News Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2021 Earnings Results Webcast

Ayla

As a "Day 1" subscriber, I got an email that I'll be getting a specially curated "Disney Box" of goodies as a Thank You... but only AFTER my auto-renewal invoices on the 12th... given they are offering this, I have to think they have concerns that Day 1 subscribers who paid for 2 years at the initial discount will let their subscription lapse. I wonder if they already have evidence of early adapters dropping out in significant numbers...
I only signed up for D+ because I got it free for a year through Verizon. Even free, it wasn't worth it to me. I got zero value out of it and cancelled it before my year was up.

pdude81

What Christine said was indeed rude and tone deaf. It seems she realized that "smaller portions" sounded miserly (it was) and tried to cover it with a joke, which may have worked if she applied it solely to herself in a self-deprecating way, but missed the mark. There should be an apology. But there shouldn't be a petition to get her fired over it. That's just as callous, if not more so.

Anyhoo, with regard to portion control, too much can be wasteful. Especially when you consider people heading back into the parks don't want to be carrying around a doggie bag. Or that such a doggie bag does them no good in a hotel room with no way to reheat the food.

That's why I prefer the buffets and the all-you-care-to-eat meals. I'm in control of the portions.
I prefer family style so I don't have to go to the trough, but it's definitely more wasteful to bring out a plate of EVERYTHING. They'll probably do a little better on margins for those restaurants as they return to buffet style from waste as well as staffing.

Sir_Cliff

Was anything said about what is going on with the international parks? I noticed (I think!) they still lost money this past quarter, but not sure whether that is down to HKDL, DLP, Shanghai or a mixture of all of them. Wouldn't surprise me if DLP is still struggling to turn a profit as Europe hasn't quite burst so forcefully out of the pandemic restrictions as the US and I'd imagine UK tourism has still be very restricted with all the various conditions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is a presumably sealed bag of ice really considered "loose"? Or is the argument that you can open the bag?
I wonder with the new scanning machines if this is even an issue any more.

The prohibition stemmed from increasing security requiring guards to stick their hands into everything to make a visual search if needed. The ice could conceal stuff.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To me it seems like the same Bob. I always got the impression the other one just didn't really focus much attention on the parks and we know who was in charge of them under that Bob... This feels like our current Bob getting to fully shine.
The current one is the Former with ZERO Hollywood/New York/Washington polish…

and that is why they (allegedly) are warring

the former thinks the latter is making him look bad

yensid1967

Cutting portion sizes, BUT ARE THEY CUTTING THE PRICES TOO for smaller portions? I DOUBT IT!
And how to put a DIG in for those with a little more to love!
I, personally TRY to not eat in the parks...the food in mediocre and now you get smaller portions. I grab a big breakfast at the hotel, snack in the parks and then MAYBE leave the park to grab a quick fast food and re-enter for the rest of the evening! Saves money, but takes time and planning...there are PLENTY of Fast-food places near property so you don't have to travel too far!

Last edited:

MrPromey

As a "Day 1" subscriber, I got an email that I'll be getting a specially curated "Disney Box" of goodies as a Thank You... but only AFTER my auto-renewal invoices on the 12th... given they are offering this, I have to think they have concerns that Day 1 subscribers who paid for 2 years at the initial discount will let their subscription lapse. I wonder if they already have evidence of early adapters dropping out in significant numbers...
As a "Day 1" subscriber who got in on the D23 deal of three-years-for-the-price-of-two, I did not get that email so I'm guessing you're right.

Maybe they'll send me my box of Character Warehouse overstock next year if I re-up.

Last edited:

pdude81

I'm a day 1 subscriber but I pay monthly. I got no such email, however. Was the email from "Disney+" or some other name attached to the address?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's the feeling I get, too. Iger focused on parks less and was less openly sleazy. Chapek is a whole new level of sleazebag, and he doesn't care who knows it.
I’d argue that chapek has some rudimentary experience with parks (thanks, Bob and BOD)…but he has ZERO knowledge of Hollywood and the entertainment biz…and Iger certainly did.

so he has really nowhere else to “go” but parks or target

a Disney ceo that knows nothing of Hollywood? What could go wrong?🤔

ImperfectPixie

I’d argue that chapek has some rudimentary experience with parks (thanks, Bob and BOD)…but he has ZERO knowledge of Hollywood and the entertainment biz…and Iger certainly did.

so he has really nowhere else to “go” but parks or target

a Disney ceo that knows nothing of Hollywood? What could go wrong?🤔
I'd argue that he doesn't know anything about the hospitality business, either, with the way he's running things.

I get the impression that he got tired of being a merch guy and decided to change track because he thought it would be fun.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I'm a day 1 subscriber but I pay monthly. I got no such email, however. Was the email from "Disney+" or some other name attached to the address?
Here's a screen grab of the email I got. It was from disneyplus@mail.disneyplus.com and was received yesterday.

Screenshot_20211111-115658_Gmail.jpg

Slpy3270

Don't let these earnings distract you from the fact that Disney makes more in profit than Netflix in its best days and that's not likely to change for the foreseeable future.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd argue that he doesn't know anything about the hospitality business, either, with the way he's running things.

I get the impression that he got tired of being a merch guy and decided to change track because he thought it would be fun.
Woah…I said “experience” in parks…I didn’t say he “knew” anything. His comments this last year have been amateur beyond reasonable.

as far as hospitality goes…neither he nor Iger had much of a clue. Iger was just better at distraction/veiled greed than slappy.

don’t put words in my mouth, sister!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't let these earnings distract you from the fact that Disney makes more in profit than Netflix in its best days and that's not likely to change for the foreseeable future.
And?

Disney sells stock based on speculation just as Netflix has. Stocks aren’t really all that tied to actual dollars and expenses anymore.

ImperfectPixie

Woah…I said “experience” in parks…I didn’t say he “knew” anything. His comments this last year have been amateur beyond reasonable.

as far as hospitality goes…neither he nor Iger had much of a clue. Iger was just better and distraction/veiled greed than slappy.

don’t put words in my mouth, sister!!
I say we give him a tight budget and tell him he has to book and pay for his family of 4's dream vacation...and then he has to experience it.

I'd love to see what his thoughts were after such an adventure. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom