Direct Check In - No front desk required - Test, Thoughts?

mm121

Original Poster
http://www.disneydining.com/big-changes-tested-property-disney-guests/

Just wondered what everyone here thoughts are on this?

the ability to check in via the app, and never visit the front desk and just precede direct to the room.

Personally I think this takes away part of the guest experience and from a customer service standpoint could be a disaster.

I know from working at a front desk, if rooms are in short supply it would be bad to text "clean" room numbers to people who are still hours and hours from arrival and then have to tell the people in front of you at the counter that they have to wait.

it also takes away the 'welcome" along with a primary trouble shooting time if room types aren't available etc.

disney4life2008

Nope. Even online check in goes too fast for me but I will do that. There is something about entering the lobby and checking in that officially starts a vacation for me. If I just use my MB bypass the lobby all together - I will feel cheated.

disney4life2008

I prefer dealing with human beings. Putting front desk staff out of work for "convenience" bothers me.

This isn't about better customer service, it's corporate savings and that's all it is.

That is an interesting perspective. In January I noticed a smaller number of CMs at the front desk and this was during the cheerleading check in at sports. There were more managers than anything (granted there was alot of confusion of MBs then). But this is yet another "convenience" of mm+ which if successful will impact how we check in.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We will arrive in the middle of the night if we drive, being able to go straight to our room would be great at a Value since you don't have to go through the lobby to get to your room. Also people who want to go straight to the parks could check in and know there room is waiting for them after an afternoon/ evening in the parks

cw1982

I agree with @RandomPrincess. It's not like they are taking away the option to check in at the desk. And in the case of people who check in in the middle of the night, the lines at the front desk can go pretty slow late at night because the front desk has fewer people working. I saw this firsthand on our last trip and know many people in that line would have much rather been able to check in remotely.

rob0519

I prefer dealing with human beings. Putting front desk staff out of work for "convenience" bothers me.

This isn't about better customer service, it's corporate savings and that's all it is.

Agreed. This is another cost cutting initiative pure and simple. I still refuse to use self checkout at the grocery store because all it does it put people out of work and make me do for nothing what the grocer used to pay people to do without giving me, the customer, any type of discount.

I want to check in to a hotel by talking to a real person.

cw1982

Would be good to update MDX with a room map of the hotels.

For that matter, they have the capability for the app to know where you are, even down to which attractions you are close to in a park. It would be cool if they could let the app give you directions from the front of the resort to the best parking lot for your room, and from your car to your room.

rob0519

We will arrive in the middle of the night if we drive, being able to go straight to our room would be great at a Value since you don't have to go through the lobby to get to your room. Also people who want to go straight to the parks could check in and know there room is waiting for them after an afternoon/ evening in the parks

Ok, never thought about some of your points. We never arrive in the middle of the night and we always have to go through a lobby to get to our room. If you check in remotely and go straight to the parks, wouldn't you still have to stop at the resort to drop off luggage?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Ok, never thought about some of your points. We never arrive in the middle of the night and we always have to go through a lobby to get to our room. If you check in remotely and go straight to the parks, wouldn't you still have to stop at the resort to drop off luggage?

Depends. If you drove yourself - no it can sit in the car until you get the hotel. I also know people who have traveled light - carry on size bag or two and will put it in the theme park lockers.

MorganKelly

Checking in at DVC the CM's always say "Welcome Home!"........I would really miss that. It transitions me from "real life" to being on Disney Time.

Clamman73

So this would be good for me since I'm kinda doing the same as last fall where I fly in by around 9:30am, pick up the car, drive to the World. But instead of going to Pop and checking in, I would just go straight to EPCOT and then after lunchtime go directly to the room for a siesta, and then go to MK afterwards all without having to bother w/ going to the lobby. (As long as the room is in a good spot)

disney4life2008

Agreed. This is another cost cutting initiative pure and simple. I still refuse to use self checkout at the grocery store because all it does it put people out of work and make me do for nothing what the grocer used to pay people to do without giving me, the customer, any type of discount.

I want to check in to a hotel by talking to a real person.

Its become more common practice in customer service now. Even fast food chains are testing using computers to order food. But its the jetsons coming to life in actuality.

psukardi

Well by that logic might as well pay people to bag your groceries & pump your gas too. I know where the stuff is, I know the whole speech - just let me have my room key and be on my way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom