Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2019 Earnings Webcast

seascape

Well, they won't tell you that it's lower than it was in the past. For example, in 2018 the hotel occupancy rates were reported to be 89%. That means in 2018 Disney had 4% lower occupancy rates than they did 3 years earlier. But they didn't tell you that. They only shined to spotlight on the (remember projected) increase to 90% (only 1% projected increase over 2015 numbers) because it makes them look good. Likely, the room occupancy changed in their favor due to several factors including the All-Star Hotel refurbishment. That is a huge hotel complex that is very popular. Closing off access to portions of that hotel complex for refurbishments will definitely push people into otherwise unoccupied rooms at other resorts. Others getting refreshed are Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside & FQ, and Saratoga Springs. DVC hotel rooms are the easiest to keep near full capacity. So, the refresh of the largest value hotel complex and some popular moderates receiving soft finish refreshes allow for closing off total capacity at some of the areas most difficult to get fully booked.
Give it up. Disney hotels are extremely profitable, have an occupancy rate any hotel chain would die
for even though they charge more than they should. The truth is, WDW hoteld are a huge success that Universal and or any other themepark operator could only dream of.

The Walt Disney Company is about to blow away Netflix and Comcast. I am a strong believer that the combined bundle of Disney Plus, Hulu with live TV and ESPN Plus will pass the Comcast Bundle and Netflix. I dropped my Nextflix account, and am down to Fios internet only in NYC and Optimum Internet only in NJ. But now have Hulu with Live TV and Disney Plus. In my Florida Condo I have Samsung smart TVs and can stream from my phone to the TVs, so there is no neef for hogj St. peed internet as I am only there for a few weeks a year. I am wating to see what type of package I can add that will add ESPN Plus and Hotstar.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What else would you call it? It’s not a hotel.

In the last ten years, they have attached “experience” on damn near everything. That is an obvious trick to detach the price from the value of the product.

People go to magic kingdom today (ironically) and pay $120...then get booted at 5 or pay ANOTHER $110 for an “experience” it is 90% the same damn thing. A 11 minute projection show and a 15 minute parade.

That’s not even that bad.

Go over to the dining forum and see how long it takes someone to call lunch “an experience”.

A hamburger and chicken fingers...brought to you by Aramark or Sysco.

Enjoy the end to end “experience of that”

Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed the “E”
Word??

VaderTron

@VaderTron
Nothing you say makes any sense. Nothing at all.
1. So according to your logic, Disney is sold out for rooms. That means success.
2. IF you understood DVC, you would also understand that DVC rooms that have not been declared to be sold still are rooms to rent. Therefore the sales status does not hinge on if the unit is sold or not. As for Jacksonville tarping seats, that is nothing like Disney closing rooms for refurb. These rooms are actually being refurbed quickly and returned to service. These rooms are not sitting idle.
3. Oops you don't have a 3
4. What the heck are you talking about with resellers and DVC rooms. Yes DVC reservations can be rented but I have no clue what you are talking about with the prices you are listing. Confirmed reservation rentals are a niche market that runs through discussion groups on the internet, not part of the full market for vacation planning and not rates discounted by Disney. It is fueled simply by people speculating on the market. As for DVC, occupancy is very high. Studios are not available for most nights at 7 months. So there goes that argument.

1 & 2: I will break it down for you. If I have 100 hotel rooms and I sell 85 of them I have achieved 85% occupancy. If I have 90 rooms and I sell 81 of them I have 90% occupancy. In reality I have sold a few less rooms, but my occupancy rate increased 5%. That is easily achieved by closing off large sections of rooms for refurbishment. Yes, soft finishes can be done somewhat quickly, but refurbishments take many months and even years (hard finish refurbs).

3. I had combined points together and removed 3. Forgot to change 4 to 3. Mistake owned.

4. Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. If you are going to come hard at someone, know what you are saying is based on something other than your uninformed opinion.

Now if you pay attention and read the rest you may learn something that will help you save money. Why would I share with you despite your rude and pitiable hubris? Because I'm not a jerk and believe people deserve a pass every once in a while and a second chance.

There are plenty of web sites that offer discounted DVC rooms both confirmed reservations and discounted points. Maybe do a Google search...it's literally that common. You will see pages of sites offering DVC rooms.

I have stayed at numerous DVC rooms throughout the years as have many other forum members. This past year I stayed in a Treehouse for $312. I've stayed at a Polynesian studio twice for $226 and $182 respectively. Here is a screenshot of some of the offers I mentioned earlier to show they are from a real company. It's up to you to search and see which one as I do not promote any one over another:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know you know better than that. Sure the contracts are sold but the rooms being unoccupied are not a good thing for Disney especially if the members used their points elsewhere.
Of course there not a “good” thing...because DVC was designed to make easy profits (merch) off loyal, high earning customers (Eisner 101)...

But empty DVC rooms do not reduce revenues as much as they like limit easy profits. They never lose a dime on a DVC room.

And they sell the contracts 30:1 on average. I don’t know what DVC site you book through...but there is rarely and empty room sitting there.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a good time to remind that on property rooms/DVC are never the problem with attendance and revenue/profit figures...

Would the off site business be what’s getting crushed?

And in Booms they don’t care. Check again in a bust.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1 & 2: I will break it down for you. If I have 100 hotel rooms and I sell 85 of them I have achieved 85% occupancy. If I have 90 rooms and I sell 81 of them I have 90% occupancy. In reality I have sold a few less rooms, but my occupancy rate increased 5%. That is easily achieved by closing off large sections of rooms for refurbishment. Yes, soft finishes can be done somewhat quickly, but refurbishments take many months and even years (hard finish refurbs).

3. I had combined points together and removed 3. Forgot to change 4 to 3. Mistake owned.

4. Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. If you are going to come hard at someone, know what you are saying is based on something other than your uninformed opinion.

Now if you pay attention and read the rest you may learn something that will help you save money. Why would I share with you despite your rude and pitiable hubris? Because I'm not a jerk and believe people deserve a pass every once in a while and a second chance.

There are plenty of web sites that offer discounted DVC rooms both confirmed reservations and discounted points. Maybe do a Google search...it's literally that common. You will see pages of sites offering DVC rooms.

I have stayed at numerous DVC rooms throughout the years as have many other forum members. This past year I stayed in a Treehouse for $312. I've stayed at a Polynesian studio twice for $226 and $182 respectively. Here is a screenshot of some of the offers I mentioned earlier to show they are from a real company. It's up to you to search and see which one as I do not promote any one over another:

View attachment 423978

View attachment 423979
View attachment 423980
Ouch...

You went HARD.

You are also correct

VaderTron

FQ is complete and has been for a while. All stars has been paused frequently to maximimze available rooms due to higher than forecasted occupancy. Riverside is currently paused so that all rooms are available due to high occupancy.

DVC rooms are not the easiest to keep near full capacity. That’s not how that works.

Then why are they sold out 7 to 11 months ahead? Oh...you mean that people cancel them? But wait...then that means the 90% projected for 2020 could potentially be lower because, as you say, "DVC rooms are not the easiest to keep near full capacity." So which is it? 90% is correct and DVC's sold out rooms won't come available? Or DVC rooms will become available due to cancellations and then be sold at half price to keep them occupied?

VaderTron

If course there not a “good” thing...because DVC was design to make easy profits (merch) off loyal, high earning customers (Eisner 101)...

But empty DVC rooms do not reduce revenues as much as they like limit easy profits. They never lose a dime on a DVC room.

And they sell the contracts 30:1 on average. I don’t know what DVC site you book through...but there is rarely and empty room sitting there.
And don't forget the annual dues that still get paid no matter where they use those points. If you think Disney gets no benefit from those funds you are kidding yourself.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And don't forget the annual dues that still get paid no matter where they use those points. If you think Disney gets no benefit from those funds you are kidding yourself.
I wasn’t forgetting...it doesn’t need to be said.

If you have a 200 point contract - and as we know represents a small fraction of point allocated to the unit you “own” - and you dont show up for the year?

Then you pay $1500 for nothing. Not a thing. And somebody else shows up to use the services you...and they...pay for.

A housekeeper only cleans the rooms actually built...if they bother to clean. They don’t have to fly to Illinois and clean the rooms of those paying dues for it.

VaderTron

View attachment 423978

View attachment 423979
View attachment 423980

Kind of funny...I stayed 2 nights in a Poly room and 1 night in a Treehouse Villa for $720. Disney is offering 1 night at Coronado for more than that! And that's with a Florida Resident "discount"! :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

Lilofan

A housekeeper only cleans the rooms actually built...if they bother to clean. They don’t have to fly to Illinois and clean the rooms of those paying dues for it.
And guests paying for more and getting less in return. Back in the day, bedsheets were changed out everyday, including changing out used towels daily before the housekeeping cost savings efficiency initiative set in.

VaderTron

I wasn’t forgetting...it doesn’t need to be said.

If you have a 200 point contract - and as we know represents a small fraction of point allocated to the unit you “own” - and you dont show up for the year?

Then you pay $1500 for nothing. Not a thing. And somebody else shows up to use the services you...and they...pay for.

Wasn't really meaning you. More a general thought for those who clearly need these things to be brought out because they can't think for themselves. Only what Disney's earning statement contained is fact. Keep on the blinders! :p

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And guests paying for more and getting less in return. Back in the day, bedsheets were changed out everyday, including changing out used towels daily before the housekeeping cost savings efficiency initiative set in.
I’m fully aware...
They have not maintained the quality or their end of the bargain from a reputation standpoint.

I’m sure we could go on about that...but I’ll save it 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kind of funny...I stayed 2 nights in a Poly room and 1 night in a Treehouse Villa for $720. Disney is offering 1 night at Coronado for more than that! And that's with a Florida Resident "discount"! :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

View attachment 423984

Their rack rates are dogpoop...as are nonsense things like “club level”...

But the lemmings continue to see only the feet Infront of them.

For me...the Canary in the coal mine is when they INCREASED the prices prior to discounts in the housing crash bubble....

Hmmm...seemed like a setup. The setup was executed perfectly. But it was right in the open.

VaderTron

FQ is complete and has been for a while. All stars has been paused frequently to maximimze available rooms due to higher than forecasted occupancy. Riverside is currently paused so that all rooms are available due to high occupancy.

DVC rooms are not the easiest to keep near full capacity. That’s not how that works.

That point right there says it all. Disney will alter it's "refurbishment" schedule and allotment of closed off rooms depending on how many people want to stay. Plenty of rooms? Close off more rooms and do refurbs. More guests coming? Open them up. That will maximize the "percentage" of occupancy on the report.

Lilofan

Changing sheets everyday? What an absolute waste of resources.
Speaking of waste how about getting rid of the theme park paper towels to dry your hands and save millions of trees, and instead, put those hand air blow dryers as a substitute. Sound good?

VaderTron

Speaking of waste how about getting rid of the theme park paper towels to dry your hands and save millions of trees, and instead, put those hand air blow dryers as a substitute. Sound good?

And maybe get that self-serve condiments bar back at Casey's instead of thousands of plastic/metal packets getting tossed out every day from condiment packets that replaced it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom