Dining Plan Service ?

tjkref418

I have been reading a lot of negative reviews and comments as to the level of service declining someone sharply for guests on the Disney Dining plan at particpating restaurants. Being on a package that includes dining next May, I was hoping to discover if anyone here can comment as to the validity of this argument, and share their experiences.

Many Thanks for your help in advance everyone!

PotteryGal

I can't say how the service compares to what it was before the dining plan was implemented, as we just completed our first trip to WDW. However, we were on the dining plan, and we had no problems with service. We had sit down service at Whispering Canyon, Garden Grill, Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, The Plaza Restaurant, and Liberty Tree Tavern. We had gracious service at all these restaurants. We also had excellent service at all counter service restaurants. If you are choosing the dining plan because you want sit down restaurants, it more than pays for itself. We actually ended up with extra CS and snack credits, but I will definitely use this plan again.
Hope this helps! :wave:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
There are several old threads on the board. If youve read those you will likely get the same arguments rehashed on here.

Im not a fan, but it is worth it financially if you spend dawn till dusk in the parks like I do.

The food IMHO has suffered and menus are becoming more standard and a little repititious. But perhaps that is to cater for the unadventurous burger and dog brigade.

Upvote 0

Mystic

We just got back from our trip and we had the dinning plan and loved it. We didn't have any problems using it at all. We made sure to tell our server/order taker that we were on the plan and there was never a problem. We'll be using the plan again. We didn't find any difference in service between being on the plan and not being on the plan. And just because something comes with the plan, like an appetizer or dessert, doesn't mean you HAVE to have it. We hardly ever got a dessert with our counter service even though it was a part of the 'package' and some nights I skipped the appetizer and just had the entree and desert. We were never pressured into having something simply because it was offered on the plan. My advice would be to give the dinning plan a try but just to be aware of how you're using your credits. Sit down and plan out ahead of time where and when you plan to use them so you're not surprised.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I had 10 table-service credits when I was on my trip (9/26 - 10/6) and the only place i noticed a decline in service was Prime Time 50's - but the service there has been going downhill way before the dining plan became so popular. Otherwise my service was GREAT! I even ate at Raglan Road 2x because the food & service was so great

Upvote 0

NCState

We have used the Dinning Plan twice and visited twice before without it. I haven't seen or been treated any different. CMs have always been helpful and great to have their services.

Upvote 0

MrsPilk

We have not ever used the dining plan either although we are without a doubt going to use it on our trip next year. I have never realized before that it was such a bargain. I think that as far as service goes you will have good service and not so good service no matter where you are at or if you are on the plan or not. That I feel just depends on the server that you get and how much they enjoy their job or what kind of day they have had ect. Yes we are in the happiest place on earth but these people are at work! I dont know about you but my days at work are not always the best:brick:

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

We found absolutely no difference in service with or without DDP. The servers still get a 15% or 18% gratuity based on the cost of your meal, so it is still in their best interest to treat you as any other guest.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I'm a HUGE fan of the Dining Plan, but I usually am in the parks from dawn 'till dusk. I've never had a problem with service, and the servers are still amply compensated for guests using the plan. Have a great time, and don't worry about it!

Upvote 0
We had wonderful service at all the restaurants we ate ate with the DDP.. There were many restaurants that would wrap up dessert for us because we were too full to eat it there (after apps and dinner).. We had some instances where the service was so good we left a tip on top of what is included in the cost of the plan.. The food was great everywhere.. For me it's the only way to go!!

Upvote 0

disneydaft

We found absolutely no difference in service with or without DDP. The servers still get a 15% or 18% gratuity based on the cost of your meal, so it is still in their best interest to treat you as any other guest.

That doesn't really make sense. With the dining plan they know they are getting their 18%. So it doesn't really matter how well they treat you. They could throw your dinner at you and still get their 18%.

The only bad server we add was Wei at the Plaza restaraunt, He was very un proffesional and tried to rush us through lunch even though the place was quiet.

Upvote 0

tjkref418

Original Poster
good point disneydaft on the tip %.

My guess is that oftentimes the people who are complaining may have received poor service in general (which can happen on occassion to anyone at most any restaurant I am sure) this poor service is most likely not attributable to the use of the DDP.

From the above responses, it would seem that if there was a bad experience there was just one in the entire trip. Which to me shows how terrific the DDP actually may be...:)

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

Our experience with the DDP was great. I found the service and the food choices were on par with anytime I have gone to Disney without the DDP. I recommend it. We definately saved money with the DDP.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

We also left tips on several occasions because we had excellent service. Even though the waiters/waitresses get 15%-18% on DDP, we felt that in 6 or 7 cases (of our 10 table service meals) a few more dollars was deserved.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

That doesn't really make sense. With the dining plan they know they are getting their 18%. So it doesn't really matter how well they treat you. They could throw your dinner at you and still get their 18%.

The only bad server we add was Wei at the Plaza restaraunt, He was very un proffesional and tried to rush us through lunch even though the place was quiet.

You are absolutely correct...I wrote it and I don't think it makes any sense either. :)

What I meant to convey was that I believe it is still in their best interest to treat you well and develop a good rapport. Their percentage is on the total bill and I know that in our case we tended to order some of the most expensive meals (which just happened to be recommended by the server) and enjoyed staying for dessert, coffee, etc. (and 'spending' even more money) as a result of having a great overall experience. Besides that, as noted in an earlier post, an additional tip might be left as well. It's almost always in a person's best interest to be a nice person, for any number of reasons.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom