Dinseyland & DCA Advice, please!

imamouse

Original Poster
It’s been 30 long years, but I’m finally going back to Disneyland at the end of this month and I need some expert advice, so naturally I came here. What I mainly want to know is which attractions are exactly like their WDW equivalents, and therefore could be by-passed if I run short of time. I’ve purchased a 3-day park hopper ticket and hope that will provide enough time for touring both parks.

For instance, I’ve read that BTM in DL is 2 ½ minutes long, whereas it’s over 3 minutes at WDW, so I could skip this attraction if necessary. What else is so similar or perhaps better at WDW over DL? Although the facades are different, are the Haunted Mansions the same once you enter the stretching room?

I have never experienced Mr Toad’s Wide Ride – should I give it a go, or not? The same goes for the Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin in Toontown. My boys are in their teens, so this would be the only attraction we would venture into Toontown to ride. Should we hit, or miss Roger Rabbit?

I know about Space Mtn at DL and can't wait to grab a FastPass then get in line.

And what about Fantasmic? I’ve seen this amazing production at least a dozen times at the Disney MGM-Studios in Orlando. Is there any difference in the staging or story line at DL?

What about the best places to view the parades where we would see the parade stops?

You get the idea by now, so please offer advice and opinions on any-and-all DL and DCA attractions.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.

PrinceDon

3 days should be enough

For anyone that often visits WDW, 3 days at DL & CA are more than enough. I am actually doing the same in 12 days. It will be the first time in about 5 years. The things I wouldn't miss are:
Fantasmic! - you wont believe how much better it can be.
Indy, Main Street Electrical Parade, Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear - I hear it is close to WDW's, but the guns aren't hard mounted to the vehicle
Monsters Inc, Aladdin Musical
Jungle Cruise & Haunted Mansion went through a rehab and received some updates I am excited to see...
Tiki Room - The old fashion way
Easy to Skip - Same or less than WDW -
Tough To be A bug, Honey I shrunk the Audience, Muppets 3D, Star Tours
Soarin - but the lines are shorter in DCA,
Tower of Terror - I haven't been on either, but I hear WDW is far superior, mostly in theme'ing
Peter Pan's Flight, Tea Cups, Dumbo
That should give a few things to put lower on your list
Have Fun!

GenerationX

The DL PotC is far superior to the WDW version. Don't get fooled by the queue, which is far worse than the WDW counterpart. The DL ride is longer, and the story makes more sense.

The HMs are similar. Fantasmic is better at DL. ToT is better at WDW, but there are a couple of effects unique to the DCA version that warrant a look. Splash Mountain is much shorter (and slightly less entertaining) than its WDW counterpart.

Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin is fairly entertaining (say 3.5 stars out of 5). The kids will probably like it. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, not so much (2 stars).

MickeyTigg

GenerationX said:
The DL PotC is far superior to the WDW version. Don't get fooled by the queue, which is far worse than the WDW counterpart. The DL ride is longer, and the story makes more sense.

Go on this first...it's scheduled to be closed again May 1.

Adam E

PrinceDon said:
Main Street Electrical Parade
The Electrical Parade is no longer around ;). I think anywhere in Main Street is a great place to see Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams - which is a fantastic parade. Don't miss the Remember... Dreams Come True! fireworks spectacular either.

imamouse

Original Poster
Thanks to all who have responded. Your replies are very helpful, for example, I was going to skip Fantasmic due to the lack of seating and having see the WDW version so many times, but now it's back on my list of things to do.

Any more tips? Keep 'em coming, please!

P.S. I saw an Electrical Parade listed on the DCA calendar for April 23.

Shrike

If you don't mind dropping some extra cash, I cannot reccommend enough trying to get a balcony seat to the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet. Simply awesome. Probably way too late though. If so, "A Walk in Walt's Footsteps" is my favorite Disney tour, and costs the same as the Fantasmic Buffet.

Ride Toad. Period. Sleeping Beauty too.

Make sure you same a bit of time to watch Disneyland : The First 50 Magical Years. Well worth it, and not to be missed.

Ride both sides of the Matterhorn. I prefer the Sub lagoon queue side, but both are fun.

Get a fritter at the Veranda or the Julep bar. If virgin Mint Juleps are your thing, get one of those too.

Have a meal at the Blue Bayou. Get a ressie now.

See the original Tiki Room, sans Lion King bird whashisname.

Tarzan Treehouse is fun for the little ones. Nice view too.

Have fun!

TTATraveler

Definately don't miss all the DL exclusives like Alice in Wonderland, Pinnochio's Daring Adventure, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Autopia, The Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Golden Horseshoe, Indiana Jones.

Make sure you see Remember, Dreams Come True from the hub. You'll need to get there really early, but you will have the best view of the awesome fireworks and special effects. If you have time, take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour. The tour is abour 3 1/2 hours long and will get you a special peek at the lobby of Club 33, not to mention the neat things you will learn on the tour.

Dubman

Don't miss "Great Moments with Mr Lincoln" on Main St as you walk in.. Very good attraction utilizing the 3D sound effects used in "Sounds Dangerous". I second the Blue Bayou dinner stop, and make reservatons quickly! Disneyland Railroad also very interesting, not to be missed and you must ride it all the way around at least once. Jungle cruise a little different, and in my opinion better. PoTC diffinitely better. HM different and a must see. If you like Winnie the Pooh, the ride vehicles and theming are much better at DL. Eat lunch at the Hungry Bear and sit outside by the Rivers of America. Above all, get there early!! Park gets almost unbearable by 1:00pm. On the way down Mainstreet there is a coffee house on the left.. Plan on stopping in for an awesome cinnimon roll and iced coffee.. Yum.. I have to say, even though it is in the middle of a very busy section of anahiem, they did a very good job of making you feel as though you are transported to a different world once you enter the gates. When you watch Fantasmic, do not sit at the tables by the Liberty Tree unless you bring an umbrella!! Its like a scene from Alfred Hitchcocks' "The Birds". I watched about 10 people get pooped on before the show. DCA is one of my favorite "Disney" parks.. Next to Epcot.. Didn't get a chance to ride ToT, opened 1 week after we left in April 04. Love the Golden Vine Winery area. If you want a nice romantic dinner, try the restraunt above the winery building(Can't remember name) it is very good, but very expensive. If you eat there, be sure to make ressie just before the time of the Electrical Parade and request an outside table against the balcony. Awesome view of parade. Look for Patty (At the winery) and say hello from the couple from NY that celebrated their 10 year anniversary there. We were her first table back in July 03, and when we returned in April 04 she remembered us!! 3 days will be enough time to see everything, we usually went to DL first and rode popular attractions, and then hopped over to DCA by noontime. DCA, like Epcot, handles crowds better then their counterpart. Also, in the animation building, I believe they have Turtle Talk W/Crush now. We have nothing but awesome memories of our 2 trips there and can't wait for the next!! Have a blast!! And sorry for rambling on so long! :)

TTATraveler

Dubman said:
Don't miss "Great Moments with Mr Lincoln" on Main St as you walk in.. Very good attraction utilizing the 3D sound effects used in "Sounds Dangerous".

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is not playing during the 50th Happiest Homecoming Celebration. Disneyland: The first 50 Magical years, hosted by Steve Martin is playing in the Main Street Opera House. By all means, don't miss this show either. Lots of DL artifacts are also in the lobby area.

Dubman

TTATraveler said:
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is not playing during the 50th Happiest Homecoming Celebration. Disneyland: The first 50 Magical years, hosted by Steve Martin is playing in the Main Street Opera House. By all means, don't miss this show either. Lots of DL artifacts are also in the lobby area.

Sounds like a great attraction.. Steve Martin is awesome! Would have liked to see it.. Now to find a link to a video of it... Anyone? Thankyou!!

Ducky_Love

I am going the 25-29th and Blue Bayou is closed the entire time, as well as PoTC. This is all from the DL website. Have people been and seen it open?

Also, that week Fantasmic is only showing on the weekend. Since we are leaving on Saturday morning it was very important to score Fantasmic Dessert Buffet seats that Friday. We called EXACTLY 30 days in advance at EXACTLY when the res center opened.. and the first show was already sold out!! We managed to get 3 seats to the 2nd showing that night. Point of the story: those tickets are VERY hard to come by.

EDIT: and the Electrical Parade isn't there until the summer. Also, Vineyard Room is only open Friday / Saturday and was sold out for a private event when I called 60 days in advance when the res center opened to get a ressie there for Friday evening!

I am so excited!! :D :sohappy: I can't believe our trip is only 12 days away!

BRER STITCH

I LOVE DL becasue you can actually see both parks in one day if you try hard enough! :lol:

As you will be there for 3 days, you CAN and SHOULD see EVERYTHING once, and your favorite stuff even more!

DO NOT SKIP ANYTHING!!! Though the ride itself may be similar to its WDW counterpart, the things you see on the way to it are certainly different and because of that, its a whole different experience.

As I mentioned..you have plenty of time, so use your pre-trip energy planning on getting to see EVERYTHING... instead of on planning which things to skip!

You're gonna LOVE IT!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

imamouse

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all of the great advice. I did notice that Blue Bayou is closed (due to PotC rehab). Darn! I didn't realize that Fantasmic would only be presented on weekends. Our plans are to arrive on the afternoon of 23rd, then go to the parks the 24-26. Looks like we'll also miss the Electrical Parade at DCA on the 23rd. But I don't like the idea of using one of our 3-day PHP for a half-day on the 23rd (we won't be arriving until 2-3PM).

I guess my plan to avoid the crowds is back-firing on me! Since the BB is closed, which other resturants should I try to book? I'll try to book the Vineyard Room at DCA (keeps fingers crossed). I can't believe I've left this for so late - I usually have all of my ressies well in advance. Thanks again for your help
:wave:

TTATraveler

I am not sure if you are interested in character meals or not, but Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel seems to be the most popular for which it is a good idea to make a reservation. I didn't eat there since wait times were long, but I did breakfast with Chip and Dale at the Storytellers Cafe in Grand Californian and it was pretty good.

imamouse

Original Poster
Thanks, but I'm not much of a breakfast eater and my party will consist of my 70-yr old (but very active and fit) mother and I. A piece of fruit and some yogurt and we're good to go in the mornings. Plus, I'll be heading for Space Mtn and the Matterhorn first thing, so I don't want to :hurl:

BRER STITCH

Do STORYTELLERS CAFE for dinner! :slurp:

It will get you out of the parks and into the Grand Californian to check it out. The cool part is, you can get into the resort from both DCA and Downtown Disney, so you can do the park, eat dinner, and shop all night without having to actually go anywhere! :lol:

We found Storyteller's to have a nice, relaxing atmosphere with OK food. The service was good and it was a great spot to rest before hitting Downtown Disney for the night.

We also ate at the Carnation Cafe and Blue Bayou at DL, The Wine Country Trattoria at CA, which was very good for lunch, and Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney. All were good! The rest of the time we ate at the counter serve places wherever we happened to be.

HAVE FUN!

:wave:

imamouse

Original Poster
Thanks Brer Stitch. I have my eye on Wine Country Trattoria and Brennan's at DTD. We also want to eat a meal at the GCR (tried to book our stay there, but it was full), so thanks for the endorsement of the Storytellers Cafe. I'm also considering Napa Rose at the GCR. Has anyone eaten there?

I am especially relieved to hear that 3 days will be enough time to cover both parks. My mom will likely need a little down time mid-day, so it's good to know that we should be able to have good coverage overall.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied. You've all been a tremendous help!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom