Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2022 Earnings Results Webcast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why are people talking about Disney being bought out? This is the literal worst time in modern history for a large company to buy another large company. The cost to borrow is astronomically higher than just a year ago. And no it doesn't matter how much cash they have on hand, no company burns through their cash reserve to purchase another company.
White Knight fantasy.

They want Apple to buy Disney. And then be forced into getting rid of their Magic Bands (+) and be forced to use an Apple Watch to access anything in the parks.

Casper Gutman

What you’re describing is deep space nine
Head writer? Ronald D Moore.

And battlestar galactica
Executive producer? Ronald D Moore

You know who I’ve said a dozen times should head LFL?

…forgot the dudes name
I'm confused. What I'm describing is Andor, written by Oscar nominee Tony Gilroy and executive produced by Kathleen Kennedy (among others). What does that have to do with a guy involved with two less well written and directed shows?

CaptainAmerica

Andor is one of the best written and directed shows that aired this year. It’s not just excellent Star Wars, it’s excellent television. I strongly disliked Rogue One and think Andor is spectacular. You have a real issue with making baseless, incredibly sweeping pronouncements.
"Andor was bad" and "Andor was unpopular" are two different things, and one of them matters a lot more than the other.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm confused. What I'm describing is Andor, written by Oscar nominee Tony Gilroy and executive produced by Kathleen Kennedy (among others). What does that have to do with a guy involved with two less well written and directed shows?
Star wars has been erratic…on a good day…and they’ve needed a change in direction on story since they decided reboots were the way to go…
Is what I’m saying. Kennedy is more of an administrative head than a creative force. That’s been proven at this point.

Still think they need a uniform story guy to wash the stench of kiri hart down the shower drain.

That’s all.

Gilroy is - however - a good person to have in the fold. He was basically the editor of rogue one…in the end. But his experience with particularly the bourne movies is the kinda edge that Star Wars needs. Bourne was produced by Frank Marshall…Kathy kennedy….you do the math…

LFL has - and I’ll admit - been “better” of late. Getting the new voices in is arrow up. But they still can’t make an f&$!ing movie to save their life. And that doesn’t work.

Star
Wars
!!

That’s why I always bring up Ron moore. Who knows how to write for nuanced characters.

Can’t hurt.

He can have Rian Johnson parking spot in the presidio (he’s right next to Kennedy’s…of course)

Ok…tangent over. Carry on.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
"Andor was bad" and "Andor was unpopular" are two different things, and one of them matters a lot more than the other.
And you've said both:

Nobody watched Andor. Rogue One was a fanboy's wet dream but the characters were entirely forgettable. It's a show nobody wanted or needed.

Cool, the streaming ratings say I'm right.

I'm known around these parts as a shill, apologist, pixie-duster. Andor is a flop.

And I posted proof you're wrong...
Are you being sarcastic? You're usually not one to just make stuff up.

There's been 1.5 Billion minutes watched of Andor as of the first 5 episodes and Nielsen tracking up to Oct 9.

Every week it made the top ten most streamed original streamer content.

Andor has been well received by critics and audience...

View attachment 677529

And yet you're doubling down on that?

Casper Gutman

Star wars has been erratic…on a good day…and they’ve needed a change in direction on story since they decided reboots were the way to go…
Is what I’m saying. Kennedy is more of an administrative head than a creative force. That’s been proven at this point.

Still think they need a uniform story guy to wash the stench of kiri hart down the shower drain.

That’s all.

Gilroy is - however - a good person to have in the fold. He was basically the editor of rogue one…in the end. But his experience with particularly the bourne movies is the kinda edge that Star Wars needs. Bourne was produced by Frank Marshall…Kathy kennedy….you do the math…

LFL has - and I’ll admit - been “better” of late. Getting the new voices in is arrow up. But they still can’t make an f&$!ing movie to save their life. And that doesn’t work.

Star
Wars
!!

That’s why I always bring up Ron moore. Who knows how to write for nuanced characters.

Can’t hurt.

He can have Rian Johnson parking spot in the presidio (he’s right next to Kennedy’s…of course)

Ok…tangent over. Carry on.
I’m really not going to agree with you that Moore is a more impressive creative force then Johnson. To each their own.

Star Wars didn’t need “edge,” it needed to be good. Andor is good, the edge is just a byproduct. If Disney decided all future Star Wars needed that same “edge,” it would be the wrong lesson to learn.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m really not going to agree with you that Moore is a more impressive creative force then Johnson. To each their own.

Star Wars didn’t need “edge,” it needed to be good. Andor is good, the edge is just a byproduct. If Disney decided all future Star Wars needed that same “edge,” it would be the wrong lesson to learn.
…well whatever route you want to take to get to not silly and disjointed…I’ll take it

You take the 5 and I’ll take 405

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cool, the streaming ratings say I'm right.

I'm known around these parts as a shill, apologist, pixie-duster. Andor is a flop.
It’s actually pretty good. And they bothered to make enough of it this time for character development. That’s always been the missing component with random characters dropped into movies via hasbro.

And the “mini series” are always on fast forward.

Storytelling takes time.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
No. I haven't. I didn't say a single word on the quality.
But you still haven't responded to your false claim that no ones watching it.

And when you said "streaming ratings," you weren't talking about ratings in the sense of rating it good or bad?

Those are not strong numbers.
LOL

Since we're only looking at quantity, what is so weak about being in the top ten for streamers every week?

Put up your proof backing your assertion.

brettf22

Premium Member

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I disliked Rogue One because to me it felt like it was trying to make Star Wars self-consciously “adult” but lacked the courage of its convictions. The result was colorless, with a cast of (as you said) largely uninteresting characters. Frustratingly, the film kept raising interesting issues regarding fascism and the morality of armed revolution and then dropping them.

Andor confronts those issues of fascism and revolution head-on and in depth. It arguably does so with more insight and intelligence then any other current TV show. Andor himself is still not particularly interesting, but the large cast around is fascinating and deep. It’s the “adult” Star Wars Rogue pretended to be (not that we needed “adult” Star Wars, but Andor makes it work).
It's like the Star Wars version of House of Cards...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Andor is going to grow over time. Unlike the other recent Disney+ Star Wars shows, Andor has a lot of good word of mouth.
It's been a phenomenal series thus far, fantastic acting and great storytelling. This might be Disney's crown jewel since acquiring Lucasfilms. I'd even rank it over The Mandorian which I love as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's been a phenomenal series thus far, fantastic acting and great storytelling. This might be Disney's crown jewel since acquiring Lucasfilms. I'd even rank it over The Mandorian which I love as well.
Mandalorian was 100% damage control. It was necessary but it limits it.

Yodas…mark hamills…prequel characters..

They had to do it to put the flames out in the abrams/Johnson dumpster.

Now maybe we can get to it? More OT genre stuff is wanted and will succeed (as paramount is moving towards with the sister franchise…to rave results (except one 😬)…

Let’s hope we’re turned tide?

Anyone is free to disagree and have the WRONG opinion 😎🫢

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom