Disney always celebrating something!

darthjohnny

Original Poster
I have noticed that even though Disney advertises to visit the parks before a celebration is over, they are always celebrating something. They've seemed to have planned it out perfectly this time. The 50th celebration ends Sept. 30th, 2006. The very next day is Magic Kingdom's 35th anniversary on Oct. 1st. The next year is Epcot's 25th year. The next year is Animal Kingdom's 10th. And the next year is MGM's 20th. Then its back to Disneyland's 55th. Anyone else notice Disney's strategy?

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
darthjohnny said:
I have noticed that even though Disney advertises to visit the parks before a celebration is over, they are always celebrating something. They've seemed to have planned it out perfectly this time. The 50th celebration ends Sept. 30th, 2006. The very next day is Magic Kingdom's 35th anniversary on Oct. 1st. The next year is Epcot's 25th year. The next year is Animal Kingdom's 10th. And the next year is MGM's 20th. Then its back to Disneyland's 55th. Anyone else notice Disney's strategy?

I agree. When I was in Florida recently, I was with a friend who asked me, "I thought the 50th anniversary was last year. And I thought it DisneyLAND's 50th." Anniversaries make for a convenient and relatively no-brainer way of marketing. I suppose you can't blame Disney, because it seems to increase attendance. But sometimes I think it would be cool to see something a little more original. Next thing you know, we'll be seeing anniversary celebrations for things like, "Animal Kingdom is 11 and a half years old. Come celebrate!"

speck76

darthjohnny said:

The celebrations are nothing more than marketing.

Some celebrations are broad (20th, 25th, 50th, Walt's 100th, Millenium), while others are targeted (Magical Gatherings).....but they are just marketing campaigns designed to get more people to the parks.

I personally do not think Epcot's 25, DAK's 10th, or MGM's 20th will be major celebrations....WDW has never celebrated a single park's birthday before, only the birthday of the entire resort.

RU42

darthjohnny said:

Then add to that, Walt's key dates and Mickey's key dates.

I think Speck is right - probably not much on AK 10 or MGM 20. I think maybe a little more might be done about Epcot 25 - - maybe.

RU

Di$ney

In addition to the "celebrations" being marketing ploys, they also start them early and end them late just to get a bit more out of them. For instance, if 2005 is the 50th Anniversary of DisneyLand, then they will begin the "celebration" in the last quarter of 2004 and push it through to the first quarter (or more) of 2006.

I guess it makes folks feel special when they can say "I was there for Mickey's/Donald's/DisneyLand's/WDW's/Walt's/etc birthday!"

Doesn't it suck when you grow up and realize that everything is basically a money making scheme?

Sigh.

-Billy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom