DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

raymusiccity

Yeah, but then people would think "Hey is this that other ride 8.5 miles down the road in that other park where that E.T Feller flys?"
jurassic5.jpg~original
Wow. Talk about an exaggerated artists concept of a ride. I'd pay to go on that ride over at Uni if it looked like that!

Bairstow

Now that's interesting.
Sold off because they're going to be re-casting replacements, or is something more extensive happening?

SplashJacket

Because he's both iconic and generic at the same time. It's hard to enforce copyright on a giant gorilla.
Well, they shouldn't be able to. It should be in the public domain. Mickey should be as well... Walt used a lot of items that were in the public domain (Snow white, Pinocchio etc...) and now the things he did create are not in the public domain so yay...

Edit : Before anyone points out how unclear I was, I will call myself out. I was attempting to say Universal shouldn't be able to make a copyright claim, because it should be in the public domain.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Well, they shouldn't be able to. It should be in the public domain. Mickey should be as well... Walt used a lot of items that were in the public domain (Snow white, Pinocchio etc...) and now the things he did create are not in the public domain so yay...

Edit : Before anyone points out how unclear I was, I will call myself out. I was attempting to say Universal shouldn't be able to make a copyright claim, because it should be in the public domain.
I do actually think there should be an exception to copyrighted stuff falling into public domain when it's still being used by the creator (or the creators company) regularly aand still successful. Mickey is still a very big part of the Disney company and they're still making cartoons. I think it would be unfair if Mickey was public domain. I'm no expert in copyright law, but that just makes sense to me.

SplashJacket

I do actually think there should be an exception to copyrighted stuff falling into public domain when it's still being used by the creator (or the creators company) regularly aand still successful. Mickey is still a very big part of the Disney company and they're still making cartoons. I think it would be unfair if Mickey was public domain. I'm no expert in copyright law, but that just makes sense to me.
I agree. They should modify it to not fall into the domain if still being used by the original person and or company. Though if the domain is sold it is no longer the original company and therefore will fall into the public domain after ex-amount of years pass. This would not affect prior transactions such as StarWars etc. But hey, why would they change the current laws if they are not enforcing them...

Cmdr_Crimson

Oh Adam! We need your help...

DisneyCane

Mickey should not be in the public domain because the character has become a Trademark of Disney that represents the brand. Trademarks don't go into the public domain. While the story for Steamboat Willie will end up in the public domain, somebody couldn't make a copy of it and use the likeness of Mickey Mouse in it. They could use Ronald Rat and make a character that looks completely different and remake the movie. They could even call it Steamboat Willie.

King Kong doesn't represent any company. Therefore he was only protected by copyright and would therefore end up in the public domain.

I'd have to get a law degree to figure out something like The Peanuts. Does Snoopy or Charlie brown represent a company and qualify for Trademark? What about the other characters? Big Bird would probably qualify for a Trademark. Darth Vader, probably not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom