Dinner for Mom & Son

vs6191

Original Poster
My DH, DS11 and I will be going to WDW next August for what will be our last trip for a while. :( We have been lucky enough to go the past 4 summers, but finances have changed. I am planning a 10 day trip to POP on the dining plan. My husband wants to go to the ESPN Club for one night so I can have a Mom/Son dinner with my son. I am thinking we will hook it into a Magic Kingdom Late Night so we can spend a few hours by ourselves. Any suggestions on where we could eat for a great experience? Can be character or not and can be just about any type of food. Can't be Le Cellier because DH wants to go to that dinner. Doesn't really matter where it is because we are familiar with Disney and comfortable with the transporation. Any and all advice is welcome!

tigsmom

If you are going to the MK then why not try Liberty Tree Tavern or the Crystal Palace? You could boat over to the WL for the Whispering Canyon Cafe or maybe hit the Contemp for Chef Mickey's?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you are going to the MK then why not try Liberty Tree Tavern or the Crystal Palace? You could boat over to the WL for the Whispering Canyon Cafe or maybe hit the Contemp for Chef Mickey's?

Whispering Canyon Cafe...that's an excellent suggestion, especially for that age. :wave:

Eljay

How about the California Grill, 15th floor at the Contemporary? Then you could watch Wishes without the crowd. Not easy reservations to score, though.

Another nice one is Rose & Crown at the UK in Epcot. Get as late a reservation as possible to enjoy Illuminations from a patio table.

If your son is a big eater, the Biergarten in Germany is fun. The only issue might be getting seated with strangers at the big tables. I have personally had very good luck with meeting really nice people that way.

If you are seafood lovers, one of my favs is the Cape May Clambake Buffet at the Beach Club. Great food, all you can eat, nice atmosphere and after dinner it's just a very short walk back to Epcot for Illuminations.

Ahh, so many restaurants, so little time!:animwink:
Enjoy! :slurp:

Oh, and by the way,... WELCOME!!!

vs6191

Original Poster
Whispering Canyon Cafe...that's an excellent suggestion, especially for that age. :wave:

We actually stayed at the WL two years ago, I will definitely ask him about Whispering Canyon. I agree that may be fun. Liberty Tree is a dinner we generally do as a family and we always to Crystal Palace for breakfast. That is why I am struggling a bit because I don't want to exclude DH from any of his favs!

vs6191

Original Poster
How about the California Grill, 15th floor at the Contemporary? Then you could watch Wishes without the crowd. Not easy reservations to score, though.

Another nice one is Rose & Crown at the UK in Epcot. Get as late a reservation as possible to enjoy Illuminations from a patio table.

If your son is a big eater, the Biergarten in Germany is fun. The only issue might be getting seated with strangers at the big tables. I have personally had very good luck with meeting really nice people that way.

If you are seafood lovers, one of my favs is the Cape May Clambake Buffet at the Beach Club. Great food, all you can eat, nice atmosphere and after dinner it's just a very short walk back to Epcot for Illuminations.

Ahh, so many restaurants, so little time!:animwink:
Enjoy! :slurp:

Oh, and by the way,... WELCOME!!!

You said it perfectly ... so many restaurants, so little time! I do like the idea of the California Grille but again may want to include hubby in that one. IF we decide we want that, I will be calling 180 +10 to try to get it! Rose & Crown may be just what we are looking for. Cape May won't work because seafood is the one thing we don't like. We have gone to Biergarten every trip and LOVE it. I am looking for something different. He suggested San Angel in Mexico. We ate there 3 years ago and weren't impressed. He wants to give it another try. Has it gotten any better? Reading other reviews here, I am thinking no.

BRER STITCH

Well, you narrowed it down pretty well by tying your meal into your time at Magic Kingdom!

A dinner at the Liberty Tree is the best of all worlds - Great Food, Convenience, Awesome atmospher, and CHARACTERS!!!

You'll both love it!

ENJOY!!!!

:wave:

coltow

The first place that came to mind was Ohana. Then after seeing someone suggest Whispering Canyon that could be great too.

vs6191

Original Poster
The first place that came to mind was Ohana. Then after seeing someone suggest Whispering Canyon that could be great too.

Yes Whispering Canyon does sounds good. We plan to go to Ohana for breakfast, not sure about dinner. We tried it a few years ago and may have hit it on an off night but it just didn't 'thrill' us.

Right now the front runners are WC and Liberty Tree unless we end up someplace in EPCOT. Trying to convince him that he doesn't want to go back to Mexico!

ThinkTink721

My DH, DS11 and I will be going to WDW next August for what will be our last trip for a while. :( We have been lucky enough to go the past 4 summers, but finances have changed. I am planning a 10 day trip to POP on the dining plan. My husband wants to go to the ESPN Club for one night so I can have a Mom/Son dinner with my son. I am thinking we will hook it into a Magic Kingdom Late Night so we can spend a few hours by ourselves. Any suggestions on where we could eat for a great experience? Can be character or not and can be just about any type of food. Can't be Le Cellier because DH wants to go to that dinner. Doesn't really matter where it is because we are familiar with Disney and comfortable with the transporation. Any and all advice is welcome!
Whipering Canyon at FW
Liberty Tree Tavern at MK (heard it's good - want to try it next year)
Rainforest Cafe' at DTD or outside AK
The Garden Grill at Epcot (good character meal)
Chef Mickey's at CR (one of my personal favorites) :slurp:
:wave:

GoofyMom2

My DS age 11 said his favorite places are:

Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern, and O'Hana's.

We also have a DS age 8.....a couple of years ago younger DS was too tired to stay at MK for EMH so DH took him back to the resort. So it was just my older son and I. We had some great quality time with "just us"......it's a great idea to do sometimes! We went on a whole bunch of rides, looked in the windows on Main Street and ate hot dogs at Casey's.

A place my kids haven't been that want to try: Coral Reef in Epcot. Your son might enjoy the atmoshere and it is something different. MY DH and I ate there in Sept for our anniversary and had great service and a good meal....also on DDp at that time.

Have a great trip!

vs6191

Original Poster
My DS age 11 said his favorite places are:

A place my kids haven't been that want to try: Coral Reef in Epcot. Your son might enjoy the atmoshere and it is something different. MY DH and I ate there in Sept for our anniversary and had great service and a good meal....also on DDp at that time.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I was thinking Coral Reef myself. But last night my son tells me that he wants to go to Jiko for the mac & cheese filet. DH says we should just splurge and do it. Unless he changes his mind before February when I can make ADRs, that is what we will do. Going to try to go to California Grille as a family. Still working on fitting Coral Reef into the mix! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom