News Disney After Hours Events expands to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom

potzie

The photo you didnt post? Not saying you were not in the park at 6:30, but lets face it, you got in 30 minutes early and wait times for attractions were most likely the same as they had been throughout the day. Score! You really showed Disney whose boss!
The person I was replying to said you can not enter before 7pm and I was saying otherwise. I wasn't replying to you and I never implied that I showed Disney that I was the boss. Thank's for coming out though buddy. You really put me in my place. Have a magical day.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Wasn't there ever a time where EMHs were offered freely to those who stayed on property?...
There's still an evening EMH once a week.
Wrong, there absolutely is a reason to call people those things. Those people willing to do this crap are what propels Disney to have the cajones to keep thinking of ways to upcharge for crap that used to be a perk.
I believe insulting people violates forum rules. Can we all be civil? Reasonable people can disagree on this. I personally have no problem with Disney's upcharges...

JohnD

I attended the MK After Hours with my wife and our niece in July. I have no idea if it was a sold out night or not but it was definitely not the "ride 7DMT back to back" or "park is empty" scenarios people describe. We did have a good time and were able to get on many attractions with short wait times but 7DMT and Space Mountain (only had one side open) were both 20 minute waits still. Not complaining, just sharing our experience. Overall we felt it was worth the cost, but it felt short. If they added an extra hour, it would be great.

One thing we noticed was the lack of Disney getting people out of the park who did not pay for the event. We saw entire families well into the night without the lanyards (they give you for I.D. purposes) trying to get in line for attractions. The CM's would not let them in line, but there was no enforcement for them to leave. They would just wander off.

You're right. 20 minute waits for a ride that could have a 120 minute wait or longer is not worth complaining about. For those rides, I'd call 20 minutes a short wait time. As for regular park guests still in the park, why would they want to force them out? If they can't ride the rides, they can still spend money. Personally, I wouldn't spend $125 for three hours when a one day pass for 8 or more hours is less than that. But that's just me.

disneyflush

Name calling is really silly and juvenile. If you want to be mad at someone get mad at Disney for providing the option; not the people willing to pay for event.

Internet forums for just about anything commercial, as in, Disney, cars, guitars, etc.... all have this repeating echo about "fools and their money..." and yet, all of these supposed "fools" I've met that can afford the after hours event, the fancy special edition sports car, or the vintage guitar/amp.....are all actually really damn smart; which is how they got the $$$ in the first place. And, yet, jealousy seems to make anonymous keyboard ninjas on internet forums label these folks "fools" and "rubes" to make them feel better about themselves.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Silly points. People going to Disney nowadays can all afford to buy the tickets. They are either wealthy enough or credit rich enough to do so. It certainly does not make them 'really dam smart'. If you truly think jealousy fuels the people on here (specifically Dray) you have missed the boat long ago. More cliches please.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Name calling is really silly and juvenile. If you want to be mad at someone get mad at Disney for providing the option; not the people willing to pay for event.

Internet forums for just about anything commercial, as in, Disney, cars, guitars, etc.... all have this repeating echo about "fools and their money..." and yet, all of these supposed "fools" I've met that can afford the after hours event, the fancy special edition sports car, or the vintage guitar/amp.....are all actually really damn smart; which is how they got the $$$ in the first place. And, yet, jealousy seems to make anonymous keyboard ninjas on internet forums label these folks "fools" and "rubes" to make them feel better about themselves.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

No, it's called having visited WDW for almost 40 years and thus having a front-row seat to the decline of said theme parks since 2005 and the constant, continual monetization of things that used to be included, while raising prices FAR in excess of even the manipulated rate of inflation and providing less value for the money spent. There is still fun had when visiting WDW, but the up-charges and hard tickets and extra cost to things which used to be included really grates on you after a decade... I don't "feel better" saying that, I'm trying to wake people up to reality. And I say the exact same thing to people face-to-face.

And one does not have to be "really damn smart" to have any of those things. If I have to provide examples, it's already beyond your grasp.

mikejs78

Premium Member
No, it's called having visited WDW for almost 40 years and thus having a front-row seat to the decline of said theme parks since 2005 and the constant, continual monetization of things that used to be included, while raising prices FAR in excess of even the manipulated rate of inflation and providing less value for the money spent. There is still fun had when visiting WDW, but the up-charges and hard tickets and extra cost to things which used to be included really grates on you after a decade... I don't "feel better" saying that, I'm trying to wake people up to reality. And I say the exact same thing to people face-to-face.

And one does not have to be "really damn smart" to have any of those things. If I have to provide examples, it's already beyond your grasp.
That's fine. It's also very different from insulting people who disagree with you.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The person I was replying to said you can not enter before 7pm and I was saying otherwise. I wasn't replying to you and I never implied that I showed Disney that I was the boss. That's for coming out though buddy. You really put me in my place. Have a magical day.
Still no photo? And technically, you are not supposed to enter before 7. If you were allowed in before 7, great. But that doesn't mean it will happen for everybody.

Wendy Pleakley

We've been 18 times in 10 years. We've been AP holders for about half of that time. We do at least 2 Halloween parties per Fall trip, usually 3. We have the money. It's not jealousy, it's astonishment that people will pay for stuff that used to be included. And as for being a "keyboard ninja", I'm hardly that. I'll say the same thing to people's faces that I will online.

There was a time when the parks didn't close early to host Halloween parties. There was a time when Christmas offerings were not exclusive to up-charge parties.

The point being, there are people who would call you a rube as well for attending Halloween parties.

We can criticize the decisions being made by Disney without putting down people who find value in them.

Do I always like the current approach of paid extra hours and constant up-sells? Not really, but I also completely understand why people happily pay $125 to spend three hours in an almost empty theme park. It's fun to run around a park and do whatever you want whenever you want.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There was also a time where they occurred more than one time a week, were 3 hours in length, and frequently extended into the AM hours.
Magic Kingdom, literally THIS SATURDAY, has EMH until 1am.

There was also a time when "EMH" meant "extra magic hour." Hour, singular.

Over the last year, we've seen long stretches where Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom were offering EMH every single day, in addition to regularly scheduled EMH at the other parks. So spare me the sob stories. I think the After Hours events are a tremendous waste of money as well, but it doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever so I'm not going to have a tantrum about it.

The Pho

I attended the MK After Hours with my wife and our niece in July. I have no idea if it was a sold out night or not but it was definitely not the "ride 7DMT back to back" or "park is empty" scenarios people describe. We did have a good time and were able to get on many attractions with short wait times but 7DMT and Space Mountain (only had one side open) were both 20 minute waits still. Not complaining, just sharing our experience. Overall we felt it was worth the cost, but it felt short. If they added an extra hour, it would be great.

One thing we noticed was the lack of Disney getting people out of the park who did not pay for the event. We saw entire families well into the night without the lanyards (they give you for I.D. purposes) trying to get in line for attractions. The CM's would not let them in line, but there was no enforcement for them to leave. They would just wander off.

We did two of the parties in July and Space was pretty much walk on for us, we didn't even have to go around to get on again, but both tracks were open. Think we did it about 15-20 times one of the nights. But Mine Train definitely had a small wait both nights, but much better than normal.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Hey, why engage in a debate, just post a picture, high-five yourself, and think you've won. Moving on...

We always wondered how they managed to have MK EMH's until 1/2/3am but yet have everything inspected and ready to go by 8am the next morning. You'd often run into sweepers and power washers in the streets, but ride inspections? Still wonder how they pulled it off. (or did they...) :cautious:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Up until around 2012 during peak season there where up to 3 evenving EMH hours per week where you could be in the park till 3 am. This does not happen anymore. Period.
Bull. Yes, evening EMH went until 3am at MK occasionally but it sure as heck wasn't standard at DHS or Epcot.

Sunday, July 3, 2011 - MK 12a-3a
Monday, July 4, 2011 - DAK, 8a-9a, DHS 10p-1a
Tuesday, July 5, 2011 - MK 8a-9a, Epcot 9p-12a
Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - DAK 8a-9a
Thursday, July 7, 2011 - MK 8a-9a
Friday, July 8, 2011 - Epcot 8a-9a, MK 12a-3a
Saturday, July 9, 2011 - DHS 8a-9a

18 EMH hours over ten "sessions" total

Sunday, July 1, 2018 - DHS 7a-8a
Monday, July 2, 2018 - Epcot 9p-11p, DHS 7a-8a
Tuesday, July 3, 2018 - MK 12a-2a, DHS 7a-8a
Wednesday, July 4, 2018 - DHS 7a-8a, DAK 8a-9a
Thursday, July 5, 2018 - Epcot 8a-9a, DHS 7a-8a
Friday, July 6, 2018 - MK 8a-9a, DHS 7a-8a, DHS 10:30p-12:30a
Saturday, July 7, 2018 - DHS 7a-8a, DAK 8a-9a

17 EMH hours over fourteen "sessions" total

So total EMH was almost exactly the same in 2018 as it was in 2011, PLUS Hollywood Studios opened to regular guests at 8am every day versus 9am in 2011 for an additional 7 hours.

So spare me "muh budget cuts." Facts don't care about your Narrative (TM).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom