast, as the money I put up for my major competitor to spend, will make that competitor stronger, not weaker.... as for the data on the 25 million subscribers, I would argue Comcast already has access to that data, and the benefit of "Playing the Long Game" is not greater than the cost to stay in the game.....

For me, I am folding and going to a different card table.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom