Dinner Dress Code - Dream

GoofyPalWalt

Original Poster
After 27 trips to WDW, we are doing a cruise. Staring off with 3 night to see what its like. Question is dress for MDR's in rotational dining. Are nice shorts, sandals, tee shirt or golf shirt OK? We don't want to pack anything extra, especially after doing parks for first 6 days.

EOD K9

Personally, I would wear a button down shirt or golf shirt and khakis or dress slacks. If you are going to wear shorts, I would wear dress shorts and not cargo shorts. Personally, I also would not wear sandals. I started cruising with DCL before they lightened up on the dress code. Therefore, I still adhere to that. There are many threads on here about what is acceptable and what is not in the MDRs. Your experience and mileage may vary. Have a great trip!

ChuckElias

Like @EOD K9 , I actually enjoy dressing a little nicer than shorts and tank top. I'm usually office casual on "cruise casual" nights, and I wear a tie or tux on formal/semi-formal nights. My family enjoys it.

Having said that, I've never seen anyone turned away from the rotational restaurants over the dress code. So if you want to wear shorts and flip-flops, you won't have a problem.

lostpro9het

After 27 trips to WDW, we are doing a cruise. Staring off with 3 night to see what its like. Question is dress for MDR's in rotational dining. Are nice shorts, sandals, tee shirt or golf shirt OK? We don't want to pack anything extra, especially after doing parks for first 6 days.
Your question has been answered well but as a someone who was in your place a few years ago i want to make sure you dont make the same mistake we made. Book a place holder while on board! This was the single regret we had from our first DCL trip. You can always cancel it and get a refund but you can never get it once you disembark. I wanted nothing to do with cruising when we took our first trip a few years ago but i was converted and we already have DCL trips 6 and 7 booked for this year!

jaklgreen

You can wear shorts and a t-shirt. The only they would turn you away for is if you are in a swimsuit. Some people get bent out of shape on the forums because they dress up so everyone else should. I have been on 7 Disney cruises and I can tell you that the other diners are not walking around and acting like the dress code police. Everyone is enjoying themselves and spending time with their families, not having their cruise "ruined" by someone wearing shorts. You will love the cruise. And like lostpro9het said, book your next cruise while on board.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
On short cruise, there won't be a formal night. The only addition to the info above is if you want to dine at Remy or Palo, then there's a stricter dress code.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The only thing they won't let you wear to the rotational restaurants are swimsuits & cover-ups and tank tops. The cruise website should state the dress code. I've seen guests in nice cruise casual and Disney park attire. And I've also seen a diner in Palo in jeans and a wrinkled shirt. They seated him.

MotherofaPrincessLover

Some people dress up, some don't. I personally do not. I have a hard enough time getting all the stuff I need to pack for my family in our suitcases and through the airport and everything so I don't want to pack a lot more.

TheOrangeBird01

Don’t be “shorts guy”! If anything wear pants at least. Disney may not enforce the dress code as much as some of us may like, but it really makes the experience when you dress a little nicer for your meals.

Furiated

Don’t be “shorts guy”! If anything wear pants at least. Disney may not enforce the dress code as much as some of us may like, but it really makes the experience when you dress a little nicer for your meals.

Assuming we're still talking the rotational dining and not Remy/Palo, then why? I understand if you want to wear pants vs shorts, but what does it matter what someone else wears?

I wore shorts on my last cruise and will on my upcoming cruise. I'm pretty sure the food will taste the same either way :)

TheOrangeBird01

Assuming we're still talking the rotational dining and not Remy/Palo, then why? I understand if you want to wear pants vs shorts, but what does it matter what someone else wears?

I wore shorts on my last cruise and will on my upcoming cruise. I'm pretty sure the food will taste the same either way :)

For me it’s because there is a dress code and even though they may not enforce it, it’s still there. It’s noticeable when there’s the select few tables that don’t follow the code. Nothing wrong with it, it’s just noticeable. Wear whatever you want, I just like the atmosphere when everyone’s dressing nicer.

Furiated

For me it’s because there is a dress code and even though they may not enforce it, it’s still there. It’s noticeable when there’s the select few tables that don’t follow the code. Nothing wrong with it, it’s just noticeable. Wear whatever you want, I just like the atmosphere when everyone’s dressing nicer.

Wait... There is? For the regular rotational restaurants?

I just did a quick search and on the DCL site it says Cruise Casual "so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops"

I hate dressing up, I'm 100% a shorts and t-shirt guy, but if a place has a dress code I'll try to follow it (or just go somewhere else). But I didn't think that shorts were out of line except for Remy/Palo.

EOD K9

Wait... There is? For the regular rotational restaurants?

I just did a quick search and on the DCL site it says Cruise Casual "so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops"

I hate dressing up, I'm 100% a shorts and t-shirt guy, but if a place has a dress code I'll try to follow it (or just go somewhere else). But I didn't think that shorts were out of line except for Remy/Palo.
A while back there was a dress code. No shorts and t shirts. Does it ruin my meal?...no. But when a family shows up in ripped shorts, t-shirts, its just noticed. I'll wear my khakis and polo because that was the dress code when I first cruised. If you are the shorts and t guy, have at it.

TheOrangeBird01

A while back there was a dress code. No shorts and t shirts. Does it ruin my meal?...no. But when a family shows up in ripped shorts, t-shirts, its just noticed. I'll wear my khakis and polo because that was the dress code when I first cruised. If you are the shorts and t guy, have at it.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Furiated

Interesting! I'm relatively new to DCL so I didn't know that there used to be a dress code at the rotational restaurants. When did it change?

And I'm with you on the ripped clothing example you gave. I just don't see why some people have an issue if a person wants to dine wearing say a DCL t-shirt and a clean pair of shorts in good condition. I think we're in agreement regarding someone showing up in a wet bathing suit bottom and a ripped tank top.

Club Cooloholic

One could get married in wearing a mullet and a t-shirt that says"business upfront, party in the back" and the food at the reception would taste the same, just there might be a few glares
If they are nice shorts, go for it, just Just busting chops

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom