News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

mab7689

Bloomberg and the Financial Times are now both reporting that Comcast have come back with a £14.75 per share offer. That's £26 billion in total.

Rodan75

They are growing due to FCC has put out statements decreasing regulation for kids media to be aired on television as well as other beneficial statements.

Not likely directly tied to Sky/Fox merger

I'm not sure I buy that. That would incrementally increase ad revenue at Disney Channel, which would be a small drop in the bucket for TWDC. It is positive for them, but not worth $3 of stock price in a day and a half.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Fox was such a clear bargain at 52 billion that I posted for everyone here to put their money on Fox. I purchased my Fox shares after Disney made their first offer and have made a huge percentage return. I wish I had had more money to buy the stock but I made enough to be happy. It is not just Sharks that can make money on Wall Street. The thing to remember is if there is going to be a bidding war buy the takeover target and stay away from the buyers.

Same here. I made over 30% since December on FOX and FOXA. I wish I had put more money in them, but hindsight is 20/20.

matt9112

It feels like Comcast is rapidly getting boxed out of this and even has limited room to try and bid up the Disney's price. As discussed, there are so many better things for Comcast to throw cash at, that this really paints Roberts in a bad light.

like those two new theme parks?

seascape

Comcast is really on the verge of bankruptcy with there debt.
No they are not. Buying Sky at £14.75 wont hurt them provided they don't try to buy Fox too. Disney should sit back, say nothing and if Fox votes for the merger on the 27th to decide if they want to pay more. I see the advantage of owning Sky but it is getting very expensive and having the right to demand Comcast buy the 39% at that price will provide lots of cash, $13.26 billion. With that money they should be able to buy the 40% of Hulu they don't own, the rights to the Spiderman family from Sony and still have a few billion left. On the other hand I would still try one more time and bid £15.00 a share right after the Fox merger is approved on the 27th and then let Comcast win.

Stripes

Wow. That was fast.
Yep. I expected we'd be getting something soon. At the latest, we would've heard Thursday night (US time).

I'm certain Disney/Fox knew this too before they even made their £14 bid. I'm with @seascape. Disney should hold off on any other moves until they have Fox secured. Personally, I feel like we've reached a truce on both sides though.

A reporter from CNBC asked Murdoch when he was passing by today how much more he'd be willing to bid for Sky and he responded, "That's it," then "We'll see." I feel like that was a purposeful slip to basically say to Comcast: "Take Sky and go."

seascape

The best thing Comcast could do to get Disney to back down on Sky is to say they will not bid again on Fox. That would not be collusion. Disney could then announce that the price of Sky us too high and Comcast can have it all, including the 39% Fox owns. Comcast can then sell the 30% of Hulu they own to Disney for $2.4 billion. Maybe other things can be sold like the Hulk solo distribution rights and the right to use the Marvel name in US themeparks and for Universal to get worldwide rights to Spiderman and Hulk. At the end of all this and once Disney sells the RSNs, Disney should be able to pay off the full debt they borrowed to buy Fox in one year.

Rodan75

Yet another nail if true, and this one would be truly devastating:

I would imagine the outcome of the appeal would be some conditions on AT&T. The fact they didn’t get any, and they easily got Disney to agree to spin off the RSNs, probably leaves the DoJ feeling confident they can get something here.

seascape

I would imagine the outcome of the appeal would be some conditions on AT&T. The fact they didn’t get any, and they easily got Disney to agree to spin off the RSNs, probably leaves the DoJ feeling confident they can get something here.
I don't think it will be easy to get AT&T to agree to any restrictions now that they won their case. Disney agreed to sell the RSNs because it was the only way to get approval so quickly and they want the Fox deal closed this year. However, this story increases the chances that Comcast will walk away from the Fox deal. If the Justice Department thinks the AT&T case should be appealed there is little doubt they would take on a Comcast Fox antitrust case. For now we just have to wait 2 more weeks till we find out the voting results from Fox and Disney.

Rodan75

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain finally cleared Rupert Murdoch to buy Sky on Thursday, removing the final obstacle to a head-to-head battle between Murdoch's Twenty-First Century Fox and U.S. rival Comcast for the European pay-TV prize.

Culture Secretary Jeremy Wright said: "It is now a matter for the Sky shareholders to decide whether to accept 21st Century Fox's bid."

Murdoch has been trying to regain full control of SKY for over 5 years, finally gets approval while he is selling his stake, that has to be bittersweet.

Rodan75

While this article starts off with some thin clickbait premise about Jeff Bezos it is a good article that I think when applied to Disney we see why Disney can't quite be the same business it was in the 80's, let alone the 50's. I think Iger and Eisner both did a good job of moving into adjacencies and new models while also keeping much of the soul of Disney to keep the company alive and independent.

That methodology certainly dilutes Walt's original vision and I think it is a valid debate if it that vision has been diluted too much, especially as Fox is added to the mix.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-stock-investors-a-valuable-lesson-2018-07-12

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom