dining without ressies, week before Christmas

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello All. I have a friend who is going to WDW the week before Christmas (12/17-12/25) with a group of 7 and she was wondering how hard it would be to get a sit down meal without reservations. I always have reservations, so I really don't have any idea. My guess is that it's impossible for places like CRT and Le Cellier, but for medium and low popularity sit down eateries I don't have a clue. So any experiences with this are appreciated.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Party of 7 the week before Christmas...I would put their odds of finding availability at a table service restaurant somewhere around the odds of winning the lottery while simultaneously being struck by lightning and being attacked by a shark. :D They might get lucky, but they have a large party and are going on one of the busiest weeks of the year. Everything is stacked up against them. Their best shot of finding walk up dining will be at Epcot in particular Germany, Morocco and possibly 9 dragons but even that is a long shot.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Party of 7 the week before Christmas?

They're out of their mind. They'll be eating counter service every night.

lighteningqueen

Ditto on the above BOOK something even if they cancel.. I found the first 2 weeks of Dec even hard for most places to get a seating.. Counter service here they come...

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
If they're going to even attempt this plan, I'd suggest they shoot for lunches whenever possible. It's often possible, even with a large party, to walk up to places like Biergarten, Marrakesh and Nine Dragons for lunch. Other locations may not be as easy, but still have a better chance at lunch than they would at dinner.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I have always felt ADR's were a must, but last spring break I just walked up to Kouzzina and got seated and I began to wonder what my success rate would be if I tried it all week. I still wouldn't do it. Sometimes we have to wait a fair bit with ADR's, I can't imagine just standing in front of CP or something for hours. I've already told her that it's going to be incredibly crowded and I would make ADR's and there are no penalties for not showing up, so I think your replies will really help make my argument better. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. I have always felt ADR's were a must, but last spring break I just walked up to Kouzzina and got seated and I began to wonder what my success rate would be if I tried it all week. I still wouldn't do it. Sometimes we have to wait a fair bit with ADR's, I can't imagine just standing in front of CP or something for hours. I've already told her that it's going to be incredibly crowded and I would make ADR's and there are no penalties for not showing up, so I think your replies will really help make my argument better. :lol:
There is a reason for this....it is not a popular restaurant. It is not that the place is bad, but it has that love it or hate it style of cuisine.

lighteningqueen

Master Yoda is so right. The ones that people are usually able to get something is because they are not popular or not particularly good enough to get ressies for. BUT, On the penalty aspect I would hope that they if they change their minds on eating at a place you have booked for them, that they call and CANCEL so that someone else can use that time frame. Or go up to the poteum and cancel there some time during that day. Otherwise they just need to go with QS dining plan.

EvilQueen-T

how prepared are they to be flexible, disappointed and maybe have an awful lot of hamburgers during their trip? plus they may spend more time going venue to venue trying to find somewhere they can get in to when they could have spent possibly less time taking the time to get to a planned adr. since they're still around the 180-ish mark now why not make adrs? the size of the group is as much a problem as the time of year imo. i find that by the time everyone in a large group decides that "yes" they're hungry, then someone says they don't eat xxx kind of food, then you re think the problem, go to 2 or 3 venues and get turned away or finally get to a venue that says you can but it will be a 2+ hr wait...get the picture...make adrs.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Hello All. I have a friend who is going to WDW the week before Christmas (12/17-12/25) with a group of 7 and she was wondering how hard it would be to get a sit down meal without reservations. I always have reservations, so I really don't have any idea. My guess is that it's impossible for places like CRT and Le Cellier, but for medium and low popularity sit down eateries I don't have a clue. So any experiences with this are appreciated.

I mean, are they against getting ADR's or something?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I mean, are they against getting ADR's or something?

Kind of. They really want to be flexible. I know them pretty well (the matriarch who is paying for everything is the person whom I spend the most time with at work) and recommended the counter service dining plan to them a a couple of weeks ago. However, they're ready to blow some dough and want some sit down meals. This thread will help, since it's more than just me saying ADR's are a good idea.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
There is a reason for this....it is not a popular restaurant. It is not that the place is bad, but it has that love it or hate it style of cuisine.

Well, my whole family loves it and since we're now proud owners at the Beach Club, I'm sure we'll hit it up on future visits.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, my whole family loves it and since we're now proud owners at the Beach Club, I'm sure we'll hit it up on future visits.
That is a good thing. I am a big fan of the restaurant in Germany and I will be more than happy if it remains unpopular so I can keep getting in on those spur of the moment trips.

sarajo

With a party of 7- even during non-peak times- I would think that you'd need ADR's (solely due to the size of the group). You can still maintain some flexibility even with ADR's, as long as you plan according to which park(s) you'll be in on that day, and not scheduling every meal. Our group did the over-scheduling one year (during Christmas week), and it was miserable- we spent more time in restaurants than we did going to attractions :-(

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
That is a good thing. I am a big fan of the restaurant in Germany and I will be more than happy if it remains unpopular so I can keep getting in on those spur of the moment trips.

Yep, this. I love the fact that you can walk up and be seated just about any time. I don't understand why it's not more popular, but it works for me.

I love Kouzzina, too... so this one is welcome to stay unpopular as well :D

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Kind of. They really want to be flexible. I know them pretty well (the matriarch who is paying for everything is the person whom I spend the most time with at work) and recommended the counter service dining plan to them a a couple of weeks ago. However, they're ready to blow some dough and want some sit down meals. This thread will help, since it's more than just me saying ADR's are a good idea.

I'd just email them the link to this thread and say "READ"

Attention person in charge of this trip. It will be YOUR fault when you guys don't have anywhere to eat on your trip!

CaptainJackNO

It will be virtually impossible to eat at a table service within the parks without ADRs. Advise your friend to get ADRs ASAP. Otherwise, they'll be dining outside the parks unless they get Extremely lucky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom