Disabilities and Disney

gal_disney

I am well aware of DAS and have used it with no problem. I did have a question on whether others have received accommodations based on only being able to be out in the park for a limited amount of time. Obviously DAS and fast passed help a lot but if you are only able to physically stand being in the park for 5 or so hours due to your disability, it still isn't enough, especially with the new rides wait times. If others can let me know if Disney has helped them with this matter, that would be awesome!

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

I have a physical disability and travel to Disney very often. What precisely are you asking? for help/accomodations in seeing more attractions than FP+ and DAS can get you?

Using plans from TouringPlans can be of assistance in maximizing your time - as well as getting to the park at rope drop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gal_disney

Original Poster
I have a physical disability and travel to Disney very often. What precisely are you asking? for help/accomodations in seeing more attractions than FP+ and DAS can get you?

Using plans from TouringPlans can be of assistance in maximizing your time - as well as getting to the park at rope drop.

So I am asking if anyone with a disability has received further accommodations based on only physically being able to last in the park around 5 hours or so. If I use DAS on lets say Flight of Passage, and I have to wait 2 hours until I come back, I can realistically only use it about one more time. Has guest relations ever helped to get you in rides quicker?

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I am well aware of DAS and have used it with no problem. I did have a question on whether others have received accommodations based on only being able to be out in the park for a limited amount of time. Obviously DAS and fast passed help a lot but if you are only able to be in the park for 5 or so hours, it still isn't enough, especially with the new rides wait times. If others can let me know if Disney has helped them with this matter, that would be awesome!
tenor.gif

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

So I am asking if anyone with a disability has received further accommodations based on only physically being able to last in the park around 5 hours or so. If I use DAS on lets say Flight of Passage, and I have to wait 2 hours until I come back, I can realistically only use it about one more time. Has guest relations ever helped to get you in rides quicker?

When you say "5 hours or so", I am going to assume 6 hours is a fair number. If you are able to get 3 FP+ and use DAS 2 or 3 times, that allows you access to 5-6 attractions. You can easily do more with proper planning.

If you arrive at rope drop, and I recently did this in mid-August at HS with TSL, I was able to experience all 3 TSL attractions in 75 minutes without any FP+, and then we went to RnRC and ToT AFTER eating breakfast at Woody's Lunchbox. We also rode Star Tours and saw all characters in Star Wars Launch Bay. We only had FP+ for ToT. We ate lunch at ABC Commissary, and we left the park between 1:30 and 2pm. We got to the park at 8am. Yes, this would be more difficult at busier times of year, but with proper planning, it can be done. Yes, FoP is a challenge, but it is for anyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

If you can be in the park 5 hours, with a rope drop arrival, and make wise use of your 3 FP+and DAS 1 or 2 times (meaning you're waiting in expedited lines for 5 or more headliners in 5 hours -- there's at least half of your park time right there with expedited access), you're already going to have minimal waits for just about everything you do. I'm not sure what more WDW could possibly do to maximize your park experience. I don't have a DAS -- yet with a rope drop arrival, a smart touring plan and just 2 or 3 FP+ (and moving slowly, with kids in tow) we can cover 10-12 attractions/shows in 5 hours with no waits over 10 minutes even on days with greater than average (albeit not Christmas/Easter week level) crowds. If you want to maximize your time, I highly recommend a touringplans subscription. It's just a few dollars, and will help you make the most of every minute by allowing you to make customized touring plans that take into account the date of your visit, park hours, projected crowd levels, and even your walking speed.

Upvote 0

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

No, you'll just have to plan better around the DAS. Guest relations won't be able to do anything to accommodate getting to rides faster because it would be ripe for abuse plus since the DAS time is equal to normal standby time, if they modified it to work differently it wouldn't be fair to other guests. @Weather_Lady mentioned FP+, rope drop, and touring plans. Using those methods and your 3 FP+ there's no reason you can't get on most attractions in 5 hours using DAS. You can have a DAS wait time and FP+ at the same time, and you can also use someone that's on your DAS to go ahead of you to set up your times.

Upvote 0

gal_disney

Original Poster
Not that I am aware of, and I have been working with our clients (I own a Disney-focused travel agency) for 14+ years and have had quite a few with various challenges.

When you say "5 hours or so", I am going to assume 6 hours is a fair number. If you are able to get 3 FP+ and use DAS 2 or 3 times, that allows you access to 5-6 attractions. You can easily do more with proper planning.

If you arrive at rope drop, and I recently did this in mid-August at HS with TSL, I was able to experience all 3 TSL attractions in 75 minutes without any FP+, and then we went to RnRC and ToT AFTER eating breakfast at Woody's Lunchbox. We also rode Star Tours and saw all characters in Star Wars Launch Bay. We only had FP+ for ToT. We ate lunch at ABC Commissary, and we left the park between 1:30 and 2pm. We got to the park at 8am. Yes, this would be more difficult at busier times of year, but with proper planning, it can be done. Yes, FoP is a challenge, but it is for anyone.
Right, I was just using FoP as an example. I having been going to Disney many years so I am fully aware of proper planning. Unfortunately with a disability it doesn't always work as planned so since my diagnosis its been tough to get a lot of rides in within one trip. Can't just pop up at rope drop and run over like I use to be able to :). So that is why I was asking if anyone had heard of any other accommodations being made.

Upvote 0

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Right, I was just using FoP as an example. I having been going to Disney many years so I am fully aware of proper planning. Unfortunately with a disability it doesn't always work as planned so since my diagnosis its been tough to get a lot of rides in within one trip. Can't just pop up at rope drop and run over like I use to be able to :). So that is why I was asking if anyone had heard of any other accommodations being made.

You can send a runner ahead at rope drop to get a return time on your DAS, doing it that early it'll probably be for around the time you get to the ride.

Upvote 0

gal_disney

Original Poster
No, you'll just have to plan better around the DAS. Guest relations won't be able to do anything to accommodate getting to rides faster because it would be ripe for abuse plus since the DAS time is equal to normal standby time, if they modified it to work differently it wouldn't be fair to other guests. @Weather_Lady mentioned FP+, rope drop, and touring plans. Using those methods and your 3 FP+ there's no reason you can't get on most attractions in 5 hours using DAS. You can have a DAS wait time and FP+ at the same time, and you can also use someone that's on your DAS to go ahead of you to set up your times.
I TOTALLY get the abuse issue. I think my issue is that everything has to work right for the above situation to work out. Get the right fastpasses at the proper times within the window I think I will be able to, etc etc.

Upvote 0

gal_disney

Original Poster
If you can be in the park 5 hours, with a rope drop arrival, and make wise use of your 3 FP+and DAS 1 or 2 times (meaning you're waiting in expedited lines for 5 or more headliners in 5 hours -- there's at least half of your park time right there with expedited access), you're already going to have minimal waits for just about everything you do. I'm not sure what more WDW could possibly do to maximize your park experience. I don't have a DAS -- yet with a rope drop arrival, a smart touring plan and just 2 or 3 FP+ (and moving slowly, with kids in tow) we can cover 10-12 attractions/shows in 5 hours with no waits over 10 minutes even on days with greater than average (albeit not Christmas/Easter week level) crowds. If you want to maximize your time, I highly recommend a touringplans subscription. It's just a few dollars, and will help you make the most of every minute by allowing you to make customized touring plans that take into account the date of your visit, park hours, projected crowd levels, and even your walking speed.
Wow you are a pro, I have gone to Disney probably 20-30 times and never been able to do 12 rides in 5 hours lol

Upvote 0

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I TOTALLY get the abuse issue. I think my issue is that everything has to work right for the above situation to work out. Get the right fastpasses at the proper times within the window I think I will be able to, etc etc.

You're right that everything has to work right for DAS to work (including your body), if you can't get to the parks DAS doesn't work at all. I have some friends and family with disabilities who have to use DAS and it's been very helpful to them overall.

Haha unfortunately I wouldn't want that person waiting for me to get to the park for 1-2 hours alone , they may never come with me again ;-P

I'm not sure what disability would prevent anyone from getting to a park at a certain time, but I could see how that could be a problem. :)

Upvote 0

gal_disney

Original Poster
You're right that everything has to work right for DAS to work (including your body), if you can't get to the parks DAS doesn't work at all. I have some friends and family with disabilities who have to use DAS and it's been very helpful to them overall.

I'm not sure what disability would prevent anyone from getting to a park at a certain time, but I could see how that could be a problem. :)
If you can barely move when you wake up it takes a bit of time to gain the energy ( if you do at all) so that is more what I am referring to. I can't commit to a time I can get up and get out. A lot of people have chronic issues with severe pain and fatigue so the issue is that you won't know until the time of if your body will hold up.

Upvote 0

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
If you can barely move when you wake up it takes a bit of time to gain the energy ( if you do at all) so that is more what I am referring to. I can't commit to a time I can get up and get out. A lot of people have chronic issues with severe pain and fatigue so the issue is that you won't know until the time of if your body will hold up.

Yuck, sorry to hear! Hope you still get to enjoy your time in the parks. :)

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Its too bad Disney has to limit what they do for guests with needs. But they at least having the DAS in place helps somewhat. It isnt the best but it can be useful. The old system was much better but unfortunately the bad apples out there found a way to take advantage of/ scam the system and ruined it for people who really needed the assistance. DW is in a w/c and she doesnt get to do many of the attractions because they arent all accessible for her so that limits the amount of things she can do in a day for the price of her tickets.

Upvote 0

HwdStudio

thank you and thanks for all the tips! I will TRY haha
Unfortunately there is nothing more Disney can do. Also unfortunately the way you tour Disney is what will have to change. You may not get to do everything that you used to do but you can’t expect Disney to offer a remedy for that. You mind set will have to change to realize this is all I will be able to do. It happens to people everyday. I am
Very heat intolerant. It cause me
More issues than I can count. I get to
Spend very little ti
E in the parks because of it. I do t expect Disney to compensate me in any way. If the little bit you can actually do feels like it no longer worth it it may be time to start looking at other places to travel.

Upvote 0

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
Does anyone know if the scooter rental place is still on the Boardwalk and what is the name?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom