Discovery Island

RangrPic

Original Poster
Can anyone tell me if Discovery Island is still there. I got this years edition on Birnbaums DisneyWorld, and it does not mention it. My family really enjoyed taking the boat over and walking around the island. Thanks!

djmatthews

I think it closed in 1998 when Animal kingdom opened. Some of the Animals from Discovery Island were moved to Animal Kingdom, and some to other wildlife insituates in Florida. I was speaking to a cast member in September, the plan is to turn Discovery Island into some kind of luxorious Honeymoon Island with individual cabins and such like.

bearboysnc

I read about the Honeymoon Cottage Idea.

I also read about Disney's interest in making a real time "Myst" type game on property.

wanabeimagineer

Originally posted by bearboysnc
I read about the Honeymoon Cottage Idea.

I also read about Disney's interest in making a real time "Myst" type game on property.
Ya Ive heard about the Honeymoon thing, but not the "myst" thing, how would they go about doing that?

Thespis

Rumor has it that the island is polluted by massive amounts of bird droppings making it unusable for the time being. I don't think I buy that as they have company functions out there occasionally. I like the honeymoon cottage idea as well as the rumored Hundred Acre Woods attraction.

WigglyWiggins

I heard a rumor that they were going to build an interactive kinda quest thing (For anyone in the UK...like crystal maze!!!) Kind of a treasure hunt but more complicated with challenges and stuff, you would be competing against other teams aswell. That would be reaaly cool! Whats this about 100 acre wood? i havnt heard anything about that...do explain further...

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
The rumor I heard about Discovery Island was that Disney was going to theme it with a Clive Barker Story that is going to come out in the near future. This I dont believe. Clive Barker and Disney? Doesn't sound right.

I also heard the Myst rumor. I believe it would be neat to just explore the area and find secret passages and stuff.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
not a thing for now

they can't do a thing for the time being. the entire insland is infested w/ termites

JBloom1029

i remembr discovery island really well and i hope that they bring it back cuz i have good memories from that place. I got to hold a boa constrictor.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by JBloom1029
i remembr discovery island really well and i hope that they bring it back cuz i have good memories from that place. I got to hold a boa constrictor.

It won't come back because of Animal Kingdom.

Luau Cove

Originally posted by DisneyInsider

It won't come back because of Animal Kingdom.

Obviously. People won't spend even half of their day in Discovery Island when they have Animal Kingdom. However, DI can come back used in another way, after all it's a piece of land inside MK area and I'm sure it won't be left unused for a long time.

-->LUAU

monorail256

the whole 100 acre woods thing sounds really cool... :) and as for that boa that you held JBloom1029, i had the chance to hold it to..lets just say I didnt like it and leave it at that... :lol:

GoofyMike29

so what is discovery island going to be used for?
I do not think a thing like Myst would work, but a treasure hunt would be nice and so would a Honeymoon suite type of thing> Does anyone know for sure?

s25843

Don't they use the island now? I think it is used for the Kid's pirate expedition launched from the Grand Floridian.

There was Nothing on the Island when we were there last month. They dont even turn on the Nav. Lights around it anymore.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by s25843

There was Nothing on the Island when we were there last month. They dont even turn on the Nav. Lights around it anymore.

The cruise is in the afternoon (or morning) so they wouldn't have to use lights. And they wouldn't turn them on at night because they wouldn't want to draw attention to it. I am almost positive they use it for the Pirate adventure.

bearboysnc

Myst is a CD rom game set on an island with fanciful buildings, sculptures and machinery containing clues to a treasure.

Solve the series of puzzles and you are rewarded. It was not for children. They were complex puzzles that required several steps to solve.

I don't think Disney wanted to liscence the game and it's images. But wanted to develop a real time experience similar to it. At the time Imagineering was given the task to develop attractions that lasted longer.

Kinda like Tom Sawyer's Island with a goal.

sigsegv

The cruise is in the afternoon (or morning) so they wouldn't have to use lights. And they wouldn't turn them on at night because they wouldn't want to draw attention to it. I am almost positive they use it for the Pirate adventure.

They do. When my wife and I were at the GF for our honeymoon in 1999 and again in 2001, my wife tried to sign up for this. Unfortunately, you need to be a kid physically, not just spiritually. :animwink:

-sig

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom