Dining rez expert opinion needed...

Club34

Original Poster
So when discounts just got handed out, we pulled the trigger on a trip. However, this booking was about 100 days from departure so we did not get to book restaurants at 6 months out. At this time there appears to be no table for 2 at Ohana during the last week of January. Same thing for California Grill. Does this seem right? In my previous trips, I rarely had a problem getting walk up at virtually any restaurant during the trip. Any experts out there have any feedback, intel, or advice? I was hoping to hit those 2 restaurants.

Thanks!

nickys

Premium Member
So when discounts just got handed out, we pulled the trigger on a trip. However, this booking was about 100 days from departure so we did not get to book restaurants at 6 months out. At this time there appears to be no table for 2 at Ohana during the last week of January. Same thing for California Grill. Does this seem right? In my previous trips, I rarely had a problem getting walk up at virtually any restaurant during the trip. Any experts out there have any feedback, intel, or advice? I was hoping to hit those 2 restaurants.

Thanks!

When are you going? Both of these are very popular, and at certain times of year they can be hard to get even T 180 days out.

The Touring Plans reservation finder is your friend.

Club34

Original Poster
When are you going? Both of these are very popular, and at certain times of year they can be hard to get even T 180 days out.

The Touring Plans reservation finder is your friend.

Last week of January. I will look into the TTP rez finder you spoke of.

EDIT: Just saw that it was subscription based. My plan is to check daily. Perhaps something will shake loose. Ohana is the one I really want. I can bump to Citrico's or Narcoossee's in place of California Grill.

nickys

Premium Member

EDIT: Just saw that it was subscription based. My plan is to check daily. Perhaps something will shake loose. Ohana is the one I really want. I can bump to Citrico's or Narcoossee's in place of California Grill.

You don’t need a subscription to use the Reservation finder. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can just sign up for free.

Club34

Original Poster
You don’t need a subscription to use the Reservation finder. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can just sign up for free.

Will do and thanks for the tip! [Reading thoroughly apparently not my strong suit]

RememberWhen

You don’t need to pay to use the Touringplans reservation finder. You do need an account, but you can make a free account here: https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/join/basic
Good luck!

Rsj88

Don’t worry too much. Usually during the trip, because of the 24 hour cancellation fee, hard to get reservations will start showing up Even during thanksgiving week I was able to change my Ohana res for another day. I also saw Cali Grill and other hard to get places. I always worry so much about getting the perfect reservation 180 days out and when I get there, there are plenty of openings. So don’t stress too much and keep checking. Touring plans res finder works greats as well!

jkl2000

Did it start with requiring cancelling within 24-hrs? I just remember in 2013 cancelling a couple of ADRs the day of, and I don't think I was charged anything. Maybe I was and didn't notice it!

Amos1784

The $10 per person fee for missed ADRs for all restaurants began October 26, 2011. Prior to that, only certain (aka popular) restaurants charged a late cancellation/no show fee.

2011?! Gosh time flies!! I feel like it was so recent they made that change! :facepalm:

But to the other question, as others mentioned the reservation finder is amazing. There are a few sites that have them and limit the "free" amount so you can use all site to maximize if you are looking for something. I just scored a O'hana reservation for Thanksgiving week, I got a text at 5:30 am that the reservation opened so I jumped on it right away.

Good Luck!

danyoung56

I have a trick that's worked really well for the California Grill. Just show up and go to the bar. They serve the full menu from the bar. I've had several nice meals there without having a rez 6 months out. Just don't go too near MK fireworks time and you'll be fine.

Britt

Thanks for posting this! We’ll be there Jan 22-28 and can’t find any dining reservations lol And we’re a group of 6! I wish it would show what IS available, I might be willing to eat lunch at 2 if I know it’s avail at my favorite place, you know? lol

I’m going to check out that website! <3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom