Dinner at California Grill to see MK fireworks or Story Book Dining at Artist Point

Chippy

Original Poster
I need some advice. We are taking a trip that includes our family and two of my daughters friends. We have always loved dinner at the California Grill and rooftop viewing of Wishes. This is our first visit since Wishes was replaced and was wondering if experience has changed? We haven't been to Story Book Dining and of course want to go. Since this is a graduation celebration for my daughter, she and her friends chose the dining experiences and there is only one night left open. Which one should we choose? Thanks!

Hockey89

I need some advice. We are taking a trip that includes our family and two of my daughters friends. We have always loved dinner at the California Grill and rooftop viewing of Wishes. This is our first visit since Wishes was replaced and was wondering if experience has changed? We haven't been to Story Book Dining and of course want to go. Since this is a graduation celebration for my daughter, she and her friends chose the dining experiences and there is only one night left open. Which one should we choose? Thanks!
Easy Cal Grill... I have my issues with cal grill but it is way better option than artist point since they ruined that place...

MaryJaneP

If it were up to us, we would also choose Cali, no question. However, choice seems to be daughter's and budget may play a role in this too.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
If you want to see the fireworks, I would recommend seeing Happily Ever After in the Magic Kingdom. They have a lot of projections on the castle and they are amazing. That is one big difference betweens Wishes and Happily Ever After. If this is the case, I would go to Storybook dining. But if it's not, then I would do the California Grill, can't go wrong there.

Janir

If you want to see the fireworks, I would recommend seeing Happily Ever After in the Magic Kingdom. They have a lot of projections on the castle and they are amazing. That is one big difference betweens Wishes and Happily Ever After. If this is the case, I would go to Storybook dining. But if it's not, then I would do the California Grill, can't go wrong there.
I'd second that. Haven't done the Storybook dining yet, but HEA fireworks and projection show as mattchu758 said is the projection show onto the castle and really adds to the firework show if you haven't planned any in park fireworks viewing yet for your vacation. The storybook dining looks fun and the videos on it show the food to look decent at least, can't say how it was compared to what it USED to be.
Please note I'm biased to fireworks views in general. My upcoming trip will have at least 4 different fireworks viewings of MK fireworks.

ELeigh

I agree that if it's your first time with Happily Ever After the best way to view it is in the park.
We did the Snow White dinner last week and the food is definitely not signature level *edit: assuming that's what you are looking for if your other choice is Cali-I can't compare directly as I haven't dined there before*. The appetizers are a bit of a joke and the desserts are good but not great. The entrees were really good as were the characters but if Snow White is not your thing I don't see it being worth it.

Chippy

Original Poster
If it were up to us, we would also choose Cali, no question. However, choice seems to be daughter's and budget may play a role in this too.
Thanks - we were able to get the free DDP so price in not as big an issue as getting he best experience for the girls.

Chippy

Original Poster
We will see the fireworks in the park our first night. My daughters always loved watching Wishes from the roof of the Contemporary and the food is right up their alley! We've eaten at Artists Point in the past - it's just the character experience that is luring us in this time. Our dining choices were made primarily by the girls. We're dining in a few place we never considered and one we had not enjoyed before - but its been over 10 years so time for another try. It's a seven night trip. One of the girls has not been before.

Chippy

Original Poster
I agree that if it's your first time with Happily Ever After the best way to view it is in the park.
We did the Snow White dinner last week and the food is definitely not signature level *edit: assuming that's what you are looking for if your other choice is Cali-I can't compare directly as I haven't dined there before*. The appetizers are a bit of a joke and the desserts are good but not great. The entrees were really good as were the characters but if Snow White is not your thing I don't see it being worth it.
Thanks! I am still trying to decide and we are only 10 days from the start of our trip!

Chippy

Original Poster
Cali Grill. The view from CR is my fave.
Thanks! I am leaning that way but it's a group decision. We didn't book any other character dining or I'd make the decision myself. I may see if I can add a character meals somewhere else and stick with Cali Grill. However, we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge and it would be nice to dine there one evening.

We had the unfortunate chance to do the Storybook Dining.. It is a great chance to meet the Evil Queen (which was a cool experience) however, the food..........Not so much :( very limited and not good at all. If your family is adventurous eaters, you might enjoy. I would take Cali Grill over 99% of all options in WDW for a dinner. Get that window seat at 7:45pm, take your time, enjoy the meal and watch the fireworks!

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

To answer the original request....
If food quality matters at all? California Grill. This is a SIG Restaurant - Storybook Dinning is a 1 DDP credit Character Restaurant.

Given that this is a very special Graduation Dinner? PLEASE consider the quality of the dinner :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom