1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Discovery Cove without dolphin package?

Discussion in 'Sea World Orlando' started by WildernessLodge, Jun 16, 2017.

1. WildernessLodge

WildernessLodge Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to DC without the dolphin package? I'm thinking about doing it in August. I've never been to DC before and I'm very curious. I already plan to go to SeaWorld which is $80 and the day I'm looking at DC is $200. Is $120 worth DC without the dolphins? Also, is Aquatica worth going to? Thanks for any advice!

2. Crazydisneyfanluke

Crazydisneyfanluke Well-Known Member

Aquatica is worth going to.

DC is known for the dolphin interaction. If you love the animal and interacting hands on with them definitely do it.

Im not 100% sure if they still do it, but the offer a 14days (7 days before and after) ticket to SW and Aquatica included into the DC tickets.

WildernessLodge likes this.
  3. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Well-Known Member

We did DC without the dolphin swim last October and enjoyed it so much we are going back this coming September to do it again. And again, we will not be doing the dolphin swim. Discovery Cove is a beautiful, uncrowded park with lots to see and do, plenty of time for relaxation, and the food is pretty good too.
    For us, we watched some people participate in the dolphin swim but we both decided we were quite happy not doing it and saving the extra cost. If you are a real fan, it may be worth it to you for the close up encounter with the dolphin, but for us we don't feel like we really missed anything important and still had a fantastic day.
    I posted a trip report with some photos if you would like to check it out:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/discovery-cove-seaworld-and-other-stuff.921799/#post-7464213

4. SSH

SSH Well-Known Member

What Epcotisbest said...we also went last Oct for 1st time - no dolphin swim - and LOVED it. :inlove: We too plan on returning this year or next.

WildernessLodge and epcotisbest like this.
  5. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

We did it with the Dolphin swim but I'd argue it's still worth doing without. The lazy river truely is a lazy river it's very slow, relaxing and uncrowded. The reef is amazing, as are the bird gardens. It's a pretty amazing place and we all felt it was worth the money.

Aquatica is good...don't expect Disney theming or Volcano Bay thrills, it falls somewhere in between. It's pleasant & clean with nice but basic theming with slides that are decent but unspectacular. The real highlight is Roas Rapids which is a fast lazy river which is so much fun. There's no Disney level crowds or Volcano Bay level stress here...it's just a fun day. Arguably one of our favourites to be honest despite its shortcomings...just set your expectations below in the categories I mentioned above.

6. WildernessLodge

WildernessLodge Well-Known Member Original Poster

Wow guys thanks for the info!! Follow-up question... I just found out nobody else in my family plans on going to Discovery Cove or Aquatica. Do you think they would be fun on my own? They plan to go to SeaWorld with me =)

7. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

Depends what kind of person you are.

One of the highlights of my holiday was floating off on my own for an hour and a half for a few laps round the lazy rivers...if you value time alone at times then Discovery Cove is a great place for it.

8. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Well-Known Member

I agree that will just depend on if you enjoy doing things alone. Lots of fun stuff to do there, and lots of opportunity for a peaceful retreat from what can be a hectic vacation.
    I once went to the Magic Kingdom alone one day when my wife was not feeling well and she insisted I go ahead without her while she stayed back for a little bed rest then maybe some poolside lounging. I lasted a bit more than an hour or two then came on back to the room as I just did not want to be there without her, it just was not the same. But, that's just me. We have been going to the parks together for so many years it just wasn't the same alone. I went on down to the pool alone as she got some needed bed rest, and I was fine by the pool alone with a book until she came down a few hours later. I guess maybe I felt like I was close by if she needed something, I don't know.
    In your situation, it is different, and knowing others are out having fun maybe you would not have a problem having your own fun that they simply chose not to do.