News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

jt04

Quarterly meeting today. Funny how Igerz detractors no longer provide us with live commentary on these boards. Maybe Ford Exploder will make a surprise return today and start a thread.

Rodan75

Quarterly meeting today. Funny how Igerz detractors no longer provide us with live commentary on these boards. Maybe Ford Exploder will make a surprise return today and start a thread.

Why poke the bear? There are far more interesting conversations around here now than there were then and a diversity of opinions exists here without being stifled by having to take sides on radical teams.

bartholomr4

By John Ourand – Sports Business Journal,
16 minutes ago

The Walt Disney Co. will begin accepting bids on Thursday for the group of 22 Fox-branded regional sports networks (RSN) that it is selling, according to sources.

These first rounds of bids will be submitted to Allen & Co., which is handling the sale along with JP Morgan Chase & Co., and meetings to discuss the opening bids will start as early as next week.

Sources expect a deal to close in the first quarter of next year and could fetch around $20 billion.

Disney (NYSE: DIS) started sending the official bid book to prospective buyers four weeks ago. Up to 40 bidders have signed a non-disclosure agreement to look at the RSNs.

Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA), which owns eights RSNs, is not submitting a bid, sources said. Neither is Fox Sports (NASDAQ: FOX, FOXA), which has been described in some circles as a front-runner to buy back the RSNs. Fox Sports, which still is managing the RSNs through the sales process, still could be involved in the sales process down the road.

A host of media companies, digital companies, individual teams and private equity groups have showed interest.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

South Africa has also approved the deal

http://www.compcom.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Weekly-Media-Statement-29-October-2018.pdf

1.11 The Walt Disney Company (TWDC) v Twenty First Century Fox, Inc. (21CF) The Commission has approved, without conditions, the proposed transaction whereby TWDC, intends to acquire 21CF. TWDC is a diversified worldwide entertainment company and is globally active throughout the audio-visual content supply chain. TWDC is also active in the supply of advertising TV space, live entertainment, consumer goods, theme parks, music, travel and wholesale supply of TV channel. 21CF is a diversified global company listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and registered in the laws of USA. 21CF is a diversified global media and entertainment firm and is active in the production and supply of audio-visual content including the wholesale supply of TV channels, advertising space and home entertainment. The Commission found that the proposed transaction is unlikely to lead to a substantial prevention or lessening of competition in the identified markets. Further, the proposed transaction does not raise any employment or other public interest concerns as the merging parties committed that there will be no merger specific retrenchments for a period of 2 (two) years from implementation date of the proposed transaction.

Basically besides U.S. and EU approval getting a lot of news, what other countries approval is newsworthy? I am aware India is one of the biggest to approve it but they seemed to not get a lot of news attention.

bartholomr4

The only major country left is China.

In an interview with CNBC this evening, Iger said there are "only a few countries left". He anticipates a quicker than forecast completion of the approvals, as in June he had said it would take a year. The CNBC reporter asked if Iger thought the trade war would get in the way of Chinese approval, and Iger said "No, I don't see that happening, and I expect a decision from the Chinese Government without any political interference"

wdwfan4ver

I am referring to former poster Ford91Exploder. Some people called him Ford Explorer in the past. He was on here up to May of this year. I said he was banned due to information WDWmagic mentioned in June.

He is the one that always had an ax to grind with Disney and a lot posters got sick of. Members here claimed he was blatantly lying and making up “facts.”

Indy_UK

Disney Streaming Service, now officially named Disney+, looks to be pushing National Geographic as the primary Fox presence on there.

https://preview.disneyplus.com/

I think the Nat Geo stuff makes sense to be on there as it gives more variety to appeal to families.

I wonder what’s going to happen to IP like Avatar. I believe in the cinema Disney will end up rotating the release of the sequels with Star Wars one every other year. But then does it then go to Disney + but under the Fox banner?

PB Watermelon

I think the Nat Geo stuff makes sense to be on there as it gives more variety to appeal to families.

I wonder what’s going to happen to IP like Avatar. I believe in the cinema Disney will end up rotating the release of the sequels with Star Wars one every other year. But then does it then go to Disney + but under the Fox banner?

Iger said Disney Plus is going to be "laser-focused" on family content. I imagine the Fox content with R-rated sex and violence and profanity would be headed to Hulu.

Progress.City

With the Fox Merger, I wonder if Disney would actually have enough IP content for (dare I say) a fifth gate at WDW or (more realistically) a third gate at DLR. With Comcast/Universal preparing their own third (and possibly fourth) gate(s) in Orlando, the question of additional Disney “gates” becomes more realistic, especially if the new Uni gates are proven successful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom