dining reservation cancellation periods

Nona

Original Poster
How do I find out how late I can cancel a reservation without penalty? I don't plan on cancelling the ones I have, but when you travel with little kids, plans change. If it's needed, we have reservations at the following restaurants: Tony's Town Square, Teppan Edo, Crystal Palace Buffet, Chef Mickey, 1900 Park Fare (Cinderella's Happily Ever After) and Hollywood & Vine (Minnie's Seasonal Dine and Fantasmic).

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
From WDWInfo:

Reservations can be cancelled up to 11:59 p.m. the day before the reservation to avoid the charge. To cancel, guests can call (407) WDW-CNCL, stop by any table service restaurant front desk, call (407) WDW-DINE, or use your My Disney Experience app.

UNCgolf

I've cancelled reservations the day of a couple of times and never been charged a fee. The first time we just decided we didn't want to do dinner at that time -- the CM said they'd waive the fee as a courtesy. The second time my GF wasn't feeling well and the CM cancelled the reservation without even mentioning the fee, nor was I charged.

That doesn't mean they won't hit you with a fee if you cancel the day of, but I think they probably won't, especially if it's at least a few hours in advance.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

I've cancelled reservations the day of a couple of times and never been charged a fee. The first time we just decided we didn't want to do dinner at that time -- the CM said they'd waive the fee as a courtesy. The second time my GF wasn't feeling well and the CM cancelled the reservation without even mention the fee, nor was I charged.

That doesn't mean they won't hit you with a fee if you cancel the day of, but I think they probably won't, especially if it's at least a few hours in advance.
Same here - I have found if you talk to a CM and explain they don't charge you - must be a way for them to cancel your reservation and override that penalty. YMMV

Nona

Original Poster
I've cancelled reservations the day of a couple of times and never been charged a fee. The first time we just decided we didn't want to do dinner at that time -- the CM said they'd waive the fee as a courtesy. The second time my GF wasn't feeling well and the CM cancelled the reservation without even mention the fee, nor was I charged.

did you cancel on your app or call the specific restaurant or what? Sorry kind of rookie

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Officially 24 hours prior.
Unofficially up til 11:59pm the night before.
Last minute cancellation will likely give you a $10 per person fee.
If there is a legitimate reason to cancel last minute then you should go to the restaurant or guest relations to explain the situation. Or you can call 407-WDW-CNCL to speak to a CM about cancelling your dining reservation.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

did you cancel on your app or call the specific restaurant or what? Sorry kind of rookie

It won't let you cancel on the app if it's day of (or within 24 hours, maybe), but when you try, the app gives you a phone number to call. I cancelled mine with that number.

HouCuseChickie

It won't let you cancel on the app if it's day of (or within 24 hours, maybe), but when you try, the app gives you a phone number to call. I cancelled mine with that number.

Not sure about day of, but day before...even inside the 24 hour window, you can cancel on the app. I had to do it twice last weekend because I underestimated how tired I was going to be.

UNCgolf

Not sure about day of, but day before...even inside the 24 hour window, you can cancel on the app. I had to do it twice last weekend because I underestimated how tired I was going to be.

It definitely doesn't work day of (or at least it didn't for me either time I tried). You get a message telling you to contact guest services at a specific number.

HouCuseChickie

It definitely doesn't work day of (or at least it didn't for me either time I tried). You get a message telling you to contact guest services at a specific number.

We encountered this message when connected to Disney WiFi, but were fine canceling if we turned it off and used cellular data. It was kind of bizarre.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Hostile much? I Googled phone number of the Disney Springs restaurant and someone answered and cancelled it for me. Don’t know what to tell you.
Not hostile, just matter-of-fact. The OP asked what to do in a certain situation and the correct answer would be to call 407-WDW-DINE. In most cases, calling a number you find online for a particular restaurant is going to reroute you to that number anyways. You might even be rerouted to a general guest services number and need to be patched over to Dining, adding a step.

JIMINYCR

We had to make a last minute cancellation due to DW feeling ill just hours before our ADR time. We had no problems getting the reservation cancelled without a penalty. I think Disney is accommodating when they are notified and it gives them the opportunity to fill the empty tables quickly instead of having a party of guests not show up and it messes with their reservation/ table turn over.

Chi84

Premium Member
This doesn't apply to the OP's specific restaurants, but most (not all) of the Disney Springs restaurants are on Opentable, which allows more choices for times and can be canceled without penalty. Also, if you are interested in Rainforest Cafe, Yak and Yeti or T-Rex, a Landry's Select card will allow you to be seated without a reservation.

nickys

Premium Member
Just to add, for info.

The WDW website and app will show the cancellation policy for each restaurant. The confirmation email also shows it I think.

Some places have a 48 hour cancellation policy, mainly the ones that you have to pre-pay - CRT, Hope de Doo etc.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If the app lets you cancel. Cancel with the app. Usually you can any time the day before. But if it lets you do it day-of... do it.

If the app doesn't let you cancel, you have two options:

1. Call and politely explain you can't make it. CMs almost certainly won't charge you. They just want to know you're not showing up. If they're running behind anyway (which happens often), or they have walk-ups, it's no issue for them that you don't show up. It's just they'd like to know.​
2. In the app, move the reservation to a later day. And then, after an appropriate amount of time longer than one second, realize you can't make that time, either. So, you cancel through the app.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom