Disney $5 Photos!

Disney4648

Original Poster
I read in another thread that if you take pictures of stuff that disney thinks is not allowed, they take your film away and give you $5...is this true and what would be an example of a "prohibited" photo?

DisJosh

Ummmmm lol well I don't think it's common practice but I heard it happened when there was a monorail accident. People were snapping lots of shots and supposedly Disneys version of the men in black came and confiscated film and paid the guests the money for new film. lol :D

Disney4648

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisJosh
Ummmmm lol well I don't think it's common practice but I heard it happened when there was a monorail accident. People were snapping lots of shots and supposedly Disneys version of the men in black came and confiscated film and paid the guests the money for new film. lol :D

If that was me... I would run and laugh! Then develop the pics at the nearest wal-mart! haha! DOes disney really have the power to take your film?:confused:

DisJosh

I'm not sure if they really can...

I know alot of us use digital cams nowadays though...anyone cought trying to take my 60 dollar memory cards would be smacked up side the head.! :D

9-Eye

Stay away from MY film

Disney employees do not have the right to take away your film (or any other personal property for that matter.)

Disney employees do have the right to forcefully ask (demand) that you give them your film in exchange for ($5 was the example given.)

See the difference?

(Specific) Disney employees have the right to make you leave the park/property, or deny you admission.

The point here is, being on Disney property does not suddenly grant others the right to act - in manners that would otherwise be considered - against public policy.

Say you're at the MK and you see medics placing a man onto a stretcher on Main Street (which is something I actually witnessed a couple months ago.) Go ahead and take as many pictures as you'd like. If it were me, I would try to "hide" myself just to avoid possible crap from CMs. If you are approached and asked for your film, just say, "No." They may become verbally forcefull, spitting threats of this and that, but it's still your film, and what you do with it is up to you. If they so much as lay a finger on you, become very conscious of their actions from that point on, as you may be asked to restate the facts in a court of law should you feel compelled to bring a suit against them. Okay, maybe that's getting a bit carried away, but you get the point.

Aside from pictures of a "monorail crash," consider the fact that there are most likely other pictures on your same roll of film. So not only is it your personal property, but it's your intellectual property as well (pictures,) over which you automatically own the copyright. Do you really think it's fine and dandy for someone to come up and take that away from you? Of course not.

The only instance in which it might be okay for someone to comfiscate your film is if specific signs are posted that absolutely no photography is allowed, such as in airports, military institutions, Broadway shows, etc.

Did you know that, although many paid-parking garages disclaim liability for destruction to your vehicle, they ARE in fact liable if such an act occurs. Why? Two words: Public Policy. Of course, many people don't know that, so when the attendant/manager points to the "We are not responsible" wording on your ticket, most people get ticked off and go away. Are most parking attendants schooled in the law? Probably not. The fact that they can use such persuasive wording is lucky for them but unfortunate for the uninformed.

Back to the film issue,

Say you just don't want to deal with being approached in the first place. If you take pictures in "risky" situations, you run the risk of being approached. But there are 'creative' way to deal with this. As someone who takes 'lots' of pictures, I "protect" myself in a couple ways. For example: If you use a disposable camera, keep more than one on you, and never use the extra. We'll call this the Dummy camera. Heck, it doesn't even have to have film in it. Just ask your photo lab to return the camera to you the next time you get one processed. Make sure you mark this camera so you know it's the Dummy. Okay, so you're standing on Main Street watching the parade, and Alice falls off the mushroom. Take pictures, lots of 'em. Once you've got enough pictures - or some CM comes walking in your direction, place the camera in your pocket, and quickly remove the Dummy. If you're with a friend/family, this is a rediculously 'easy' task, and you need not be a magician to pull it off.

When they ask you for your Dummy camera, say no. Don't just give it to them (even though you could and lose nothing), because then you wouldn't have a story for all of us to hear on this message board! So, continue to resist and see how serious their threats get. This should be fun for you considering that they're asking you for a camera which does not actually contain film. Finally, go ahead and give in (unless they give up first.) Distracting the CM for this long served two purposes. 1) It gives you a great story to share with all of us, and, 2) while they are arguing with you, tons of other people around you got the chance to take their own pictures.

There are other ways in which one could make them think they got their way when in fact all they got was a Dummy. I must keep some of them to myself, although I am sure you could creatively come up with some of your own.

One of my favorite stories to tell is of a personal experience at a concert. I videotaped the band's entire set, expecting to be approached at some point and asked to stop. (Thus I was prepared.) Sure enough, a rather large male came up and said he'd need the videotape from my camera. Although I argued a little, I didn't want to carry it out for too long as this was a club-type of environment, in which public policy is sometimes ignored ...I also wanted to finish watching the concert, and didn't want to be forced to leave. So, I ejected the tape from my camera and handed it to him. The only thing that ticked me was the Dummy (DV tapes) cost about $7 each. I just wish I could have seen their faces if they ever tried to watch that tape. Let's just say, I hope they enjoy old TV shows.

9-Eye

P.S.

Ironically, the type of 35mm film that I shoot with costs more than $5 per roll. So the $5 "reimbursement" would in itself be invalid. :brick:

Disney4648,

To answer your question, the best example of a "prohibited" photo is one that is "prohibited" ahead of time. Laws cannot be retroactive. Flag burning was legal for as long as it took them to enact laws against it. And the existence of laws now does not allow us to punish those who did it before the laws were passed.

Pioneer Hall

They may have a right to take your film, you are on their Private Property. So they may have the right to do it. You are in their House.

Buzzforprez

The only time that they can forcibly take your pics would be if you took pics in an area which was signed as prohibited, as in the backstage tour. Here copyright restrictions come into play and they could arrest or have you arrested for this violation. They do have the right to exclude you from entry or reject you for valid reasons. My guess is that they rarely let it come to this unless you make a big scene at which time you can be arrested for disorderly conduct. I don't believe that they are trying to harm anyone with their actions. They are merely trying to keep their image wholesome. If you are the type that want to see the "dirt" on Disney then maybe you shouldn't be going there. Also who would want to be treated for a medical emergency and have tourists taking pics. Some common courtesy here people. Would you like it done to you?

Disney4648

Original Poster
9-eye, if they ask you for your film, can you demand a larger settlement( ie $50) in exchange for a dummy? Like you give them the dummy and they give u $50 instead of $5..???

And im sure $50 is no problem to them when they can loose $100,000s in the news media... :)

9-Eye

Nope

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
They may have a right to take your film, you are on their Private Property. So they may have the right to do it. You are in their House.

This is incorrect. Other than the valid exceptions - such as stated by Buzzforprez (copyright violation - good job Buzz,) being in someone's "house" does not necessarily permit them to control your personal property. Being in their "house," though, may place restrictions on your ability to publish said photos. Disney parks, however, are far from houses, in that expectations of privacy are, well, nonexistent. And that's why so much litigation from the Girls Gone Wild videos have arose. How much privacy do you expect on Burbon Street during Mardi Gras?:lookaroun

Buzz, as to whether I would like it "done to me," well, to say "no" would basically disagree with the valid news media. Fact of the matter is, accidents, tragedies, train derails, etc. are all considered to be "newsworthy." If a person is injured on Disney property, however unfortunate that event may be, it's definitely newsworthy. In fact, many Orlando residents are familiar with local news footage from accidents, injuries, or other events that take place on WDW property. It's not uncommon. And does WDW really want this type of publicity from within their own "house"? Of course not. But we have to ask ourselves what the law states, and not what the personal desires of the organization are.

Disney4648,

It would be interesting to demand a higher value (say $50) for your film. But your question actually raises numerous issues. Say I, as a professional photographer, had images on the first half of my roll of film that I took as part of my job. Say the value of those images which are to be used for magazine print is $500. Obvious issues arise. Also, a digital media card, as mentioned earlier, is very expensive as well. Assuming that Disney actually has the right to comfiscate your film/media in a situation (which as I discussed is extremely rare), they must reimburse you with a "fare" value/amount for the media. What is a "fare" amount? Well, that is ultimately determined by the courts (assuming the parties cannot agree to an amount.)

So, my comment is: Do not allow anyone to touch your film. Do not, however, become "disorderly," threatening or violent. Simply state that they will only get the film - after you recieve the court order to do so. Tell them you'll wait for it in the mail, and walk away.

9-Eye

NowInc

They do not have the right to confiscate the film...even if you are compensated...

they COULD however offer you cash in exchange for the roll..but in no way would they be able to force you to do it...

And now with the popularity of Digital film.....well..I wont even finish this sentence...its pretty obvious what they CANT do...

9-Eye

Originally posted by NowInc
They do not have the right to confiscate the film...even if you are compensated...

they COULD however offer you cash in exchange for the roll..but in no way would they be able to force you to do it...

NowInc,

Good call! I think the main problem is - if I didn't make this clear - CM's forceably "ask" for the exchange. Although this may come off more as a demand than a request, most guests don't know any better, and that ticks me off. People need to understand their rights. Taking advantage of the uninformed is one of my pet peeves. Particularly when it comes to film - which contains numerous memories which are priceless to the owner.

9-Eye

AdLibSean

Re: Stay away from MY film

Originally posted by 9-Eye

When they ask you for your Dummy camera, say no. Don't just give it to them (even though you could and lose nothing), because then you wouldn't have a story for all of us to hear on this message board! So, continue to resist and see how serious their threats get. This should be fun for you considering that they're asking you for a camera which does not actually contain film. Finally, go ahead and give in (unless they give up first.) Distracting the CM for this long served two purposes. 1) It gives you a great story to share with all of us, and, 2) while they are arguing with you, tons of other people around you got the chance to take their own pictures.
I'm sorry, but does anyone else totally disagree with this? I'm not out to make enemies on the board, I really am not, but I don't find this amusing at all. I've been provoked before where I work and I can tell you from experience its just not fun. When a customer doesn't cooperate, just for the sake of being difficult, ITS NOT FUN, especially for a Castmember. Just give them the stupid film! While it might illegal for them to take it from you, honestly do you really want pictures of a man on a stretcher in the middle of Main Street?? Oh and speaking for myself and possibly others, I wouldn't enjoy reading about something like that on the board. It's people who would do something like that, that make WDW a little less magical.

Erika

Re: Re: Stay away from MY film

Originally posted by AdLibSean

I'm sorry, but does anyone else totally disagree with this? .

I wouldn't make a scene, but no way would I turn over my film. I'm not saying I would take a picture of a guy on a stretcher, but if something big happened while I was there, I'm sure I would take some shots (for myself, not for the media). When the vacation is over, the pictures are all I have. They're better than any souvenir. Any roll of film in my camera is likely to have personal photos on there and I shouldn't have to give those away.

Dwarful

It would have to be way more than $5.00 because I dont think you could get a roll of 12 exposure film for $5.00 anywhere at Disney!

9-Eye

Re: Re: Stay away from MY film

Originally posted by AdLibSean

I'm sorry, but does anyone else totally disagree with this? When a customer doesn't cooperate, just for the sake of being difficult, ITS NOT FUN, especially for a Castmember. Just give them the stupid film! While it might illegal for them to take it from you, honestly do you really want pictures of a man on a stretcher in the middle of Main Street??

AdlibSean,

I didn't suggest not cooperating "just for the sake of being difficult," I suggested not cooperating in order to maintain their rights and personal property. My suggestion to "give in" is only meant as an action of last resort - and only if the guest loses nothing (or a Dummy) in doing so.

It may not be "fun" for the CM, but I promise you this: a guest losing pictures from a roll of film which may include pictures from grandpa's birthday party 3 months ago before he passed away, IS A LOT LESS FUN. It's not unusual for people to have film in their cameras that contain priceless pictures from other events in their past.

Do I really want pictures of a man on a stretcher in the middle of Main Street? Maybe, and maybe not. It was an example, an nothing more. It's the first thing that came to mind - because it's one of the only experiences I personally have of seeing something "unfortunate" on WDW property. But what I DO want pictures of are what is already on the film (obviously), and giving that up is simply not an option.

Again, with the stretcher example, although people may or may not wish to take pictures, it's certainly considered "newsworthy" as anyone who watches their local news will attest to. Is it possible to watch a half hour of news without seeing someone on a stretcher? Not in Orlando. And because "newsworthyness" is one of the issues I wanted to address, the stretcher scenario was an appropriate example.

What people want pictures of is up to the individual.
Some people like to watch "Trauma - True Life in the ER," whereas some people do not. That does not make one person right and the other wrong.

9-Eye

AdLibSean

Neither here nor there...

Let me bring my post to a point. You used the exact words that "This should be fun...." Blah blah... No, it SHOULDN'T BE. The whole scenario thing is irrelevant and I'm not going to argue the particulars with you, I really won't. All the CM is doing, is doing their job. You are making it harder for them. I totally agree that they can't take your film, but you ARE being difficult when you put it in a way as to say "This should be fun."

Chernabog

Re: Stay away from MY film

Originally posted by 9-Eye

I would like to point out here that it was stated that this should be fun and that you should do it to share stories with others. Neither of these has anything to do with your "precious memories" of your grandfather's birthday party or anything else. If you want these pictures so bad then give the dummy camera away. As stated, you're not losing anything. You're actually making someone else's life alot harder for no reason since there isn't any real film in the camera anyway. Why cause problems for no reason? It's Disney World for cryin' out loud, be happy and enjoy life, don't make someone else's harder for them.:(

I'm not trying to be mean or make enemies, just callin' what I see. Hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings. I'll be quite now.:zipit:

Disney4648

Original Poster
Let me get my opinion in here.....the Cats Members deal with this stuff alot and are trained to work with guests, even those that complain and dpeak a froeign language...now they dont have any right to take you film and they shouldnt...and it wouldnt make thier day any worse becuase each day isnt as magical in wdw becuase they work there and im sure it gets really boring for them. There not going to go home and cry becuase they argued with a guest, but the guest may do so if he gives away his film...

Get my point..... 9-eye is right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom