Disgruntled Disney Workers Give Leaflets At OIA

cherrynegra

Posted on Thu, Nov. 04, 2004

Disney World and largest union reach contract deal

MIKE SCHNEIDER

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. - After months of contentious negotiations, Walt Disney World and leaders of its largest union group agreed to a tentative contract Thursday that will likely avert a strike at the theme park resort.

A majority of leaders of the Service Trades Council, a coalition of six unions that represents 40 percent of the company's 53,000-person work force, will recommend approval of the three-year contract to its members when they vote on it next Thursday.

Earlier this week, union leaders advised members to reject the latest proposal and authorize union leaders to call a strike if further negotiations and mediation failed. But both sides found common ground during talks that lasted into Thursday evening. The ballot still will ask members to approve the proposal, or reject it and authorize a strike.

The contract covers hotel workers, costumed characters, bus drivers, ticket takers, ride operators and concession workers. Union members rejected two previous proposals.

"Neither side was totally pleased with the package," said Ed Chambers, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, Local 1625. "In my experience, when neither side is really happy, you got the best deal for everybody."

Disney backed down from what union leaders considered a deal-breaker: raising the number of job hours that are allowed to be worked by part-time workers. Union leaders considered it a way for the company to save on health care costs and other benefits given to full-time workers.

Earlier in the day, Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak called the contract proposal "fair and competitive."

Chambers said under the latest proposal:

_ Top-scale workers who currently earn $11.12 an hour will get a 20-cents-an-hour increase and a lump sum bonus of between $1,500 and $1,700 during the contract's first year. In the second year, they will get another lump sum, and in the third year they will get a 25-cents-an-hour wage increase.

_ The starting minimum wage currently at $6.70 an hour will increase 10 cents an hour for each year of the contract.

_ New hires will be able to enroll in the company's pension plan. Under previous proposals, Disney wanted new hires only eligible for a 401k plan.

_ Hours of work a week guaranteed by the company will go from 30 to 32.

_ The threshold for being a full-time worker will go from 25 to 30 hours a week.

_ Health insurance contributions by workers will increase.

Walt Disney World's last strike was by some musicians in the early 1980s.

The Service Trades Council and the company have been negotiating a contract since May. Union leaders have picketed outside a Disney store in New York and passed out leaflets at the Orlando International Airport to protest the company's offer on wages and health care and pension benefits.

Walt Disney World is part of The Walt Disney Co., the theme park and media conglomerate that also owns the ABC and ESPN cable television networks. On the New York Stock Exchange, Disney shares rose 68 cents, or 2.7 percent, to close Thursday at $26.32.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Well Legacy, you are wrong

Once again, I must point out to someone that they are wrong. Geez, Legacy. Sorry to have to do this but I did not speak out of both sides of my mouth. What I said was that I am trying to debate this issue on its merits. And that if people persist in personal attacks that I would have to refer to the site administrator. That's NOT being a flip/flopper. Wonder where I heard that one before? hehe.

Anyway, so we see that the cms are going to get more hours, pay increases, pension plans for new hires, etc. (in other words, everything the union was asking for).

But NO SO FAST SPORTS FANS. It seems that now the unions THEMSELVES can't come to agreement. Two of the trade council unions weren't invited to the big dance, so they're not playing. Seems they're miffed at not getting a PS for the negotiations, so they've decided to decline the offer at this time, and instead, cite violation of federal labor laws.

Gee, I thought this was about making sure the CMS got a better deal, and NOT ABOUT THE UNIONS?!!!

Hmmm, interesting.

Legacy

HennieBogan1966 said:
Once again, I must point out to someone that they are wrong. Geez, Legacy. Sorry to have to do this but I did not speak out of both sides of my mouth. What I said was that I am trying to debate this issue on its merits. And that if people persist in personal attacks that I would have to refer to the site administrator. That's NOT being a flip/flopper. Wonder where I heard that one before? hehe.
You called his comments useless. Therefore, you degraded his personal opinion and proclaimed that he had no right to discuss the issue. I would consider that a personal attack, especially because you didn't try to argue his comment on any merits and instead deemed it unapplicable. Now, I didn't call you a flip/flopper. If you want to try and sneak coy political statements into your posts, that's on you. I just felt that it was a bit hypocritical that you would demean another poster's statements and character, while at the same time complaining about personal attacks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom