Disability Assistance

sublimesting

Hi everyone! I have a question for a friend who's 9 year old has autism/aspberger's. They are a family of 4 (the other son is 5), and they are planning their first ever Disney trip for this fall. The Mom called Disney this weekend to upgrade their tickets to park hopper and she also inquired about how the disability assistance works. She was told that as of a few days ago Disney no longer offers disability assistance for guests as the program was abused too much. The CM said it was "...a very recent change and the web sites aren't even updated yet."

Is this true? I can't imagine that it would be.

If it isn't true, then does a child on the autism spectrum, who cannot wait in lines, qualify for using it?

And if so, what do they need to do? Do they need a doctor's form or anything?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

drizgirl

That story is incomplete or the CM was messing with your friend.

Just tell them to stop by guest services on their way into the park and explain their son's needs. No doctor's note needed.

Upvote 0

sublimesting

Original Poster
That story is incomplete or the CM was messing with your friend.

Just tell them to stop by guest services on their way into the park and explain their son's needs. No doctor's note needed.
That's what I thought. I know there have been changes according the WDW web site. Apparently you have to go to the Town Hall on Main Street and discuss your issue with a CM and then if they feel you fit the criteria you will be photographed and given a limited time permit.

But I can't see a CM "messing with" a guest, especially over something like this. They told her the program has been discontinued.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I don't think the CM was "messing" with your friend. Like many CM's who are just people working at a call center, they are often ill informed in areas other than their primary area of responsibility (like selling tickets). If Disney had suddenly ended the DAS program, the Disney fan sites would have exploded immediately. But I have seen no mention of this on any of the sites I visit.

You and your friend might like to do a bit of research on the DAS program. Here's a link to get you started:
http://allears.net/pl/dis_aut.htm

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

That CM was misinformed. As has been stated by others, you can stop in at Guest Services in the parks to obtain the DAS. An autism/Aspergers diagnosis absolutely qualifies. Doctors notes are not required or asked for, though I know that some families carry that information with them regardless.

Information on the DAS and other disability services can be found on the official site here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

They also offer a general guide that answers frequently asked questions and also offers information on "quiet places" in the parks families can get respite from the crowds: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...lities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide_ilove.pdf ,

They also offer a great guide to attractions detailing possible sensory issue triggers someone might have: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...ognitive-disabilities-services/wdw_matrix.pdf

Upvote 0

Mandy M.

The program has changed over the years so maybe thats where the confusion comes in. It used be more of a fastpass that would allow you to jump to the front of the queue. Now they give you a return time equal to the wait time posted and you come back to ride or see the show. You do not have to wait in line but you will not get on any sooner than the wait time either.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

The program has changed over the years so maybe thats where the confusion comes in. It used be more of a fastpass that would allow you to jump to the front of the queue. Now they give you a return time equal to the wait time posted and you come back to ride or see the show. You do not have to wait in line but you will not get on any sooner than the wait time either.
Correct - it used to be a front of the line card, with no limits, it could be used over and over again on the same attraction, and that left it open for abuse. With the change to a wait time FP+ like system, you need to return at a later time.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

I don't think the CM was "messing" with your friend. Like many CM's who are just people working at a call center, they are often ill informed in areas other than their primary area of responsibility (like selling tickets). If Disney had suddenly ended the DAS program, the Disney fan sites would have exploded immediately. But I have seen no mention of this on any of the sites I visit.

You and your friend might like to do a bit of research on the DAS program. Here's a link to get you started:
http://allears.net/pl/dis_aut.htm

There's ill informed. And there's going out of your way to fabricate stuff. I can see getting the answer wrong, but why the need to go out of their way and claim it had just changed a few days ago and the online site just hadn't been updated. That's just strange.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom