Disability assistance program no longer offered?

sublimesting

Hi everyone! I had this in trip planning but my friend re-confirmed that the CM told her this went into effect over the weekend so maybe it should be in rumors. I really doubt what she was told but here it is: I have a friend who's 9 year old has autism/aspberger's. They are a family of 4 (the other son is 5), and they are planning their first ever Disney trip for this fall. The Mom called Disney this weekend to upgrade their tickets to park hopper and she also inquired about how the disability assistance works. She was told that as of a few days ago Disney no longer offers disability assistance for guests as the program was abused too much. The CM said it was "...a very recent change and the web sites aren't even updated yet."

Is this true? I can't imagine that it would be.

If it isn't true, then does a child on the autism spectrum, who cannot wait in lines, qualify for using it?

And if so, what do they need to do? Do they need a doctor's form or anything?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

DisneyJoe

Didn't you get an answer in the other thread?

With all of the legal issues around it, I doubt it was removed completed.

It did go digital.

Another set of forums that shall not be named here has a Forum just for disabilities, I am sure they would have the most current info if this was the case, and I am not seeing it.

Upvote 0

sublimesting

Original Poster
Didn't you get an answer in the other thread?

With all of the legal issues around it, I doubt it was removed completed.

It did go digital.

Another set of forums that shall not be named here has a Forum just for disabilities, I am sure they would have the most current info if this was the case, and I am not seeing it.
Oh it's digital now? Yeah I had further info where she said that the CM said it just happened over the weekend and it is gone now. I did look around on the interweb and saw nothing so I figured it was all hogwash.

Upvote 0

21stamps

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need DAS?
    No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

Does anyone know when that changed? I swear that we used to go to a separate entrance on rides when my grandmother (confined to a wheelchair in later years) traveled with us.

Anyway, here's what's crazy to me- there is a page on a Disney site that clearly states people were abusing or lying to obtain a disability card. WTH is wrong with people????

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need DAS?
    No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.
Does anyone know when that changed? I swear that we used to go to a separate entrance on rides when my grandmother (confined to a wheelchair in later years) traveled with us.
There are still a few attractions where you enter via the exit, but they are getting fewer and fewer as they modify entrances to make them wheelchair and ECV friendly. Most that remain are in the MK, and Spaceship Earth in Epcot. They never needed a DAS card to do that, at least not in my personal experience. (I use an ECV)

Upvote 0

tissandtully

Anyway, here's what's crazy to me- there is a page on a Disney site that clearly states people were abusing or lying to obtain a disability card. WTH is wrong with people????
It was a really big story a couple years ago, rich folks were paying disabled people to go with them so they could skip the lines. A simple google search will turn all of this up.

Upvote 0

21stamps

It was a really big story a couple years ago, rich folks were paying disabled people to go with them so they could skip the lines. A simple google search will turn all of this up.
That sounds extremely odd.

I'm the worst online person I guess..I don't spend too much time googling things.lol

Upvote 0

21stamps

Upvote 0

Lucky

Are you sure they didn't ask for a GAC? That program is technically over
The CM's answer would make even less sense if he/she thought the question was about a program that ended several years ago.

She was told that as of a few days ago Disney no longer offers disability assistance for guests as the program was abused too much. The CM said it was "...a very recent change and the web sites aren't even updated yet."

Upvote 0

HowAboutDisney

There is still a pass.
If the wait time is 60 minutes they scan your magic Band or give you a little card with a return time to return to the ride 50 minutes later...

IMO this is the best system they could have in place.

Upvote 0

Funmeister

This is how it works.
You do not have to have medical records from your doctor, however you will be questioned in detail (about your disability and without violating HIPAA) so the Guest Relations Host can better determine which option is right for your needs. Not all will qualify for the pass nor are you automatically approved if you are in a wheelchair or denied because you are not. This is NOT a violation of your rights as they are just inquiring the best option for you and not to approve or deny your request. If you are qualified as needing the "special assistance," your entire party must visit Guest Relations to register. Each person in your party must be present so they may add your name(s) to the magic band of the person with the disability. Once everyone is registered, the person with the disability must go to whichever attraction greeter they prefer and request a return time. Their magic band will be scanned and a return time is given. A card is not given for a return. The only time a card may be given is in the event the system is down. The wait is a minimum of 1-hour and in some cases can be longer especially if regular Fast Passes are exhausted for the day. In addition, only one Fast Pass is given at a time and is not stackable. They are only allowed to get a new Fast Pass only when they have used the one they previously registered. It is not a perfect system, but it is probably the best system they have ever had in place to deter people taking advantage.

Upvote 0

LukeS7

This is how it works.
You do not have to have medical records from your doctor, however you will be questioned in detail (about your disability and without violating HIPAA) so the Guest Relations Host can better determine which option is right for your needs. Not all will qualify for the pass nor are you automatically approved if you are in a wheelchair or denied because you are not. This is NOT a violation of your rights as they are just inquiring the best option for you and not to approve or deny your request. If you are qualified as needing the "special assistance," your entire party must visit Guest Relations to register. Each person in your party must be present so they may add your name(s) to the magic band of the person with the disability. Once everyone is registered, the person with the disability must go to whichever attraction greeter they prefer and request a return time. Their magic band will be scanned and a return time is given. A card is not given for a return. The only time a card may be given is in the event the system is down. The wait is a minimum of 1-hour and in some cases can be longer especially if regular Fast Passes are exhausted for the day. In addition, only one Fast Pass is given at a time and is not stackable. They are only allowed to get a new Fast Pass only when they have used the one they previously registered. It is not a perfect system, but it is probably the best system they have ever had in place to deter people taking advantage.
^ This is entirely accurate. I had to use this when I went last March. I had had Tendinitis in my right knee a few months prior and thought it had gone away, but it came back the second day of our trip and I had severe pain walking or standing for long periods of time. Guest Services was extremely accommodating and I was kinda shocked when they didn't ask for more proof other than the knee brace I had on (brought it with me just in case the Tendinitis did come back)

Upvote 0

peter11435

This is how it works.
Just to clarify the wait is not a minimum of 1-hour. It is based on whatever the current standby wait time is. It very well could be less than 1 hour if the current wait is less than one hour.

Upvote 0

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Crazy. I never heard of it til now. I don't watch CNN, but I did just google it and found an article from my preferred morning news source as well. Sad. A lawsuit also came up in the search, imo it sounded ridiculous. Didn't search more to see how it ended.
There was quite a bit of talk here about it when the program switched from GAC to DAS. There were numerous lawsuits and general ugliness. It seems like mostly everyone has calmed down and the new system works for most who need it. The moderators here had their hands full and the threads on this got heated at times. You missed some fireworks back then:)

The GAC was heavily abused and the new program seems to be less easy to manipulate for the abusers. The lawsuits were mostly from a handful of groups with legit disabilities who wanted either a return to the previous system or additional accommodations made for their situations.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom