Disney after back surgery?

J_Krafty24

I'm so excited. After a rough summer of back pain, back surgery and recovery with none of our planned vacations or trips to the local amusement parks my husband suggested a trip to Disney this winter.
The visit will be about 7 months after surgery and I will check with my doctor for general guidelines for rides (obviously no bumpy rollercoasters and no dinosaur). Can anyone who has been to the parks after back surgery give me any suggestions or tips? Any rides that look like they would be ok but have hidden dangers? Before surgery my surgeon said I would be fine for any but the most bumpy rollercoasters by next summer so hopefully he will clear me for smooth coasters by my trip.

I'm not sure if the type of surgery you had but I visited one year 2 months out from spinal fusion surgery and it was way to soon. Not just for my back but just my stamina. It can really take awhile to bounce back regain endurance ect. The next year we went though i was so much better...I did at timesneed an occasional pain pill at the end of a long day butnot every night. I rode everythi g including the coasters.That being said if you are going 7 months out and don't have complications you will be in better shape. Make sure you keep up with your physical therapy before the trip, it will really help you build up your strength. You will def. Need to take more breaks which was something I def didn't anticipate. Take some icy hot patches with you to the park, they are a big help and I packed my heat g pad and a couple snap and use ice packs in my case for the room. The trip will de finally give you motivation to keep up with your recovery plan!

Upvote 0

Ben_since_1971

I had a Laminectomy and an L4-L5 fusion last July 28 (2014). My surgeon used a minimally invasive procedure so I think that helped. I went to WDW last December and rode EVERYTHING. Played golf, walked everywhere - no problems. I just made sure that I tried to secure myself into seats on like RnR, SM, etc., but that may have been more psychological. I had forgotten what going to WDW without pain was like.

If I were to offer a warning, stay away from Space Mountain and Dinosaur. Those two rides can really jerk you around. As much as I love SM, that did the most damage to me pre-surgery. All the other rides I had no problems with. RnR, ToT, even BTM - no problems. Everest was fine. Primeval Whirl could cause issues as it also tosses you around a bit.

That all said - I don't know what type of surgery you had, so YMMV. Please listen to your doctor. And please listen to your body. You may feel great, push it just a leeeetle too far, and you are down. That happened to me this summer. Pushed the gardening too much and tweaked something in my lower back. Was hurting for a month. I have learned. When my body barks, I listen.

With proper care and planning, you should be able to have an awesome time - good luck!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

My Dad went two months after major back surgery I don't know what all it entailed but I know he has a metal rod more than halfway up his back and it was so complicated they had to go in both from the front (had to move organs out of way, yucky!) and from his back. He does have to use a scooter because of all the walking, he finds he can ride star tours just fine, he road Dinosaur last year but he took ta cushion and put it behind him in the seat and this was 14 months after his first back surgery and 7 months after his second back surgery ( the second surgery was less severe). He rode 7DMT with no issues, but BTMR and Rockin Roller Coaster are out, also Tower of Terror due to the fact that you drop and it jars your back also no Test tack due to the sudden stops.

Upvote 0

J_Krafty24

Original Poster
Thanks all. I had a large bulge on L4-L5 that was removed. I will defenatly be following the instructions from my Doc. Even though surgery and recovery was way easier than i was expecting I never want to go through that again.

I figure most of the attractions at Disney are pretty smooth and I can handle. Going to skip Universal this year with all those bumpy simulators.

It has been a few years since my last trip but these are the rides I am most concerned about:

Tower of Terror - even though there are + and - forces I seem to remember it being pretty smooth and pretty tame compared to other drop towers I have been on.

Rock n Roller Coaster - I love this ride. I remember it being very smooth and think it will be ok if I am cleared for coasters.

Star Tours

Safari - Should I be worried about the bumpy road?

7DMT - This would be a new coaster for me if I can go on it. Is it smooth?

I am fine skipping all the other coasters, Splash, Dinosaur and If I have to Splash Mountian.

I would hate to have to skip Test Track because it is the only big thrill ride my husband really likes but if I have to so be it.

Am I missing any rides I need to be wary of?

I am so looking forward to having a fun trip after spending most of the summer in bed reading and watching tv.

Upvote 0

Ben_since_1971

If my L4-L5 experience is any indication, you should be fine. I had no issues with any of the rides you mention. The safari was bumpy, but not really jarring. Splash Mtn is fine. 7DMT was ok. As I said earlier, I just tried to ensure I was seated well into the seat with my lumbar region properly supported. Easier on RnR than ToT, but nothing that I wasn't too terribly concerned about. Star Tours I was fine with. Depending on how you do, I would ride some of the 'tamer' rides first, then see how you do on Star Tours. If the mild bouncing of Star Tours doesn't bother you, then you could try Dinosaur. The only problem I have with Space Mtn is that it is so old school technology it is just a really rough ride for me. I love it to death, but it does do a number. That said, I did ride it more than once last December.

Test Track - fire away - no issues whatsoever.

My only advice is just to make sure you give your lower back proper support while in the ride vehicle. Don't worry about slipping and sliding - it's going to happen. Just have ibuprofen or your pain reliever of choice at the ready and semi-expect to ice your lower back when you get back to your resort.

Have fun!!!

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

The only problem with TOT is you tend to come up out of your seat a bit then you fall back into it which jars your back, you would probably be ok, I just said no for my dad because of the jarring.

Upvote 0

smk

going thru PT right now for L4-L5 issues, a fusion is in the works if this does not work. I had a L5-S1 discetomy years and years ago and was fine after that. SOOOO much pain before and then after it was all gone! I also have a thoracic 9 compression fracture and two pelvis fractures. No accident, just osteoporosis from an auto immune disorder that I developed last year and have been on high dose steroids for 16 months to treat. I am a mess! I mentioned a longish car ride to the neurosurgeon and he basically looked at me like I was crazy, so I did not push further. I want to go on our fall trip as planned but reality is that I don;t think we will make it. I would go and ride nothing, just sit in my scooter and people watch! I don't know that I can get away with it. IF we cancel I have made my husband swear we can go in the winter, or as soon as I can. I am so sad.

Upvote 0

Tinkeroo

For Safari, I ask to be allocated in any row other than the back row... it just jars a little too much and is very uncomfortable. I had a cervical discectomy, and ride all rides now.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom