News Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2021 Earnings Results Webcast

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Really?

Just a few months back I remember hearing that the banks were worried because so many consumers had paid off their debts and, while they still used credit cards, they paid them off each month.

That's in stark contrast to the US Government who: "...needs a credit increase so that they can pay their debts."
Oh yes. Credit card debt is rising again, and overall household debt is on a rocket ship upwards right now.

SpoiledBlueMilk

That actually means the amount of “free cash” is shrinking…and there’s more economic anxiety now than there were was from 2011-19

you might be misreading what that Debt story is suggesting this time. It’s different than the similar story 2
Years ago

the inflation index out today is the highest it’s been since the Bush recession…

the HW Bush one
I don't think we're getting the full measure on the economic anxiety out there. All the experts still think it's transitory inflation, but I have a gut feeling we're seeing the potential for long-term inflation and the people steering the ship don't see the iceberg.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think we're getting the full measure on the economic anxiety out there. All the experts still think it's transitory inflation, but I have a gut feeling we're seeing the potential for long-term inflation and the people steering the ship don't see the iceberg.
I agree…

not many read economics for fun (like I do)…but there’s a few things that have to shake loose soon…we were far overdue for a recession by modern standards…income gap is growing…the US has never pumped this level of liquid to flood/stabilized markets before…a housing bubble reminiscent (but not quite so bad) as the last one is expanding…

everyone seems to think the economy will “get a pass” because of the covid slowdowns…but that’s not really realistic. Uncharted territory here…full of bears…

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
…but that would interfere with a common narrative around here: that people are just itching to pay Disney - no matter the price.

the “sky” is limitless
Yep, as is the pool of rubes wiling to pay whatever price Di$ney wants to charge them for everything from tickets to food to overpriced crap made in Chinese sweatshops. According to some. Because… Magic! Memories! It’s worth it to me! ETA: Oh, and I find value in it! And it’s cheaper than going to a (insert professional sport) game! I love that one.

Christi22222

I don't know but the studios today was a complete mess, of course tomorrow is a holiday so that may be part of it but people are spending bigtime. It bothers me that so many stores in the park are still shuttered, now they want to cut on food portions but charge more? where does the line get drawn? At the rate its going and by the way they are talking dont doubt that eventually you will have to pay to use the restroom. It also upset me seeing families turned away when they wanted to order food and were outright told no by cast members, unless its mobile order. too much red tape, too complicated, no freedom in the parks anymore. Its terrible. chapek is going to be the end of disney, at least as we knew it and liked it.

I just got back from Disney. We did the Wine and Dine races. We have done 10 or so race weekends and have been to Disney - both coasts- many many times like everyone else on this board. It was awful. We literally had a terrible time. You nailed all the things we hated. Some visits in the past have made me grumpy about the direction of the parks, the blatant cash grabbing, the crowds, etc. But we always still had a good time, hence we kept going back. We did not have a good time. At all. I will not go back until (if?) things change drastically. Period.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just got back from Disney. We did the Wine and Dine races. We have done 10 or so race weekends and have been to Disney - both coasts- many many times like everyone else on this board. It was awful. We literally had a terrible time. You nailed all the things we hated. Some visits in the past have made me grumpy about the direction of the parks, the blatant cash grabbing, the crowds, etc. But we always still had a good time, hence we kept going back. We did not have a good time. At all. I will not go back until (if?) things change drastically. Period.
If you don’t mind my asking…any other specifics?

Christi22222

If you don’t mind my asking…any other specifics?
We went to AK on the Friday it poured. It's the worst park to be in during rain and we know that. But I didn't feel like screwing with getting a new "reservation" for a different park. Making one in the first place irked me. So we were freezing and wet and left by noon. Ordering food was a pain in the at best, and a nightmare at worst. We would spend forever on that stupid Genie app trying to get a damn "window" to just be able to order the food! We were hungry, and being told to wait a half hour just to oder the food was insulting. And we more than once had a window disappear as we tried to grab it. We attempted to get a sit down meal late in the day on Saturday (MK), only because we had had such bad luck with counter service. Probably 10 times a reservation would be displayed on the app, but by the time we we took 60 seconds to discuss if the time or food would work (we were running the next day), the reservation would be gone. Then we had to continually put our (already linked) credit card in the app to get a reservation or pay for counter service food. Which is easy if you are sitting comfortably somewhere. Not so much in the rain or in a crowd or when it's dark or you don't have your glasses to see the app super well. (We are both 50's) Every single thing we did was a hassle. And it was pretty darned crowded. Not the worst we've been for. But definitely crowded. We could have done more in the evenings, but Disney races require you getting on a bus at 3:30 a.m. so it's tough to stay in MK until close. Plus it was really cold. Obviously that isn't Disney's fault. Nor was the rain. But taking away all of our avenues to cope with the weather to still have a good trip was infuriating. And don't even get me started on Epcot. The endless damn walls. The endless drunk folks intermixed with the stroller families. It was weird. We actually waited a half hour for FIGMENT!!! because it was so busy that was the only thing we felt like trying. Thankfully, during the after party the lines were short for 2 of the 4 open rides. But Remy and Frozen were both over an hour wait during an after party open for 3 hours. Sorry for the rant. Was that enough detail? ;)

Edited to add - we stayed at the Swan. We always stay on property for races, usually Beach Club. I couldn't find a room for less than $600 a night, and many were over a thousand a night, and that was if any Disney rooms popped up at all. We ended up doing the Swan for about $400 which is still insane. So the bad news started before we even got there!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We went to AK on the Friday it poured. It's the worst park to be in during rain and we know that. But I didn't feel like screwing with getting a new "reservation" for a different park. Making one in the first place irked me. So we were freezing and wet and left by noon. Ordering food was a pain in the *** at best, and a nightmare at worst. We would spend forever on that stupid Genie app trying to get a damn "window" to just be able to order the food! We were hungry, and being told to wait a half hour just to oder the food was insulting. And we more than once had a window disappear as we tried to grab it. We attempted to get a sit down meal late in the day on Saturday (MK), only because we had had such bad luck with counter service. Probably 10 times a reservation would be displayed on the app, but by the time we we took 60 seconds to discuss if the time or food would work (we were running the next day), the reservation would be gone. Then we had to continually put our (already linked) credit card in the app to get a reservation or pay for counter service food. Which is easy if you are sitting comfortably somewhere. Not so much in the rain or in a crowd or when it's dark or you don't have your glasses to see the app super well. (We are both 50's) Every single thing we did was a hassle. And it was pretty darned crowded. Not the worst we've been for. But definitely crowded. We could have done more in the evenings, but Disney races require you getting on a bus at 3:30 a.m. so it's tough to stay in MK until close. Plus it was really cold. Obviously that isn't Disney's fault. Nor was the rain. But taking away all of our avenues to cope with the weather to still have a good trip was infuriating. And don't even get me started on Epcot. The endless damn walls. The endless drunk folks intermixed with the stroller families. It was weird. We actually waited a half hour for FIGMENT!!! because it was so busy that was the only thing we felt like trying. Thankfully, during the after party the lines were short for 2 of the 4 open rides. But Remy and Frozen were both over an hour wait during an after party open for 3 hours. Sorry for the rant. Was that enough detail? ;)
I totally get that…

we were having similar issues a few months back…”ghost” reservations in the system and wiping the payment methods.

only Disney would convert to everything app based before locking down the app. Typical of their IT “strategy”

Lilofan

We went to AK on the Friday it poured. It's the worst park to be in during rain and we know that. But I didn't feel like screwing with getting a new "reservation" for a different park. Making one in the first place irked me. So we were freezing and wet and left by noon. Ordering food was a pain in the *** at best, and a nightmare at worst. We would spend forever on that stupid Genie app trying to get a damn "window" to just be able to order the food! We were hungry, and being told to wait a half hour just to oder the food was insulting. And we more than once had a window disappear as we tried to grab it. We attempted to get a sit down meal late in the day on Saturday (MK), only because we had had such bad luck with counter service. Probably 10 times a reservation would be displayed on the app, but by the time we we took 60 seconds to discuss if the time or food would work (we were running the next day), the reservation would be gone. Then we had to continually put our (already linked) credit card in the app to get a reservation or pay for counter service food. Which is easy if you are sitting comfortably somewhere. Not so much in the rain or in a crowd or when it's dark or you don't have your glasses to see the app super well. (We are both 50's) Every single thing we did was a hassle. And it was pretty darned crowded. Not the worst we've been for. But definitely crowded. We could have done more in the evenings, but Disney races require you getting on a bus at 3:30 a.m. so it's tough to stay in MK until close. Plus it was really cold. Obviously that isn't Disney's fault. Nor was the rain. But taking away all of our avenues to cope with the weather to still have a good trip was infuriating. And don't even get me started on Epcot. The endless damn walls. The endless drunk folks intermixed with the stroller families. It was weird. We actually waited a half hour for FIGMENT!!! because it was so busy that was the only thing we felt like trying. Thankfully, during the after party the lines were short for 2 of the 4 open rides. But Remy and Frozen were both over an hour wait during an after party open for 3 hours. Sorry for the rant. Was that enough detail? ;)
Sorry to hear that. The drunk guests at Epcot on weekends is typical.

Slpy3270

I honestly feel like the stock selloff is an overreaction but if it falls below the level before Disney+ was officially unveiled then I can't help but wonder if it's going down the path of Time Warner pre-AT&T, which itself was a soulless, directionless company that sold off assets to almost no gain in stock price.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Edited to add - we stayed at the Swan. We always stay on property for races, usually Beach Club. I couldn't find a room for less than $600 a night, and many were over a thousand a night, and that was if any Disney rooms popped up at all. We ended up doing the Swan for about $400 which is still insane. So the bad news started before we even got there!
Appreciate you sharing your experience. And sorry it was not good at all.

llrain

"We would spend forever on that stupid Genie app trying to get a damn "window" to just be able to order the food! We were hungry, and being told to wait a half hour just to order the food was insulting. And we more than once had a window disappear as we tried to grab it. We attempted to get a sit down meal late in the day on Saturday (MK), only because we had had such bad luck with counter service. Probably 10 times a reservation would be displayed on the app, but by the time we we took 60 seconds to discuss if the time or food would work (we were running the next day), the reservation would be gone. "
this literally happened to us too. Sit down times would appear, a day of, super perfect time for us and by the time i got to the select guests part the time would be gone, within seconds. Then it would spit out another, later time. Ok fine, Ill take it. Then just for ha'ha's i would attempt a 3rd time and an earlier time than what i got in the end would pop back in. I feel you in this pain big time and everything else you mentioned, Its no fun anymore...I cannot believe that the exec's think we all wanted this based on "guest feedback"...total liars.

Ldno

I honestly feel like the stock selloff is an overreaction but if it falls below the level before Disney+ was officially unveiled then I can't help but wonder if it's going down the path of Time Warner pre-AT&T, which itself was a soulless, directionless company that sold off assets to almost no gain in stock price.
Don’t get me started on AT&T stock, but funnily enough all the big telecoms are struggling but seriously it’s worse off now.

At this rate Disney will probably use the “play” pavilion to host their “online sports betting” sections. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

talking about healthy options, it always mind boggling to me how not all the soda stands sell Powerade. One could argue how much sugar it has but after a hot day, I need me some electrolytes and always ed me off how each stand was at opposite ends of the parks lolol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney stock is overvalued…a rather ambiguous concept these days…I realize.

they don’t have a business based on “speculation”…because results determine the future. That’s the B of that strong “brand loyalty” and reputation stuff…

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney stock is overvalued…a rather ambiguous concept these days…I realize.

they don’t have a business based on “speculation”…because results determine the future. That’s the B of that strong “brand loyalty” and reputation stuff…
Oh, you mean what the Bob’s are milking for all they are worth? Yup. Too bad that milk is likely to leave a sour taste behind for those paying for that MAGICAL!!! vacation for Johnny and Susie. Continual erosion of what made Disney… Disney.

yensid1967

WHO do you really complain to that it would make a slight difference with Disney? With so many things wrong, so many people having bad experiences, who do you complain to where it actually gets heard by the important people who can actually do something!?

John park hopper

Really?

Just a few months back I remember hearing that the banks were worried because so many consumers had paid off their debts and, while they still used credit cards, they paid them off each month.

That's in stark contrast to the US Government who: "...needs a credit increase so that they can pay their debts."
The government debts are our debts people seem to forget that

MrPromey

WHO do you really complain to that it would make a slight difference with Disney? With so many things wrong, so many people having bad experiences, who do you complain to where it actually gets heard by the important people who can actually do something!?
I don't think you do. (complain)

I don't think they really care as long as they're hitting their numbers and then when they aren't hitting their numbers, it seems like the first thing they do is look at what to cut or raise prices on - not what to improve to give guests a reason to part with their money.

I'm sure the front line cast members care. I imagine their managers probably care but the people who are in control of this mess certainly don't and with what we heard about the rollout of Genie+ individual LL where guests were having to argue with guest relations just to get a refund on an attraction that had broken down before they could use them, the message coming down is certainly not one emphasizing guest service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom