News Disney After Hours Events expands to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There are still a few free evening Extra Magic Hours for guests staying on-site, MK has one this Saturday from 11pm-1am. But apparently TDO think there are enough rubes willing to fork over $125/person for 3 hours in half-day parks but with free soda, ice cream, and popcorn to make this a thing? At MK, you'd end up doing rides for 3 hours (otherwise what's the point?), so you're just paying more than the cost of a 1-day ticket (for now) to do rides for 3 hours. I just cannot fathom how anyone could look at this and think it's a good deal, but to each his own. A fool and their money are soon parted.

Dad 2 M & M

Has anyone tried one of these events? I've heard nothing but good things about it so far but was curious if anyone else had an opinion.
We have taken in three and are going in December....now we'll probably hit the DHS December date + a MVMCP.

The After Hours are great and worth every cent!! Only rides that have any waits are Peter Pan, and Seven Dwarfs. Photo ops galore in the empty park!!

Much-Pixie-Dust

There are still a few free evening Extra Magic Hours for guests staying on-site, MK has one this Saturday from 11pm-1am. But apparently TDO think there are enough rubes willing to fork over $125/person for 3 hours in half-day parks but with free soda, ice cream, and popcorn to make this a thing? At MK, you'd end up doing rides for 3 hours (otherwise what's the point?), so you're just paying more than the cost of a 1-day ticket (for now) to do rides for 3 hours. I just cannot fathom how anyone could look at this and think it's a good deal, but to each his own. A fool and their money are soon parted.
I don’t consider myself a rube or a fool and I do find value in the MK after hours. First, it’s not just three hours. I go in at about 6 and stay until 1, which is longer than I would stay on a regular day ticket at a park. I don’t find value in spending time in a park from open to close. Second, there are so many fewer people, including less screaming kids and entire families sharing one EVC. My longest line has been a 10 minute wait for SDMT and one of the nights I went was sold out. Third, I have great pics with nobody in them. Is it fun to be the only family on a ride? Yes it is! Lastly, for my family, time is money and this offering allows us to maximize our time at DW.

You are right, to each his own. If you don’t like it, then don’t go, but no need to call somebody a rube or a fool because they find value in it.

Tony the Tigger

OK. First, to the person/people who have been saying WDW would eventually be selling the parks for 3 shifts per day - I guess we’re almost there.

But - we have a bday in the family on 12/3. I was leaning “no” on a Disney trip this time.

One of our favorite things to do was go on rides at MK at night while everyone else was watching parades and fireworks, with extremely short lines. That doesn’t work so much these days. EMH are to be avoided now. They’re worse than regular park nights in our experience.

So with park tix already covered (AP) and the date happening to fall on just the right day, I’m reconsidering going and including this as an extra bday splurge - probably one and done. (Also, the bday boy is a popcorn addict.)

OTOH, the $190 would cover a nice Jiko dinner.

Thinking it over...

Dad 2 M & M

I don’t consider myself a rube or a fool and I do find value in the MK after hours. First, it’s not just three hours. I go in at about 6 and stay until 1, which is longer than I would stay on a regular day ticket at a park. I don’t find value in spending time in a park from open to close. Second, there are so many fewer people, including less screaming kids and entire families sharing one EVC. My longest line has been a 10 minute wait for SDMT and one of the nights I went was sold out. Third, I have great pics with nobody in them. Is it fun to be the only family on a ride? Yes it is! Lastly, for my family, time is money and this offering allows us to maximize our time at DW.

You are right, to each his own. If you don’t like it, then don’t go, but no need to call somebody a rube or a fool because they find value in it.
Well done!
OK. First, to the person/people who have been saying WDW would eventually be selling the parks for 3 shifts per day - I guess we’re almost there.

But - we have a bday in the family on 12/3. I was leaning “no” on a Disney trip this time.

One of our favorite things to do was go on rides at MK at night while everyone else was watching parades and fireworks, with extremely short lines. That doesn’t work so much these days. EMH are to be avoided now. They’re worse than regular park nights in our experience.

So with park tix already covered (AP) and the date happening to fall on just the right day, I’m reconsidering going and including this as an extra bday splurge - probably one and done. (Also, the bday boy is a popcorn addict.)

OTOH, the $190 would cover a nice Jiko dinner.

Thinking it over...
How does it ever get back to those short lines during parades? Wow those times were great and greatly missed. Same thing with the EMEs.....so crowded now!! Can't even get INSIDE Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, much less ride rides. I hope you decide to go to the After Hours as it IS great.
So, I guess we know why DAK's hours were just cut back so much...................
Many were surprised when the DAK started staying open late....initially they said the parks wouldn't stay open after 6....

threvester

You cannot enter the park before 7 PM

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I attended the MK After Hours with my wife and our niece in July. I have no idea if it was a sold out night or not but it was definitely not the "ride 7DMT back to back" or "park is empty" scenarios people describe. We did have a good time and were able to get on many attractions with short wait times but 7DMT and Space Mountain (only had one side open) were both 20 minute waits still. Not complaining, just sharing our experience. Overall we felt it was worth the cost, but it felt short. If they added an extra hour, it would be great.

One thing we noticed was the lack of Disney getting people out of the park who did not pay for the event. We saw entire families well into the night without the lanyards (they give you for I.D. purposes) trying to get in line for attractions. The CM's would not let them in line, but there was no enforcement for them to leave. They would just wander off.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And what happened to those soft crowds this Fall? Parks have been slammed recently
The (unusual) dip in attendance was very real. The (continuing) cut backs and price increases are the Disney executives "solutions" to the problem. When the kiosks in the parks have only one CM serving beverages/food it causes a line to form which gives the appearance that its "slammed". When Pecos Bill has 10 registers but only 4 are open, lines get long. Same for the attractions when they are understaffed or only operating one side. Wait times go up. High wait times and long lines are no metric to judge actual attendance numbers by.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I guess my photo of me in the park at 6:30pm in July must be "fake news".
The photo you didnt post? Not saying you were not in the park at 6:30, but lets face it, you got in 30 minutes early and wait times for attractions were most likely the same as they had been throughout the day. Score! You really showed Disney whose boss!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom